Triple Rectifier Volume Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyrotn1975

Reaction score
Hey y'all! I was hoping to gain a little insight into a strange problem I am having. I am a proud owner of a Triple Rectifier I've had since 2002. The issue I am having is when I play on channel 2, vintage setting. The volume seems to top out when the volume knob is at the 10:00 position, or close to half. It just doesn't get louder as I turn the knob even all the way up. But when I switch it to the modern setting, it just about rips my face off. I'm not using any effects, plugging right into the amp.
I am not sure if this has always been the case, because in the past, I primarily used channel 2 on the Modern setting. But I joined a softer rock band and the vintage setting is what I am looking for.

If it helps, I am using a Marshall 1960A cabinet, the settings on the rear of the amp are set to vacuum tube preamp and bold setting.

The Vintage setting is definitely not as loud as the Modern setting, but I've not heard of the volume maxing out at 10-12 oclock as you report.

I'm curious to see what others say. How loud does it get? Is it loud enough to be heard fine in a full band practice situation?

Hey man thanks for the response. It is loud enouh to hear, but I am also playing with another guitarist and he's playing a Fender DeVille which overpowers my sound at times.

Ok, the other guitarist in my band has a deville 4x10 and I can easily match him with vintage mode. Do you have the 2 or 3 channel rectifier. If it is a 3 channel, does it do the same thing in the 3rd channel?

I have the 3 channel rectifier, and it happens on the 3rd channel as well. I can approximate the Channel 2 Vintage tone using Channel 3 Modern with a lower gain setting, but it doesn't match 100%. I noticed that the same problem happens on Channel 1 Clean setting.

You are not alone on that. I have the Roadster and Vintage as well as Raw suffer from the same fate as very low in amplitude. I normally use the FXloop so I can run the Master volume control. I have also tried just using the Masters of each channel. Definitely a change in settings is needed to compensate for the change of voice volume level. I guess there are some similarities in the preamp circuits after all with the Rectifier series amps.

Back