Down Sizing - Triple Rec + 4x12 to Roadster combo + cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mexirican

Reaction score
So, it's that time in my life where I have to down size. Wife + Kids + house = I don't NEED a 7 foot tall tower of awesome. I currently own a Triple Rec, Boogie 4x12 Standard Slant, a Boogie 4x12 Straight oversized cab, Boogie 2x12 Recto cab and a Boogie 1x12 3/4 back (converted to closed back with EVM12L :mrgreen: ) Yes, I know it's A LOT of gear. But when you're one of the only guitarists in your area who has had a good job for over a decade and never went through the drug, alcohol, crazy girlfriend, pawned my gear and what ever other phases a lot of musicians go through in their 20s, you benefit from the killer deals. Since I don't play out much anymore, I have no need for 4 cabs. I was thinking about selling/trading my Triple Rec + a 4x12 for a Roadster, then selling the other 4x12. I'll keep the 2x12 or 1x12 depending on what sounds best with the new amp. I know the Roadster is almost 100 lbs, but so are both of my 4x12s. I'm a pretty big guy and I keep in shape, so the weight doesn't scare me.

My question is how will the two compare in sound/tone. I already know all the specs of the amps so I don't need to be reminded that one is 150 watts and the other is 100. How would the Roadster combo compare to the Triple Rec + 2x12 type of thing. I play mostly metal on 7 and 8 string guitars so please keep that in mind.

Thanks.

If you're after a Roadster for extra versatility or 'just because you want one', I'd go for a head, keep one 4x12 and the 2x12. Ultimate flexibility.

I've got a Roadster and 2 x 2x12 Recto cabs. That's another option. Then again, I've got other amp heads so I can a/b amps.

The combo may be 100lbs and you may be OK now, but let's face it, we get older and our bodies change. A head with a 2x12 is reasonably lightweight, compact and will do everything you want.

I don't have a Triple / Dual Rec so I can only go by what others have said regarding tone..... the Roadster is a little darker but nothing an EQ can't fix if you really want to be extra fussy.... I've also read it's 'not as aggressive' but that could be due to the slight tonal difference giving that perception. All I can say is that the Roadster is plenty aggressive.

The clean and 'pushed' modes is what I like about the Roadster. Whack some nice OD/Dist pedals and you can have great crunch tones all day.

As for 7-8 string guitars, I can't comment. I don't own any.

Jump on youtube and see if there's anything that'll help.

-B

+1 on the Roadster head and use of either 412 or 212 horizontal cab. as this package would be easier to manage if you need to move it. I would personally keep the slant front 412 (never had a straight front to compare too.) Actually your idea of a Roadster combo may be a good one as that would be more compact than a head with some cabs and you can use one cover to protect it when it is not in use. I would consider the options if you have a chance to compare the Roadster head to the combo. You may prefer one of the other.

I have a few amps in my collection and I am running out of room in the studio. Things are migrating out of there and invading the rest of my home. I do not have children (except for a dog) as well as now a widower. I can understand the reasoning behind your decision to change your rig. Also I had to deal with only have time to play when nobody was home issues or give it up as that is not going to happen in my house (ex-wife = control freak). My late wife was more into country music, and I am heavy metal hard rock, so to compromise I played blues when she was around. Still when she did hear me play she has complemented on my limited abilities, I think she would have appreciated what I can do now. I made a promise to her to get back into playing guitar but she never heard me again after making that promise. I have played every day a few hours at a time since she passed away. Sorry for the sad story.... Just to make a point that we all will compromise and change our habits for others we care about. I hope in your life you still get the time and chance to enjoy what you love to do. And perhaps as time moves on you can share that experience with your children as well.

Hi bandit,

Sorry to hear your story. A tough time to go through of which I can understand some of it. I'm sure your beloved is watching from above, so keep your promise as best you can.

Agree 100% with you, with taking the chance to do what you love to do. Time doesn't wait for anybody, no matter how young we may be or feel.

Mexirican, take that chance and don't worry if it's right or wrong. You can always rectify (no pun intended) your 'error' if it doesn't suit you. It's no big deal. You'll have some fun along the way, learn what you like / dislike and share the stories with your family while exploring the journey.

Alternatively, keep everything and be like me....... "It's for our son!", says I to the wife.

-B

We all have our own back story to tell, sometimes we make sacrifices or concede to the wish of others. If music is a part of you, hang on to that and your wife should understand. However, when it comes to small growing children any change or compromise is worth it. Also you cannot play loud when there are small ears about. When I go over to my friends house to play guitar, everything is at bedroom level as he has two small children so that sacrifice I can respect and understand. I could have been there with my ex-wife but for some reason I am glad I did not have children with that individual as she was a nutball, that would be unfair to a child to grow up with her as a mother. Sure that may sound mean or disrespectful but sometimes the truth sounds unrealistic. As for my late wife, I miss her and nothing will change that. Learning to accept loss of that magnitude is difficult especially when your world turns upside down and your perspective becomes distorted beyond reality. This is part of life, unfortunately, that in a long term relationship, one of you will have to deal with this situation. I would have preferred to get old and loose my marbles first before that would have happened. We cannot chose when we die, it happens to all of us. Why wait for tomorrow what you can do today? I have decided to enjoy my life what is left of it. Learn new things to occupy my time. I will not take on playing piano or keyboard, I did that as a child and dreaded every minute of it as it was forced upon me by my parents. The guitar on the other hand was something of interest to me and I am self taught. As an old fart, I started playing the drums, and found this is too much fun and wonder why I have not done this before. Life experiences cause change in ourselves. For I too have given up on music for a long time and now that I have discovered it again I will refuse to stop. I had a guitar (my first Carvin I had ordered new) dedicated in her memory and I think of her every time I look at it or play it. I do not mean to hijack this post. I am getting better as I do not often make reference to my late wife. Perhaps it is timing since it has been 4 years since her passing on November 15. Thank you for your comments.

I think the Roadster combo would be a great deal, compact, roll it around on its casters. Will be much smaller than a full stack but will provide more than you think as the Roadster also has reverb where as the triple rec does not. I would personally try one out first before making the change.

Latest posts

Back