Mini Rectifier vs. Rectifier Recording Preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderJollyRoger

Reaction score
Since my band is more or less inactive at the moment, I'm trying to get my homerecording / practicing up to date.

I've been wondering what the biggest difference between let's say the Mini Rectifier and the 19" Rectifier Recording Preamp is - considering that I would use the FX Loop of the Mini Rectifier to send the preamp signal into my Interface and into an impulse loader which should probably more or less be the same what I can do with the Recording Preamp.

I'm aware that I would need a loadbox for the Mini though - or something like the Torpedo Live, which I could also use with my Dual Rectifier if I want to take it home with me. In that case the Mini's EL84 would come into play, but let's not split hairs. I also could use a small cab at home if I wanted to, which the RRP cannot.

So, anyone has experience with this or the recording preamp especially ? Here, it's almost twice the money as the Mini Rectifier - which is a full amp I could also use as backup if needed ... is the quality that much better or is it the different options that the Preamp gives me ? For my recording purposes, I'm mainly interested in the good old Modern Mode anyway ...

For clarification, I don't plan to buy the preamp, I'm just curious what could justify the huge price difference.

I don't know why the RRP is more expensive. Possibly because a lunchbox amp price point is low, regardless of what it may include.

My understanding is that the MRZ is a bit more like a single rec than a dual rec, and also has a bit of its own voice, more useful for classic rock. I found that to be true, as I gigged with it for a couple of years and it was awesome for that.

The EL84s are not the greatest, so using a Torpedo won't give you the big lows that a DR would have. You could use a Power Station with the MR to get closer to that.

In lieu of a dummy load, you could put a plug in the FX return that is shorted T-S. No signal to the power section should be safe with no load. Then just use the FX send and an IR. You will want a 100W 6L6 Ir plus a cab IR for best DR emulation probably.

On its own into a cab, the MR is surprisingly loud. And you have to run it pretty loud to get it to sound like it is supposed to.

UnderJollyRoger said:
Since my band is more or less inactive at the moment, I'm trying to get my homerecording / practicing up to date.

I've been wondering what the biggest difference between let's say the Mini Rectifier and the 19" Rectifier Recording Preamp is - considering that I would use the FX Loop of the Mini Rectifier to send the preamp signal into my Interface and into an impulse loader which should probably more or less be the same what I can do with the Recording Preamp.

I'm aware that I would need a loadbox for the Mini though - or something like the Torpedo Live, which I could also use with my Dual Rectifier if I want to take it home with me. In that case the Mini's EL84 would come into play, but let's not split hairs. I also could use a small cab at home if I wanted to, which the RRP cannot.

So, anyone has experience with this or the recording preamp especially ? Here, it's almost twice the money as the Mini Rectifier - which is a full amp I could also use as backup if needed ... is the quality that much better or is it the different options that the Preamp gives me ? For my recording purposes, I'm mainly interested in the good old Modern Mode anyway ...

For clarification, I don't plan to buy the preamp, I'm just curious what could justify the huge price difference.

I own and use a Rectifier Recording Preamp. First, your pricing is off. The Mini Rectifier is $999.99 and the RRP is $1499.99 which is 50% more, not 100%.

Is the quality that much better? Since the RRP was designed to work with other studio gear the quality had to match. If sure an electrical engineer could tell you all about it. Mesa did emphasize the fact it took 3 years to get the "Record Outputs" to sound right. Those outputs account for the preamp, imaginary poweramp, imaginary speaker cabinet and speakers, and imaginary microphone. :shock:

Is it the different options that the Preamp gives me? The RRP gives you one foot in the guitar world and one foot in the pro audio world. With that in mind, the RRP does not give you very many options, but the ones it does give you are pretty significant. However, my main amp is a Roadster so my perception of options might be skewed. :)

Thank you both for your insights. I keep my eyes open if something pops up on the used market ... like I said, I'm not really in the need to buy anything.

Oh, regarding the price difference: I live in Germany, and not too long ago, the Preamp was almost 75% more than the Mini Rec. Now the Mini got more expensive, so it's closer to the Preamp :lol:

On a sidenote, let me tell you, I've played a few lunchbox amps now and most of them can't hold a candle to the Mini. Not mentioning any other brands, most of them are either only one channel (or give you some sort of half-assed fake clean), noisy as hell, don't sound good, whatever ... the Mini might be relatively expensive, but it is definitively a real 2 channel amp in a small version.

I disagree that the RRP is more "pro" than the Mini Rec. Both are "pro" in the sense that they are high-quality circuits and construction. The fact that the RRP is designed to plug into other "pro" equipment is a feature, not a measure of quality. In that sense, the MR loop is designed to plug into whatever FX you want, "pro" or not.

What really matters is how you will use it. The MR gets recto tones into a speaker cab out of the box, but would need a speaker emulator for recording. The RRP emulates recto tones for recording out of the box, but would need something like the 2:100 power amp to get the same from a speaker cab.

UnderJollyRoger said:
Thank you both for your insights. I keep my eyes open if something pops up on the used market ... like I said, I'm not really in the need to buy anything.

Oh, regarding the price difference: I live in Germany, and not too long ago, the Preamp was almost 75% more than the Mini Rec. Now the Mini got more expensive, so it's closer to the Preamp :lol:

On a sidenote, let me tell you, I've played a few lunchbox amps now and most of them can't hold a candle to the Mini. Not mentioning any other brands, most of them are either only one channel (or give you some sort of half-assed fake clean), noisy as hell, don't sound good, whatever ... the Mini might be relatively expensive, but it is definitively a real 2 channel amp in a small version.

Ah, I did not realize you lived in Europe. Have you been to MUSIC STORE in Cologne? I hear they have a bar in the store. :lol:

I like the Mini Rectifier too. I think your perception is accurate on how it stacks up to other amps. My intention was not to disparage the Mini Rectifier in any way, but since so few people own the RRP (let alone like it or put up with the learning curve) I felt it needed more explanation.

Here is the manual. The feature set is unique and the manual is a fairly interesting read as far as manuals go.
http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/User%20Manuals/RectifierRecPreAmp.pdf

elvis said:
I disagree that the RRP is more "pro" than the Mini Rec. Both are "pro" in the sense that they are high-quality circuits and construction. The fact that the RRP is designed to plug into other "pro" equipment is a feature, not a measure of quality. In that sense, the MR loop is designed to plug into whatever FX you want, "pro" or not.

What really matters is how you will use it. The MR gets recto tones into a speaker cab out of the box, but would need a speaker emulator for recording. The RRP emulates recto tones for recording out of the box, but would need something like the 2:100 power amp to get the same from a speaker cab.

I wrote "The RRP gives you one foot in the guitar world and one foot in the pro audio world." This is a true, and rather significant, statement and there is really no other efficient way to write it. You are welcome to disagree with whoever you want but in this case, you are disagreeing with Mesa/Boogie (see manual).

Given To Fly said:
I wrote "The RRP gives you one foot in the guitar world and one foot in the pro audio world." This is a true, and rather significant, statement and there is really no other efficient way to write it. You are welcome to disagree with whoever you want but in this case, you are disagreeing with Mesa/Boogie (see manual).

IMO it is just a marketing assertion. It is ambiguous at best. "Pro audio" has become a blanket term for ANY recording equipment, per music store usage in their "Pro Audio" departments, where most of the stuff is consumer or "prosumer". I don't doubt that any Mesa gear is pro-quality, but I do doubt that the RRP is especially high-end just because it has XLR out. Opinions may vary, that is just my own. And it's not the first time anyone has disagreed with Mesa. See the JP-2C manual debacle for the most recent case.

Given To Fly said:
Is the quality that much better? Since the RRP was designed to work with other studio gear the quality had to match. If sure an electrical engineer could tell you all about it.

I am that electrical engineer.

Not trying to pick a fight, I just have a strong opinion about this. Feel free to disagree.

elvis said:
Given To Fly said:

IMO it is just a marketing assertion. It is ambiguous at best. "Pro audio" has become a blanket term for ANY recording equipment, per music store usage in their "Pro Audio" departments, where most of the stuff is consumer or "prosumer". I don't doubt that any Mesa gear is pro-quality, but I do doubt that the RRP is especially high-end just because it has XLR out. Opinions may vary, that is just my own. And it's not the first time anyone has disagreed with Mesa. See the JP-2C manual debacle for the most recent case.

Given To Fly said:
Is the quality that much better? Since the RRP was designed to work with other studio gear the quality had to match. I'm sure an electrical engineer could tell you all about it.

I am that electrical engineer.

Not trying to pick a fight, I just have a strong opinion about this. Feel free to disagree.

Just to clarify a few things, I came up with that quote, not Mesa/Boogie, and it is my honest opinion, not an ambiguous marketing assertion. Honesty is rarely ever mistaken for marketing so, in a backward sort of way, you paid me a generous complement. Thank you!

The disagreement I was referring to was not like the JP-2C, it was more like disagreeing with Mesa about the fact they actually built the RRP in the first place with a purpose in mind. Just a little bit of internet miscommunication; it happens. :lol:

The RRP has no XLR outputs, only TRS, but that is not important. Since you are an electrical engineer, I hope you get a chance to open up one these Preamps (literally, not sonically). You have the advantage of knowing what you are looking at.

No worries! We all have strong opinions about something and mine are not really relevant to the discussion. 8)

Perhaps our pirate friend UnderJollyRoger has an additional opinion he would like to share?

Ah, I understand now. Thanks for the clarification!

And thanks for not taking me too seriously :lol:

And if you send me your RRP, I'll be happy to crack it open and take a look :shock:

Given To Fly said:
Perhaps our pirate friend UnderJollyRoger has an additional opinion he would like to share?

Nope, I'm fine :lol:

Like I said, I don't really have the need to buy anything. I have a Dual Rectifier, so I'm covered pretty good. Anything else is just a little luxury for homerecording or whatever. I keep an eye open from time to time on ebay if a steal pops up.

But I think I'm probably better off with a Mini Rec. The RRP surely is nice, but it's missing the power amp, and just for fiddling around at home it's probably overkill for me. The Mini Rec can basically give me the same preamp-signal plus it could double as a small gigging rig/spare for the Dual Rec, which makes more sense for me.

Again, thanks for your insights.

Back