Tremoverb for 90's punk tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blenderhead

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

First time poster here. My fave tones are from those 90's punk bands (Pennywise, NUFAN, Lagwagon, NOFX, Face to Face...etc). I know many of these bands used and still use the Dual Rec. I have my eyes on a good deal on a Tremoverb head. So my question is:

Can the Tremoverb get me those tones (especially Fletcher's tone in Pennywise)? Is the Tremoverb any different from the Dual Rec other than the tremolo? I am very new to Mesa stuff, but am looking to join the team soon!

Thanks in advance!

Go try it and see what you think. There is not huge differences in the sound. But there is some. The clean channel is much better. The Red and Orange is a bit smoother. I don't think most people would be able to tell the difference in a blind test.

Contrary to many o many opinions, the Trem-o-Verb covers the 2-channel Dual Rectifiers. ToV has an added Blue mode, Reverb, and Tremolo. That's basically the difference.

You should have no problem getting that tone of those bands you mentioned. Its fairly high gain tones so you would be using the Red Channel, Modern Mode. Then play with your gain and tone controls. Dial all the tone controls at 12 o'clock at first. Then dial either way to your liking.

Its a great amp! I've seen them go for $1200. The best price I've seen was $900 on consignment at a local store. It was in mint condition.

RR said:
Contrary to many o many opinions, the Trem-o-Verb covers the 2-channel Dual Rectifiers. ToV has an added Blue mode, Reverb, and Tremolo. That's basically the difference.

You should have no problem getting that tone of those bands you mentioned. Its fairly high gain tones so you would be using the Red Channel, Modern Mode. Then play with your gain and tone controls. Dial all the tone controls at 12 o'clock at first. Then dial either way to your liking.

Its a great amp! I've seen them go for $1200. The best price I've seen was $900 on consignment at a local store. It was in mint condition.
Thanks! I like the dual tones, but I would never use the tremolo effect but if it sounds just like a regular dual...all the better.

Now how about a single rec? Will that get me those tones as well? Or is that a totally different beast from the dual? I see the singles come up on CL occasionally and they're cheaper than the duals...and less tubes too!

stephen sawall said:
Go try it and see what you think. There is not huge differences in the sound. But there is some. The clean channel is much better. The Red and Orange is a bit smoother. I don't think most people would be able to tell the difference in a blind test.

When you say the red and orange channels are smoother, do you mean to say the regular duals have a more aggressive or "meaner" tone than the tremoverbs?

Blenderhead said:
stephen sawall said:

When you say the red and orange channels are smoother, do you mean to say the regular duals have a more aggressive or "meaner" tone than the tremoverbs?

No.... The difference is extremely little. The highs are not as raw. But individual amps sound a little different. So it would be easy to find the opposite.

stephen sawall said:
Blenderhead said:
stephen sawall said:

No.... The difference is extremely little. The highs are not as raw. But individual amps sound a little different. So it would be easy to find the opposite.
So essentially, all versions of the recto sound basically the same (except for the little differences in individual amps)?

And also...I have a cab loaded with Greenbacks. Do these high gain Mesas like greenbacks? Or would the V30 loaded Mesa cabs be better suited for the tones I'm trying to emulate?

I use my three channel dual rec for 90's punk/emo/post hardcore type tones and I love it. I have never played through a tremoverb but I'm sure it would be great. I have played single rectifiers and I liked the dual better, but that is just my preference so if you have an opportunity to try one out, give it a shot and see if it does what you want it to.

deeman said:
I use my three channel dual rec for 90's punk/emo/post hardcore type tones and I love it. I have never played through a tremoverb but I'm sure it would be great. I have played single rectifiers and I liked the dual better, but that is just my preference so if you have an opportunity to try one out, give it a shot and see if it does what you want it to.
What kind is speakers are in your Ampeg cab?

Blenderhead said:
Can the Tremoverb get me those tones (especially Fletcher's tone in Pennywise)?

Pennywise was a Mark IV. NoFX was a Mark III, although if I remember correctly they used Dual Rectos and Mark IVs as well.

For sonic reference, Offspring was also a Mark IV.

Will a T-Verb get that sound? No. A Rectifier is more Blink 182 than Pennywise.

Additionally, doing a quick Google search, NUFAN was Vox and Fender and Face to Face appears to be Vox and Marshall.

Lagwagon seems to have used everything. Rectifiers, Soldano, VHT, Marshall. Not sure if its because they were renting backlines or if they just changed things up a lot.

Blenderhead said:
deeman said:
What kind is speakers are in your Ampeg cab?

Celestion G12 of some variety that cost about $80 a pop which I cannot remember off the top of my head.

The cab was built well, its old but it isn't the best. Even though I could afford it, I have not upgraded since I got the cab 15 years ago or so.

screamingdaisy said:
Blenderhead said:
Can the Tremoverb get me those tones (especially Fletcher's tone in Pennywise)?

Pennywise was a Mark IV. NoFX was a Mark III, although if I remember correctly they used Dual Rectos and Mark IVs as well.

For sonic reference, Offspring was also a Mark IV.

Will a T-Verb get that sound? No. A Rectifier is more Blink 182 than Pennywise.

Additionally, doing a quick Google search, NUFAN was Vox and Fender and Face to Face appears to be Vox and Marshall.

Lagwagon seems to have used everything. Rectifiers, Soldano, VHT, Marshall. Not sure if its because they were renting backlines or if they just changed things up a lot.

You are right about Lagwagon...they use everything! I know Fletcher uses dual recs almost exclusively these days.

I own a Tremoverb, I used to have a single Recto, and I've played duals & triples at stores. With the disclaimer that there are lots of differences even amp to amp...

Had to sell the single, it was just too fizzy.

The duals & triples were what you'd expect.

The T-verb is a keeper. It's godly. It's the darkest of the rectos (which IMO is a good thing), and out of the box with the tone stack at at noon it just kills. I had Mike B. clean mine up & fix the LDRs and this amp isn't going anywhere. Also, of all the Rectos I've played, it's the only one that sounds good at house practice volumes.

The early Incubus albums were T-verbs, for a tonal reference.

I do love "The Unknown Road" tone, though. :)

GJgo said:
I own a Tremoverb, I use to have a single Recto, and I've played duals & triples at stores. With the disclaimer that there are lots of differences even amp to amp...

Had to sell the single, it was just too fizzy.

The duals & triples were what you'd expect.

The T-verb is a keeper. It's godly. It's the darkest of the rectos (which IMO is a good thing), and out of the box with the tone stack at at noon it just kills. I had Mike B. clean mine up & fix the LDRs and this amp isn't going anywhere. Also, of all the Rectos I've played, it's the only one that sounds good at house practice volumes.

The early Incubus albums were T-verbs, for a tonal reference.

I do love "The Unknown Road" tone, though. :)

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm really kicking myself for hesitating on the Tremoverb!

I used my Dual Recto Rev F for punk tones back in the day. The 100watt greenback 4 x 12 sounds great but you end up having to run the amp at 50 watts by removing a couple of power tubes.

The mesa I think has a great punk rock tone is the Electra Dyne. Vintage Hi mode sounds like a cross between a Mesa Boogie Mark 1 and a Marshall JCM800 so it just has 'that' tone, especially when being paired with a Gibson Les Paul.

And, the 45 watt mode pairs up nicely with a greenback 4 x 12.

Just have cash ready and keep an eye on Ebay, GC dot com (used) & Reverb, and more will pop up. Just also budget for a trip back to Mesa to have Mike go through it & update the LDRs. Keep all this in mind for your budget & it's worth it. All told I'm about $1200 in mine.

The combos usually go cheaper than the heads because they're so stupid heavy no one wants to move them.

Back