Help with Buying a Dual Rect

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier but I have a couple of questions about it. I would really appreciate if you guys can help me with it.

I live in an apartment so I can't really crank the amp too loud at home, but I also need it for the gigs. I understand that these amps just won't sound as good at lower volumes and how they shine when you crank them up; but my question is, will they by any chance be apartment friendly? Can I actually get a low volume from them at home? even at the cost of a poor-quality sound

I was thinking of getting the newer generations (50/100) to use 50watter with a 1x12 cab; but I'm not sure if that's still gonna be too loud for an apartment?

Will 50watter actually make a big difference? Or should I just not spend that much and get a used one of the older generations?

What pickups are you using in what tuning? You can use an older dual rec as a 50 watt if you remove 2 tubes. What kind of music are you playing? The new rectos the Multi watt sound different then the non multiwatt so you have to try both my opinion is the older sounds better but that's where I started. I prefer the mid 2000s 3 channels you can get a very decent "quiet" tone with emgs or get a pedal that has a decent sound you like and turn the volume down. Second for the apartment if it's not a combo don't waste money on a Mesa 1x12 or mesa 2x12 just get a cab that can handle the head for the lowest price you can find. Then get a good 4 or 2x12 and leave it at the practice spot if you are in a bind and cannot do that get an avatar 2x12 it won't break the bank and will sound great. There are a ton of rectos out there I'd suggest a 3 channel they cover a ton of ground.

BrentSSL said:
What pickups are you using in what tuning? You can use an older dual rec as a 50 watt if you remove 2 tubes. What kind of music are you playing? The new rectos the Multi watt sound different then the non multiwatt so you have to try both my opinion is the older sounds better but that's where I started. I prefer the mid 2000s 3 channels you can get a very decent "quiet" tone with emgs or get a pedal that has a decent sound you like and turn the volume down. Second for the apartment if it's not a combo don't waste money on a Mesa 1x12 or mesa 2x12 just get a cab that can handle the head for the lowest price you can find. Then get a good 4 or 2x12 and leave it at the practice spot if you are in a bind and cannot do that get an avatar 2x12 it won't break the bank and will sound great. There are a ton of rectos out there I'd suggest a 3 channel they cover a ton of ground.

I use EMG 81/60, and mostly standard tuning or half-step down sometimes. So if I understood you correctly, the master volume is capable of giving you some low volume apt friendly sounds, right?
About the generations, new ones (50/100) literally cost double what a used older generation one costs. So the only reason I thought I'd go for one would be if it actually could produce a much quieter sound. If the difference is not significant from 100watts to 50watts, then I think I'd rather buy a used one for around $1K.

I honestly think it is much easier to find yourself some good Amp Simulation software and play through that over some half decent hifi-speakers or studio monitors instead of lugging your head around, trying to tame the beast :mrgreen:

From my own experience, my Multiwatt-Rectifier sounds pretty bad when turned down to anything in the region of "apartment-friendly". Granted, that was over a 4x12 with the same EQ-settings I use when playing loud, but still ... these amps aren't made for quiet playing, even when it's possible, yes. YMMV, of course ...

It is NOT apartment friendly. I keep mine at my rehearsal space and I have a 2 watt Fender Greta at home I use for practice.

There are plenty of cheap practice amps out there. Just go with that and don't bother using the dual rec in your apartment. It won't be worth it.

UnderJollyRoger said:
I honestly think it is much easier to find yourself some good Amp Simulation software and play through that over some half decent hifi-speakers or studio monitors instead of lugging your head around, trying to tame the beast :mrgreen:

From my own experience, my Multiwatt-Rectifier sounds pretty bad when turned down to anything in the region of "apartment-friendly". Granted, that was over a 4x12 with the same EQ-settings I use when playing loud, but still ... these amps aren't made for quiet playing, even when it's possible, yes. YMMV, of course ...

lol I totally get what you say, but the problem is that I'm an analog person. That's why I've never gone for Kemper or Fractal even though they can get a fairly close sound to analogs.
But hey, you pointed out something good though! So since you own a multiwatt rect yourself, you said you could actually get it to the region of apt friendly? I understand that the sound quality is strongly compromised, but as long as I can actually "use" it at home, that's perfect; because I can crank it loud anytime I want in gigs. So I'll settle for a poor quality sound at home.
All I want to make sure is that it's actually usable in my apt; if the lowest volume is still too loud for the neighbors, I don't want to get evicted :lol:

deeman said:
It is NOT apartment friendly. I keep mine at my rehearsal space and I have a 2 watt Fender Greta at home I use for practice.

There are plenty of cheap practice amps out there. Just go with that and don't bother using the dual rec in your apartment. It won't be worth it.

Since you own one, is the master volume capable of giving you a very low-volume sound for an apt? I do understand this comes at the cost of compromising the sound quality; but I just want to know if it can actually be "used" in an apt without my neighbors complaining.

My second question for you is that I see you have a 4x12 cab. How much of a difference will a 1x12, or 2x12 make compared to a 4x12 for an apt? If again I can't get a low-volume sound for an apt from a 4x12, should I just get a 1x12?
and keep that in mind that I need it for gigs too... :D that's what makes me go for at least a 2x12.

If you want versatility for sound levels and tone, Hughes and Kettner's Tubemeister or Grandmeister are great. An inexpensive option is an Orange Micro Terror or Dark Terror. Blackstar has some good practice amps, too.

I own a 3ch non-multiwatt Rectifier and Recto 2x12 cab and live in a condo. I play mine at lower volumes and it sounds decent enough. Not as good cranked up, but still well enough to jam and rip stuff up.

Lately I've been experimenting with turning the Loop Bypass switch on and using the channel volumes to control it. Slightly different sound than running the master.

Up to you. Like others said: YMMV. What you consider a good sound at low volumes is subjective to you.

I totally agree with the above post. You most certainly can play a Dual Rec (or Single Rec) at low volumes. I do it all the time. Does it sound great? Not really. Does it sound OK - yes. It gets the job done no problem. Don't let folks discourage you - just be prepared for "not so hot" low volume performance.

Removing 2 of the power tubes is not gonna make much difference - I wouldn't bother with that. Just turn down the master or buy a cab clone to go with it.

WMHaze said:
I own a 3ch non-multiwatt Rectifier and Recto 2x12 cab and live in a condo. I play mine at lower volumes and it sounds decent enough. Not as good cranked up, but still well enough to jam and rip stuff up.

Lately I've been experimenting with turning the Loop Bypass switch on and using the channel volumes to control it. Slightly different sound than running the master.

Up to you. Like others said: YMMV. What you consider a good sound at low volumes is subjective to you.
cyber104 said:
I totally agree with the above post. You most certainly can play a Dual Rec (or Single Rec) at low volumes. I do it all the time. Does it sound great? Not really. Does it sound OK - yes. It gets the job done no problem. Don't let folks discourage you - just be prepared for "not so hot" low volume performance.

Removing 2 of the power tubes is not gonna make much difference - I wouldn't bother with that. Just turn down the master or buy a cab clone to go with it.

Thanks guys! I guess that's something in my question that a lot of people don't pay attention to. I totally understand that the sound at the low volume might not be desirable/hot/awesome; and that these amps shine when you crank them loud. All I was asking was if they can produce an apt-friendly volume (i.e. say from knob 0 to knob 0.00001; there's not gonna be a super loud sound that I can't use it in an apt); whether it's poor/undesirable/crappy/etc.

So as long as it's playable, that's all that matters; cause I can always crank it loud at gigs or in rehearsals. I'd welcome any other suggestions you guys may have in terms of the cab option, which generation to buy (new multiwatts or older ones), etc.

Thanks again! :)

Me personally, I find a Mesa Recto 2x12 to be ideal. It's size allows it to have both versatility and projection. Light enough (relatively speaking) to travel to and from home to rehearsal. Small enough to fit in most cars, including my Veloster hatchback. Big enough to project loudly during rehearsal and most small club size venues.

Just my opinion on all the above. I reserve the right to be proven wrong.

If you were buying the amp to JUST use at low volume, I'd discourage you from purchasing the amp. Since you will also be using it for gigs and practice, you COULD use it for both. I don't want to come off the wrong way. Me personally, once I have all the levels perfected I don't want to adjust them at all but for your application, if all you are doing is simply adjusting the master volume then you shouldn't have an issue.

WMHaze said:
Me personally, I find a Mesa Recto 2x12 to be ideal. It's size allows it to have both versatility and projection. Light enough (relatively speaking) to travel to and from home to rehearsal. Small enough to fit in most cars, including my Veloster hatchback. Big enough to project loudly during rehearsal and most small club size venues.

Just my opinion on all the above. I reserve the right to be proven wrong.

I agree but... 4x12 cabs sounds way better :) Especially at low volume. I have the 2x12 recto horizontal but bought two recto 4x12 recently. So I have one for in my living room at low volume and one for practice room. The lows and highs are balanced, smooth and fat but the 2x12 is (too) harsh in the top end. Maybe I hold on for it for a while though because I haven't lug the 4x12 around much yet. :)

I agree with the above posts about the 4x12 sounding way better, but I picked up a 1x12 recto slant for cheap and I think it sounds fantastic for bedroom volume and can actually handle some pretty loud volumes. I find the 4x12 is moving way too much air and projects too much for a bedroom setting, not to mention it's a pain to lug around sometimes.

If you have the money for a 4x12 and a 1x12 that's ideal, I have never gigged the 1x12 so I don't know how it would hold up in a band setting. The 2x12 might be a good compromise then.

I've got an older 2 channel trem-o-verb and it will definately do low volume. It does come at the expense of tone but it still sounds good and it can be quiet enough for the strings on the guitar to be louder than the amp. The trick is to run the channel masters low AND the master volume low as well. On mine, not sure on the newer ones, the MV only works when the loop is activated and this adds another volume control in the send level knob, so you have 3 different controls to drop the volume and it will get very quiet this way also keeping in mind that I'm running a combo sitting on top of a 4x12, so 6 speakers and it will still be very quiet.

Back