Mesa Road King vs Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSpycharka

Reaction score
Hi, i have the occasion to buy mesa Road king combo and for the same price i can buy Roadster combo.
I know they are pretty much identical except for the dual fx loops and progressive linkage. However roadster is closed back with vintage 30's and road king is half-open back with c90's.
I'd like to get that John Petrucci Train of Thought tone and i know he was using cabs with v30's. So my question is, how big diffrence will there be and can i still get that ToT tone with the c90's?

Honestly, I'd worry less about the speakers as they can be swapped out later if they're not to your liking. It's a much lower risk.

Is it a Road King I or II? I've own a couple of RK II's and if it was me, I'd go for the King :)

-Daniel

I have a RK2 version 1 combo and I loaded it with a pair of 75w Creambacks. If I were you Id find a series 2 instead because of the fxloops improvements. There are a few on reverb, ebay and guitarcenter used. If you want a head there is a series one on the guitarcenter used now for 1129 that is not listed as a road king and is a good deal. In the RK2 there is a version one and two, with the latter having the external trigger switch replaced with a mute. Peter

Thank for your help Peter, the only issue is i come from Poland and it would be a big problem for me to buy from US.
But you answered all of my questions so thanks again.

Back