Doug's Tubes 6 x 12AX7 tone kit Mesa Tremoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charvel1975

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been getting a lot of loud buzzing noise on both channels. I know Laura from Valve Queen emailed me a while back and said she thinks I likely have a shorted power tube and said the Ruby short bottle 6L6's are super and sound great. They are the same as the TAD (black plates). They are $80 per quad. Do you think I should get the preamp tubes first before the power tubes? I still have a barely used backup quad of JJ 6L6GC's I bought from Eurotubes some years ago. I play in a 5 piece classic rock/70's/80's hair metal band tuned to standard E with another guitarist. We were playing out almost every other weekend up until now for over 3-4 months. I think I'm going to buy the 6 x 12AX7 tone kit from Doug's Tubes for Mesa Tremoverb head.

http://www.dougstubes.com/guitar-amp-tube-kits/preamp-tone-kits/preamp-tonekit-12ax7-6.html

I was wondering if I needed to select the Balanced Phase Inverter option for the additional $2?

The PI in Rectos are designed to reduce the ability to overdrive and for significant stability. Besides, trying to balance the PI accents the odd order harmonics which are a byproduct of any push-pull amp. There isn't right or wrong, just preference (and maybe snake oil), since guitar amps significantly color the sound on purpose and aren't HiFi. Additionally, the entire power amp and bias design are meant to be very clean, cold, and extremely difficult to overdrive, so balancing isn't really contributing much to the drive character.

As far as replacement, get a pencil and tap your tubes. If one makes noise through the amp, that will indicate what to get. That, or just replace them all.

Back