Recto Reborn - Vintage mode - Channel 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fixxxer

Reaction score
WOW

Has anyone spent time on this channel. I'm blown away at the flexibility of the channel and overall clarity and mean-ness.

I'm very pleased with this channel, it was a pleasant surprise!!!!

I haven't had the opportunity to play one yet. I'm guessing the fixed the brightness vs low end?

afu said:
I haven't had the opportunity to play one yet. I'm guessing the fixed the brightness vs low end?

Most of the fizz is on the red channel's modern voicing. Channel 2 in Vintage is fantastic, especially for leads, and I'm presently pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to coax that same sonic character out of channel 3 on my Mark V.

I've got an old clip of my Recto Reborn's Channel 2 Vintage lead sound on this interpretive dance I did for the solo from Pink Floyd's "Mother" https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/dual-rectifier-channel-2?in=dlpasco/sets/mother-guitar-solo

There are 16 other variations - different amps and modes in that play list. Unfortunately I recorded it before I'd heard of the concept of "re-amping", so it's a list of 17 different takes of the solo.

At the moment, the closest I can get to this sound on my Mark V is using extreme mode.

I'm also pretty certain that this MUCH better performance by Devin Townsend is on Channel 2 Vintage, too: https://youtu.be/7Nu1U0nhEIU

Yeah, I think Devin uses vintage on ch 2 a lot. I think he usually boost it with an od pedal. I know he has used a Maxon in the past, but he is a self admitted gear nerd so he goes though a lot of stuff. I just listened to his new album Transendence for the first time, and I really like the guitar tone. Sounds crushingly massive. I wonder if it's a recto or the Axe FX? Great album so far!

Vintage mode is awesome on the newer rectos. Probably the best mode on that amp.

Edit: this thread made me order a new dual recto. Internet is bad for GAS victims like me.

dlpasco said:
afu said:

Most of the fizz is on the red channel's modern voicing. Channel 2 in Vintage is fantastic, especially for leads, and I'm presently pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to coax that same sonic character out of channel 3 on my Mark V.

I've got an old clip of my Recto Reborn's Channel 2 Vintage lead sound on this interpretive dance I did for the solo from Pink Floyd's "Mother" https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/dual-rectifier-channel-2?in=dlpasco/sets/mother-guitar-solo

There are 16 other variations - different amps and modes in that play list. Unfortunately I recorded it before I'd heard of the concept of "re-amping", so it's a list of 17 different takes of the solo.

At the moment, the closest I can get to this sound on my Mark V is using extreme mode.

I'm also pretty certain that this MUCH better performance by Devin Townsend is on Channel 2 Vintage, too: https://youtu.be/7Nu1U0nhEIU

I meant how Vintage gets tubby when the gain is rolled up on my amp. I wish Vintage worked better with the tube rec, because I prefer it for Clean, Raw, and Modern, but using silicon and changing things up is good and I'm digging Vintage a lot right now. The Reborn is on my radar since it has the diodes and voicings reworked per channel and a series loop. I'd keep this one, too. Might be buried with it.

The new reborn is killer, and I really enjoy it. I enjoy as much as my coveted TOV, which still gets a lot of love. The new dual just sounds a little better in some regards with the cleaner / better effects loop.

Another animal is the roadster. Which again sounds different to my ears.

I have all 3 at the moment, and feel they are different enough in channels 3 and 4 to justify keeping them.

it sounds weird have 3 variations of the same amp, but speaks to how Mesa continues to evolve.

and Fixxxer...

what do you think of the Roadster's Vintage mode on say, channel 3, compared to the multiwatt Recto?

Alan.

I like orange channel better than red in all the modes. Perhaps it's just a better match with my already compressed pickups. (emg, x2n, DB, ect,)
Also if not running a boost I might pick red channel for the additional focus, depending on the rest of the rig.

Fixxxer said:
The new reborn is killer, and I really enjoy it. I enjoy as much as my coveted TOV, which still gets a lot of love. The new dual just sounds a little better in some regards with the cleaner / better effects loop.

Another animal is the roadster. Which again sounds different to my ears.

I have all 3 at the moment, and feel they are different enough in channels 3 and 4 to justify keeping them.

it sounds weird have 3 variations of the same amp, but speaks to how Mesa continues to evolve.

I owned a tremoverb, road king, and reborn at the same time. They're all rectos, but they all have their own take on it. I loved them all.

I have a road King 2 and I wish it had midi programability just so i could use all the Raw and Vintage sounds I have. Absolutely love it in Spongy with Tube Recto on 26l6+2el34. I rarely go into Modern bit it has its uses. I think Vintage in all its forms is hands down the best distortion I have ever played through for everything from Lead rock to lead Metal. It is hands down most dynamic and vocal tone ever. Why everyone says Marks rule for liquid lead tone I'll never understand, It seams flat and one dimensional.

Pablo007 said:
I have a road King 2 and I wish it had midi programability just so i could use all the Raw and Vintage sounds I have. Absolutely love it in Spongy with Tube Recto on 26l6+2el34. I rarely go into Modern bit it has its uses. I think Vintage in all its forms is hands down the best distortion I have ever played through for everything from Lead rock to lead Metal. It is hands down most dynamic and vocal tone ever. Why everyone says Marks rule for liquid lead tone I'll never understand, It seams flat and one dimensional.

Great amp, and vintage on the road king II and the recto reborn is probably the best singing, liquid lead I've ever played. The mark iii and IIC+ mode on the mark v may not sing quite as beautifully, but are also excellent and can tear through crazy fast, articulate shredding. Both are great for whichever solo you are shooting for.

I've always wanted a Mark, the John Petrucci Mesa® Mark Five: 25 looks like a killer amp but for me its so expensive for just a few sounds I like. I find that if I take my Fender ultima chorus pre or my Proco Rat and run it through my mesa I can get them shred tones a lot cheaper. I would love it if they released a road king Power section that was midi programmable then I could run my Halfler T3 pre, my Fender chorus Pre a recto pre or any other pres laying around lol. Dreamer I know. The power section of the road king is really what makes the amp imo.

GAS indeed! :!: I have owned two Tremoverb's in the past at different times and really liked them but the weight was tough. I am getting the recto itch again that the MArk V just is not scratching. I think its time for a new reborn!

Back