Getting ready to swap out my road king II combo speakers.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterdenny

Reaction score
Hey All, got a pair of UK Creamback 75W speakers en route from sweetwater. Ill give you my impressions when complete compared to the Black Shadow C90s as well as my 2x12 V30s. I think this will really make the amp sing and give it a new voicing. Not expecting a massive change but I think it should mellow it out a bit.

hello peterdeny, i have been gathering as much information on the rocking 2 lately, because im about to pull the trigger on one, as soon i i sell my mark iv. Dont want to hijack your thread but... Selling my mark iv is giving me nightmare right now, after owning the amp for the last 10 years. But i do feel like i need a change thought and the roadkill as been on my list for a few month now. I would like to hear your thought on the C90. I know it should give me good clean, but what about the higher gain tone? Also how does the king respond to higher gain tone and lead? I dont play metal whit my band but i do like to pretend once in a while that i play metal...lol Most of my playlist consist of old and modern rock to hard rock to alternative rock some blue and country....lol thats why i thought the king would give me more than the mark iv in term of versatility...

Anyway, can't wait to ear from you about your new speaker choice. Hope its for the best!

Cheers

Definitely interested in the creamback experiment! I thought about just changing one V30 in my roadster combo.

Ok let me start with a reply to Nault.Jama.

I assume you mean the road king series 2. Its an absolutely wonderful amp. I bought the 2x12 combo to replace my trusty 50W rectoverb combo that replaced my previous 100W tremoverb head. All were great amps but hands down the RK2 is my favorite because of the ability to mix and match the tubes. I dont really pair them, but rather run each channel somewhat similar but with different tubes. I have been experimenting with new Mesa tubes, vs EH tubes etc. I have not decided yet which will stay in the power ones but all my preamp tubes I put NOS mullards. I also experimented with GE 6681 which is basically a military grade 12ax7 but found that made the amp a little too sharp. Mind you this is subjective and everyone hears sound differently. But the mullards I find work the best but these are English not the new russian ones. I would shop around you can find deals still. I certainly did.

As to the speakers I really liked the C90s and I did add a 2x12 with V30s but I really didnt love those with this amp. Again this is subjective but I just didnt think they sounded good. However I added a JVM410H head and that seems to really pair well with the V30s. So my original idea was to replace those with the creambacks but decided why not change the combo ones? I got a female 1/4 TS coupler from amazon so that I can run it from the marshall if I choose. So they are on the truck for delivery today and I will see how they sound once I get em in. They will need to break in a bit but Im expecting it to make the cleans more lush and warm over the higher wattage C90s.

Going back at the time I got the combo bc playing out this is great to have one stop shopping but this thing is heavy as ****. So now I kinda wish I had a head since I have the jvm and two stacked would be really cool. Then I could add another cab. I toy with the idea of finding a straight rk cab too but for now Im just doing this. If I decided to sell this RK combo I would replace it with a head and definitely get another cab. However I dont really see the need to do that as I dont really play out much and honestly I might take the jvm instead though I doubt it. I play a lot of clean stuff and the RK is just wonderful for that. It gets really dirty as well but you gotta shape that some to keep it from being to metal imo.

Get your RK and dont look back. Ill update on the cream backs once I can get that complete.

Well just swapped out the speakers and they have not broken in but a few things I noticed first. These speakers tend to be boomier in the bottom end and mids and not as much highs. Kind of like vintage meets modern somewhere in the middle. I need to tweak the eq settings and dial it in and of course allow for speakers to break in but its definately to me a more vintage sounding speaker. I think its nice and I have yet to really A\B it to the V30s in my 2x12 but I think it suits me. Its definately not a clean and controlled as the C90 speakers so quite a change for my combo but I think it reminds me more of the classic marshall 65 style speakers. Of course my opinions are going to change a lot as I dial this in and the get used to these. More to come. I am also going to mess with then and my Marshall JVM410H. Ill be doing some modding soon on that guy as well. Might go blackface on the clean, do the 59 plexi mod and do the OD2 to OD1. But hell I dunno. :)

Latest posts

Back