Copping Lateralus (Parabola)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afu

Reaction score
I've been listening to Tool's Lateralus a LOT. I love the tone Adam gets and I also wanted that velcro sound (which is also similar to STP's Core). I got it with the Dual Rec on Orange Vintage with the following effects: OD/Boost (Nova System TS clone), Phase or Chorus, Noise Gate, and Boss Graphic EQ. Red Modern works, too, but can feedback a little too much for some parts.

I kept clipping the Nova System with a JB pickup (2mm height), so I put the EQ pedal at the end to smash the hell out of the Recto input stage and create a small amount of its own drive. If I used a '70s Gibson pickup like he uses, the parametric EQ on the Nova would work fine (I used 600 Hz center at 1.5 octaves, level at +4 dB).

The OD is set for being only slightly overdriven (2/25 on the Nova, probably a couple of hairs on a TS); Tone is in the middle; Volume at 6 dB (probably <3:00 on TS).

I think Adam uses chorus most of the time, but I prefer phase. It's mainly to get the vocal-like resonance. Flange can also do it as long as it isn't set like a "jet" sound.

The Graphic EQ is a wide-mid boost, approximately 600 Hz center. I cut the treble off with mine to prevent hearing loss (3.2k and above are down). I also dropped the 100 Hz slider a little, until the bass was tight. Pushing the middle makes the other parts growl and does that velcro thing. I maxed the Level slider. Compared to the Parametric EQ, this brutalizes the signal. Pulling the Level down and increasing the OD volume would balance better when killing this pedal.

With these effects, using Raw with the Gain up gets a dark sound that is the Guinness Draught to the other modes' Guinness Stout.

Back