The dreaded thousand bees!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so this is slightly misleading as a topic. I previously posted about my amp being too bright. Not fizzy just bright. I read around the forum that one of the best ways to get a better sound was to open the amp up a bit: the output control. So overall I keep my output near noon and adjust the channel controls to whatever volume is needed for the situation(apartment, practice space, etc).

So the other day I let my friend play the amp dirt a bit at his house. Thought I'd hang out, drink a few beers and etc. Well he previously owned a Peavey XXX so he cranked the Masters and lowered the Output. Apparently the face I made looked like someone **** themselves and I was forced to watch. He kept trying over and over again until he said, "I can't stand this amp." I showed him how I use the Masters to control the volume to take the fizz and make this a heavy amp for metal. He found this confusing and tough because when that output is cranked that much, it doesn't take much adjustment in the matter to make that thing to shake a room. After I packed up my gear and went home, it made me wonder if this is why so many people sell their amp after a few weeks.

deeman said:
There are a lot of dumb guitar players
:lol: Yeah he dimed the gain and also complained about articulation. He asked how I get away with diming the gain. I had to explain I play sludgy metal riffs. "It's meant to be a wall of bludgeoning sound." There was just a ton of things that I simply had to end the questions with "this isn't a typical amp." That being said I think this might be why some players hate the amp.

That amp was not designed to be played in a bedroom. If you want to get a Mesa that will work better (not perfect) for a house, or bedroom look more at the 25w versions. My Mini Rec is much easier to control at lower volumes. But my Single Rec was a PITA, but again its was never designed for low volume.

I often wonder why players think diming the gain is the way to go ?!?

Latest posts

Back