Difference: Vintage/Modern on 3 Channel Triple vs 2Chan

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massless

Reaction score
Hey

I picked up another Recto to accompany my Rev G dual. Its a 3 Channel Triple rec (non-multi watt).

I noticed immediately that vintage mode is a lot darker than on the 2 channel. Modern is still very bright and quite similar to the 2 channel, but there seems to be a vast difference between Vintage(and Raw) compared to Modern on both channel 2 and 3 on the Triple rec itself.

Part of the charm of vintage mode on the old 2 channel is that dropping treble below 12'oclock boosts mids rather than cutting much more top end and doesn't make it dark and woolly (great on low gain settings) - overall brightness of the channel can then be dialled in with presence.

But on the 3 Chan recto dialling down the treble in the same way results in a VERY dark tone.

Is this normal?

From what I understand, this is normal. I think it's something to do with the construction, because the part values and components are the same or pretty similar. There is a filter which is built differently, but the response is almost the same, otherwise they are the same circuits. The relays and other additions could also affect the brightness.

To alleviate darkness on Vintage, I drop the Bass to 11:00 and treat 1:00 as a maximum Gain setting. The distortion doesn't get much greater between 11:00 to 1:00 on the Gain, it just goes from bright to dark, because of the treble boost on the first half of travel from zero.

Also, for the best clarity, Bold power would be essential. Rectifier selection will determine if the lows and highs are firm (silicon) or softened and fluffy (Tube). I use Tube and work around it.

Some settings I like:

(*=To Taste)

P:9
V:*
G:*
B:12
M:12
T:1:30

P:8 - 9
V:*
G:10 - 12
B:1:30
M:1:30
T:1:30

P:9
V:10
G:9 - 11
B:11
M:11
T:1

Thanks for the info. Might try lower gain and use a boost on vintage then.

I think I need to do the series loop mod to it as the loop still introduces some phase cancellation. My 2 chan has the series mod and it made a big difference when using delays.

massless said:
Thanks for the info. Might try lower gain and use a boost on vintage then.

I think I need to do the series loop mod to it as the loop still introduces some phase cancellation. My 2 chan has the series mod and it made a big difference when using delays.

I like the mod I did to my loop. The link in my signature has information for modding the 3 Channel loop.

Back