Converting US amp to NZ 110-240

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backyardburial

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone can help me with a question regarding a transformer swap. There is a 2 channel triple recto for sale over here in New Zealand but its wired for US power. Ive read a little bit about "export" transformers, but Im assuming this one doesn't have one. can anybody tell me, knowing what amp it is (obviously an older triple rec) if its possible/easy to have a new transformer wired in? The amp itself is a fairly good price, so even if its quite expensive it may be worth it. Alternatively, are there now stepdown transformers available that dont weigh as much as a guitar head again? hope someone can help!

Yeah man it's possible. I did it with my dual. You can buy transformers from The Tube Amp Doctor in Germany or Mercury Magnetics etc. it's pretty easy if you can read a schematic and competent with a soldering iron on a PCB. But if your not bothered by using a step down transformer just make sure you buy one over speced for the amp. A 1000w one is plenty. It doesn't affect tone or ruin your amp. So much bull **** on the net about this topic don't believe it trust me. Do you have Jaycar in NZ? That's where I got mine.

Thanks Barry, yes we have Jaycar, is your one not stupidly heavy or large? I think I have been thinking about isolating transformers , which I certainly dont want to be carrying around. maybe a step down isnt such a hassle to lug around?

Yeah man it's heavy and about the size of a six pack roughly. There are some really cheap rectos around at the moment on gumtree and the Facebook sites at the moment already 240v. I can't imagine shipping to NZ being to much.

Hey bud

Yea there are a few cheap dual recto around, there is one that's just popped up just 5 minutes from my house here in Qld (Brisbane) think the guy wants $1100 - that's bloody cheap man.
Shipping should not cost that much

You could also buy transformers from mercury - or Voodoo amp mods etc

A tech will be able to install one no probs

If you want me to check the dual recto out here let me know, its on gumtree

Casey

Thanks guys, they do pop up here pretty often too, its the fact that this is a 2 channel one which has me interested. Ive never heard a 2 channel one but apparently they are a bit meatier and less fizzy than the 3 channels. All good info though, if something is the size of a six pack I guess I could handle lugging that.

Hi backyard...

I did a swap in a Mesa 2:50 power amp. I had the transformer built and installed for $450. An original transformer was $600~650 (can't remember exactly) plus install cost on top of that. Completely outrageous. This was about 4yrs ago. The guy who did it has moved on.

If you factor in the cost of transformer + labour, or if you decide to buy a step down (which cost $ plus additional weight and space needed), I think you're better off buying one that is already 240V, even if costs a little more overall.

If you actually do the costing and also consider the pros and cons (weight / space / convenience), it'll probably balance out in dollars, give or take a little, plus convenience.

Better to save a little longer and be with a 'one piece' item than having multiple pieces and extra weight. We usually don't think about it 'at the time' but eventually it's a pain in the backside carting and setting up extra crap.

I'm in Melbourne.... not that it makes any difference.

-B

I imported a MKV from the states a few years back and got a 1000w step down transformer for $250. Sure it's another thing I need to haul around but in the scheme of things it's not anymore hassle. It's pretty heavy though.

I dunno Apeman..... I've had my MKV (with the step down tranny) up against a friends and I couldn't really tell the difference..... I may be wearing rose coloured glasses but it sounded then same..... But I have to say after reading your post I did look into it because I have a love hate relationship with the MKV.... Like it one day, want to sell it the next but I run it with my roadster so if it's a hating day I turn up the left side (roadster)

Maybe when I've got some cash that I can't work out what to spend it one I'll get an export tranny. I've got a hankering for a Friedman JJ....it may have to wait 8)

Latest posts

Back