Where to now?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryswanson

Reaction score
So if and when Mesa bring out a new recto. What the hell could they possibly do to make it better or different? You can only re voice it so much until it becomes something completely different? One idea I have which would be considered sacrilege by Mesa but a five band EQ in that unused real estate on the front panel would be the ducks nuts. I have a five band EQ in the loop of mine and it's very very handy as you could imagine.

What do you guys think could be done to the old work horse?

I've caught the boost bug. I think a built in, foot-switchable boost/OD would be awesome. H&K have done it with the Grandmeister, Randall has the new KH amp with it, and the Randall EOD88 has a fuzz circuit built in.

Comprehensive midi control would be nice, too.

They could streamline a Recto, make it tube rec only, and call it the Late Bloomer.... or the Turd Blossom... or something similarly funny. I just really like the tube sag (which sounds dirty, too). The original Raw can get sounds a lot like the amp from Led Zep I and the tube rectifier really helps with that sound and feel.

Maybe something designed around those solid state tube thingies.
IMO, at the rate we're going, eventually all vacuum tubes will be banned from production...on this planet anyway.
Hopefully, not in my lifetime.

Can they move tube production to Mars yet :?:

afu said:
I've caught the boost bug. I think a built in, foot-switchable boost/OD would be awesome.

To take this a step further, I think flat out copying Bogner's Goldfinger "Pre FX loop/Boost" feature would be welcome on a Rectifier. Legally, there might be problems but that is out of my realm of expertise.

Given To Fly said:
afu said:
I've caught the boost bug. I think a built in, foot-switchable boost/OD would be awesome.

To take this a step further, I think flat out copying Bogner's Goldfinger "Pre FX loop/Boost" feature would be welcome on a Rectifier. Legally, there might be problems but that is out of my realm of expertise.

That amp looks awesome.

barryswanson said:
So if and when Mesa bring out a new recto. What the hell could they possibly do to make it better or different? You can only re voice it so much until it becomes something completely different? One idea I have which would be considered sacrilege by Mesa but a five band EQ in that unused real estate on the front panel would be the ducks nuts. I have a five band EQ in the loop of mine and it's very very handy as you could imagine.

Roadster with ch 1 & ch 4 as is, ch 2 from Electra dyne and ch 3 from mark V and the back panel would have preset V knobs per channel. The name would then be "Toadster" ;)

Maybe some triaxis II and FR speakers...

Eevil said:
barryswanson said:

Roadster with ch 1 & ch 4 as is, ch 2 from Electra dyne and ch 3 from mark V and the back panel would have preset V knobs per channel. The name would then be "Toadster" ;)

Maybe some triaxis II and FR speakers...

Man, your on to something. Roadster 1 & 4, Electradyne in 2 and a Mark IV from the Mark V in 3 and a preset V footswitshable with a blend knob for each channel.
Call it the "Dual Rectifier Infinity"

Give me more tweed and raw settings. To be able to use clean tweed, dirty tweed, dirty raw and dirty vintage would make me ecstatic.

To be serious:

I'd kind of like an amp which combines the Vintage Recto mode with The Stiletto. 2 Channels, dual rectification, high and low power, 2X EL34 or 6L6GC, Boogie/British switch for preamp voicing and bias. Ch1: Clean/Not-So-Clean or Raw/Crunch. Ch2: Recto Vintage/Tight or Modern/Liquid. What determines the overall character from one side of the slash to the other is the "Boogie/British" switch. It's essentially a Mini with the bigger tubes and a few additional parts. Even a preamp of this would work with the B/B switch affecting only the voicing set.

I'd even pay extra for this amp if it had independent ins and outs to use the two voices in tandem; Boogie on one side and Brit on the other, with shared controls to keep it compact and not too costly. If that isn't practical, maybe a simple, passive mixer could be used to blend voicing sets.

Still, being able to run a stereo signal through an amp would be killer to get some really wide sounds without so much redundancy. I guess it would be meant for people with more modest incomes who can't drop $4000 to buy two amps.

Probably not doable from a circuit standpoint, but then, RS does seem to love a challenge. 8)

In concept though, what could possibly be cooler than a Recto/ high end M style blend? Half Recto, half Stilletto. Sign me up!

IMHO, it would require a 4 channel flagship Road King style and price amp to pull that off. And holy crap just to think about what the inside would look like. It might be the size of a microwave.

screamingdaisy said:
Dreamtheaterrules said:
what voice? Recto?

I can have a vintage/modern switch, but no footswitch.

A company could probably build a one-off of that with the EQ fixed at Noon. That would be pretty simple compared to building a total copy and fairly more ethical. I've thought of building a version of the Raw mode, since it has potential beyond being a red-headed stepchild of the Recto.

Back