New Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought my first dual rectifier used. It's an older 3 channel. I love it but want to fine tune it. I've noticed that all the tubes are Mesa brand with EL34s being the only non stock change. I love playing sludgy/stoner rock guitar stuff in Drop A on a Les Paul knock off with Lace Drop N Gain pickups (think a passive form of EMGs). I'm wondering what would be a good tube replacement? I think the Mesa tubes just sound too bright on modern mode.

Prime example of tones I'm trying to achieve:
https://youtu.be/QG4vS5NvEvY

As far as tubes, 6L6GC Ruby Tubes marked 33-52 PC are the same as Mesa tubes. I use Rubys in the high 30s and it sounds awesome. TAD Medium range 6L6GC will also work, but are expensive and EHX medium should be fine. Using tubes which are out of range will kill the amp. If you're tuning down, 6L6GC will fill in the bottom more effectively.

With some tweaking, Vintage can be made to sound much like Modern and then can be darkened by setting the Presence at 1:00 and rolling it back to kill the treble after making settings which are sort of like this:

Gain: 1:00-2:00 or where you want it
Treble 2:00
Mid: 1:00
Bass: 2:00

The Presence control is really important for removing highs. Modern has a mid-boost built into it on Channel 3. Channel 2 does not have this and might work better for you.

You could also try the Spongy side of the power transformer switch. It lowers the power by about 20% and makes the top become darker. Adjusting the Send to 1-2:00 will add girth as well.

I might have some Ruby 12AX7s laying around. I'll try that. One of the local guys at Guitar Center recommended Eurotube's stock of JJs. It's not going to hurt to treat out different tubes except my wallet.

I'm constantly learning that this amp isn't like others but love that deep tone. I'm just in that stage of fine tweaking it to the nth degree.

all things considered, I have this to offer: play the amp. figure out what it will do as it sits right now. don't agonize on tweaking anything just yet. total time minus tweaking time equals playing time. life is short. don't waste too much of it, just play and enjoy.

I couldn't agree more with thunda1216 - with all due respect - if you can't make the Recto sound pretty much like you want it with the tubes that are in there then maybe you need to change amps.

Also, the guitar in that youtube video was so buried in the mix I really couldn't tell if a Recto could produce that sound or not.

Not trying to sound harsh - but so often here we have folks saying they want a certain "sound" only to find out that the amp they are using as a point of reference is outside of the Recto family.

Certainly the Recto will get you close as it is capable of a wide variety of sounds.

Doing some quick research on the band it looks like one of the guitarists uses a Marshall and the other a Mesa Mark IV and a Fender Twin - so you only have one Mesa in the mix.

Watching a video of them live in 2015 I do see a Mesa Recto of some type underneath a Fender Twin Reverb.

cyber104 said:
I couldn't agree more with thunda1216 - with all due respect - if you can't make the Recto sound pretty much like you want it with the tubes that are in there then maybe you need to change amps.

Also, the guitar in that youtube video was so buried in the mix I really couldn't tell if a Recto could produce that sound or not.

Not trying to sound harsh - but so often here we have folks saying they want a certain "sound" only to find out that the amp they are using as a point of reference is outside of the Recto family.

Certainly the Recto will get you close as it is capable of a wide variety of sounds.

Doing some quick research on the band it looks like one of the guitarists uses a Marshall and the other a Mesa Mark IV and a Fender Twin - so you only have one Mesa in the mix.

Watching a video of them live in 2015 I do see a Mesa Recto of some type underneath a Fender Twin Reverb.

Yeah, spoke with one of the guitarists that used the Recto. Off and on he used a Recto or his JCM 800 2210 which is a dark amp. Almost bought one from a guy but he was a crack head so I decided not to go to that guy's house again. Anyway the one guitarist told me universally he set his amps there same: Bass 10, Mids 6, Treble 0, and Presence to taste. He's been doing that for almost 30 years.

I think one of my issues is that I'm a tweaker. I've had the amp for 3 months now and I absolutely love it but I want to make those really really small tweaks because I have nothing to do besides play my guitar and ride 40 miles on a bicycle to drink at breweries.

Latest posts

Back