Rectifiers, master volume and attenuation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miro9486

Reaction score
Hello

I've been toying with the idea of using an attenuator (probably Koch LB-120) with my dual rec. I'm just wondering if it would do any good for me.

Mainly I run my Ch3 modern master volume at about 9-10 o'clock, and Ch2 vintage about 1-2h later :). FXloop bypassed. Gain usually at 1-2 o'clock. Sooo it's in the "manual recommended" range.

Considering all the "cold bias/clean power section/dominating preamp gain" thing I'm seeking opinions as to whether increasing MV with an attenuation would really be beneficial for DR. Additionally some air probably still has to be pushed to sound anything near good so I'm not considering complete neutering of the amp. Just - would it be that much difference between Ch3 modern MV 9o'clock and i.e. 1-2o'clock with some attenuation.

What is your experience with using attenuators? How high do you run your rectifiers when playing alone, outside the band context?

Using an attenuator will not provide any benefits. Power tubes will wear out faster though.

If a store near you stocks that or can get it (or however you can try one), see if you like it.

I don't know if it will be an improvement, since the power amp is set to be really clean. You might get the PI to begin approaching its limits, adding compression and harmonics, but the power tube section and the bias are designed to stay as clean as possible. Driving it might also change the bass response, because as it shifts into distortion, it loses about 30% of its power and compresses again.

Some people like to mod the bias supply to be adjustable and make the power section distort. Perhaps that would be both less costly and able to get a desirable kind of drive, because the bias supply will both shift into distortion and recover from it more quickly, giving better dynamics.

Others things to consider are using less efficient speakers so they break up earlier or using fewer of your current speakers for the same effect, so you get that kind of distortion. Also, you could slave it to a power amp with the kind of response you'd like to have.

I don't own a rec but I do happen to have some opinions :p I own a hotplate that is currently collecting dust. I bought it with the same thing in mind as you. Of course all tube amps sound better loud. My V opens up and starts sounding best at gigging volumes. But I found out the tone suck from the hotplate wasn't worth it. Other attenuaters don't suck the tone as bad but imo the amp sounds best without it. I only use the hotplate for power amp distortion. It still sucks some tone but at least I can still hear. It's worth it for power amp distortion and really that's what their made for. If you want to go from loud bedroom volume to attenuated gigging volume, an attenuator isn't going to do anything revolutionary for your tone. But like afu said; try to find one you can try out and see if it works for you.

SamuelJ86 said:
I don't own a rec but I do happen to have some opinions :p I own a hotplate that is currently collecting dust. I bought it with the same thing in mind as you. Of course all tube amps sound better loud. My V opens up and starts sounding best at gigging volumes. But I found out the tone suck from the hotplate wasn't worth it. Other attenuaters don't suck the tone as bad but imo the amp sounds best without it. I only use the hotplate for power amp distortion. It still sucks some tone but at least I can still hear. It's worth it for power amp distortion and really that's what their made for. If you want to go from loud bedroom volume to attenuated gigging volume, an attenuator isn't going to do anything revolutionary for your tone. But like afu said; try to find one you can try out and see if it works for you.
+1

I do own a Recto & a Hot Plate, and found that I could get better tone and dynamics/response just using the Output control on the amp.

The Recto's are designed to get their core tone from the preamp & feel/punch from a loud & clean output section.

When I can't play my Roadster at band volume, I use my SS practice amp (Yamaha TH10). I find it a better low volume alternative & I get a better practice session when I'm not fighting a 100W amp to get good dynamics and tone at bedroom levels.

I'm glad that I did get the Hot Plate though, it's great to have a dependable speaker load box for troubleshooting, setting bias, etc.

Dom

I think the other part of his curiosity is whether high channel master volume is a good idea. With the loop off, I cannot recall ever having to go to 10:00. To me it sounds really good around 9:00-ish and is pretty loud. However, I've never played with other people with the loop off.

With the loop on, I keep all of the channel volumes nearly as low as when the loop is off, so to not overdrive the loop, and I push the Output control to get my desired loudness/response.

You would be better off with a reactive load vs a resistive load. Yes, the reactive loads do use resistors but that is not the only load the amp will see. I have been looking into a few load boxes; two notes torpedo and the rivera rock crusher recording. My main purpose would be to use the load box and line out for recording as well as using a microphone on the cab. Normally I just play through the amp and tolerate the volume but seem to have difficulty trying to mic the cab to get a good representation of the actual sound. I do not mind the power soak on the RA100 which is a resistive load but would prefer something more transparent in tonal response. For my Roadster and Mark V, I do not have anything to attenuate at the moment other than the volume control. Perhaps the Mark V does have some means to get the volume down due to the 10W setting but I do not care for the tonal character of 10W mode. For me, I get more satisfaction when driving the power section a bit hard but would prefer it to be a bit lower in volume.

Latest posts

Back