Mesa 25-wat rectoverb 1x12 sounds harsh, raspy. Any ideas?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennyvt

Reaction score
I am SO frustrated with this amp! Been playing Mesa's since Carlos started using them. this amp is very brittle, sterile sounding in the clean channel, and very raspy and harsh in the Lead channel. could it be tubes (amp is 1 year old and has gigged maybe 30 times). I'm about ready to trade it off. Please help.

thanks

Denny

I can't believe no one has any ideas on this problem - especially here on the Mesa forum????

First, what amp settings are you using?

The Presence control needs to be used sparingly, except in Modern. It's meant to be a rather dark amp. If it's bright and brittle with rasp, I would have to wonder if your Presence is maxed out, or nearly so, or the treble too high.

The key frequency spots in the amp on Channel 2 are at about 110 Hz, 220 Hz, 650 Hz, 880 Hz, and controlling the buzz at 1.6khz to 2.4khz. It appears to be tuned to an A with 440 being scooped out. Since the amp is producing so much harmonic content, there are cuts above 1.6hz in a couple of places.

typically, I use modern - 25-watts - gain at about 2, bass - 12, mid - 11-1, presence at about 3oclock. Master is at about 8 or 9.

Channel 1 - Clean, gain 11, treble - 1, mid - off or very low, bass 11 to 1 as needed - master 11 (very little head room here)

Light reverb on both channels. Guitars used - PRS McCarty, Gibson 335, Strat.

Don't know if this will help any, but I bought a new rectifier stack this January.

First new amp in a very long time. It had been just about 4 years since I owned a different rectifier, so I was expecting the same sweet sound. Well, both with that old amp, (bought new in 02), and this brand new one, I had about a 6 month period of just being a little disappointed. The first amp, it was the gain. I wanted more, but then I learned about master volume, fx level, etc. The New amp, there was this harshness like you describe.

I feel that, in both cases, it was a simple case of the speakers needing to be broken in. I simply didn't know that was a thing in '02, and recently I kind of knew to expect a "break in" period.

In both cases I just noticed that the amp simply started sounding better and better, and it's the only thing I can attribute it to.
Especially with my new amp. I haven't changed a thing.

So, play it alot! Medium volume if you can. Or google "breaking in speakers".

I'm no expert whatsoever, and don't consider myself a freak about tone, but this is my 2 cents for ya.

Remember, you can also shape the tone with the tube choices. I think Rectos are a little harsh, and a Mullard in the PI really improves the awesome factor. Personally for Rectos I use Tung Sol V1, Mesa / JJ in all the middles, Mullard in the PI, Mesas in the power section.

Thanks for the info - will look into changing the V1 and PI tubes. the amp is still under warranty - will using anything other than mesa tubes void it?

Technically, I think yes. I recommend buying tubes from a place that actually burns in & tests them all so they cull the bad ones & offer a warranty. I get mine from Doug's, but there are a few good options out there.

The link in my signature goes to an index on my blog. I spent a couple of years compiling information and then published most of it during 8 months last year. The first two entries on the index are in regards to setting EQ for a 3 Channel Recto. A lot of it will apply to a Rectoverb 25. The power tubes will make a difference on the results, but the overall idea still applies. Check it out if you care to.

Dennyvt said:
typically, I use modern - 25-watts - gain at about 2, bass - 12, mid - 11-1, presence at about 3oclock. Master is at about 8 or 9.

Channel 1 - Clean, gain 11, treble - 1, mid - off or very low, bass 11 to 1 as needed - master 11 (very little head room here)

Light reverb on both channels. Guitars used - PRS McCarty, Gibson 335, Strat.

IMHO for channel 2 I would say by these settings the gain and presence are too high. I usually don't have the gain or presence over 11. Having the mid at 1 would probably make it sound raspy as well. Here is what I use. G-10/11, B-11, M-10, T-12, P-12, Master as needed.

Channel 1 looks close to what I use. Depends where the presence is. I have the head and 1x12 cab so that makes a significant difference. If anything the combo could use darker settings than I use. Some people on here have had similar struggles with the combo. Speaker break in may help as others have mentioned.

On my mini rec, Modern w/ Gain on 2:00, Presence on 3:00... no treble mentioned but if it's up at all that's harsh city!

I saw a similar complaint at TGP a few months ago. Guy was running modern with the gain at 2:00 - 3:00 (holy crap!) and treble at 1:00, presence at 2:00... and complaining that it was too harsh. Without knowing your guitar, pedals, speaker or cabs, I couldn't imagine that NOT being too harsh. Turn the presence down first, then see where you're at. IMHO...

Latest posts

Back