Rectoverb 25 - External Midi Switching Help Needed!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Today I hooked my old Digitech GSP1101 to my Rectoverb 25.
I had it sounding incredible.

I was using my Voodoo Lab Control Switcher (set to Latching) to control channels on the amp.
It was working just fine for about an hour, then it stopped switching the amp.

The amp gets stuck in Lead channel.
I cannot switch it back to Clean channel.
The relay is OFF on the Control Switcher, according to the LED on the front of it.
The amp will switch channels if I unplug the footswitch cable from either the amp or the Control Switcher.

The amp will stay in Clean channel when I plug the footswitch cable back into the amp.

When I switch channels again, it gets stuck in Lead channel again until I unplug the cable.

Does the amp need a tiny bit of loading (an LED) on the cable if I'm using an external switcher?????
Do I have some sort of static build up? Highly unlikely in Hawaii. The humidity is 75% today.

Has anybody used an external midi switcher with their Rectoverb 25?

Hey Monsta!

That's strange indeed. It should just be a simple latch to ground I would think.

I'm guessing you have never experienced this with the Mesa footswitch over the same length of time.

Maybe try a different output from the Control switcher? Could be a bad relay in there i guess....

I would also call Mesa.

Dom

Thanks Dom,
I need to mess with it more today.

I have always used this particular Control Switcher in Momentary mode with an old Rivera amp.
I set it up for Latching, but it just wasn't acting right.

I re-set it for Momentary and tried it with the amp, the same thing happened.
I then re-set it for Latching and it seemed to clear the problem.
I only changed channels a few more times last night, so I'm not sure if that is the end of it yet.

When that has happened to me in the past it's been because I accidentally switched the front-panel channel switch to lead, disabling the footswitch. But you managed to get it working, so I guess that's not it.

I used an Amp Gizmo with my RV25 and never had any problems. It didn't need any loading. I believe that the external switch is in parallel with the internal switch, so you get the exact same loading when using the external switch as the internal.

Given that you managed to reset the witching by messing with the switcher, I'm inclined to believe that the switcher has a fault. Possibly it is choking on the MIDI messages it is receiving.

What are you using as a MIDI controller?

I've been using this particular Control Switcher (I have 2) with an older Digitech GSP1101 and Control 2 footswitch.
So far (about 3 years), it's worked perfectly.

It has only been set to Momentary though, and not Latching.
Yesterday when I started, I made sure that the switch was in the correct position.
I also, first thing, made sure that the Control Switcher was set to Latching and all previous programming was removed.

I think it was stuck in Momentary.
The thing works really well, but is easy to confuse.

I set it to Momentary again, tried the amp, it worked the same way. It would get stuck every few button presses.

I then set it to Latching again and it seemed to work.

We had a very short practice and only concentrated on one song that needed a lot of work. I don't change amp channels in the song, so I don't know if I fixed it just yet.

I have that switcher for my amp. When I got it, I tried to set it up for manual PC changes, but that was a pain the butt. After I did a complete factory reset on it: I programmed it to receive PC, pushed the LED button(s) I needed for each midi preset, and saved them with buttons 1 and 4 while on the correct FX bank. Everything worked great.

The factory default is for the latching relay and for midi channel 1. If all else fails, you could always reset it again. As stated above, activating PC changes is the only change from default that I needed to do.

Back