Rectifier, Uberschall, SLO100, 5150?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMMP

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Has anyone gotten to compare a Recto, Uber, SLO, or 5150 together? I'm currently on the hunt for a new amp, and am in the heavy research phase. I'm trying to determine if a switch in speakers can take me to the tone I'm thinking of, or if a new amp through my Mesa Traditional 412 can do it.

The sound I'm imagining is somewhat brown in nature, but isn't terribly different from my Roadster Ch3 in Vintage mode with the variac power. I kind of think the 5150 would get me there, but that amp was voiced with greenbacks. I wouldn't buy an SLO, but rather an X88 rack preamp, but I figure that and an SLO are close enough for comparison's sake.

Thanks for any thoughts and experiences!

People here are going to be super biased toward Mesa amps so not sure how much you will get from that but Ill give you my 2c. I personally have owned a lot of Mesa amps over the years, mostly rectos. I started with a Tremoverb 100W head, downsized to a Rectoverb 50W combo I played for 15 years and then about 18 months ago I made the switch to the Road King 2 combo. I did get to try the dual rectifier heads and Roadster head and combo and they all have different characteristics and tubes, guitars, style etc are going to factor in tremendously. Of the amps you listed I have only every played the Soldano and it was amazing. Not going to lie there. However to me it was a direct comparison to the 100W dual rectifier head and so you get down to a coke vs pepsi decision and cost. You can get a Mesa much cheaper (and easier) used which is what I usually buy and for a lot less than new. Also I have played Mark V amps and I hate em. Everyone is different.

I have not touched a current 5150 though when Peavey released the original one years back I played it out of curiosity and while it was decent, it wasn't even a fair comparison. Its not in the same quality category nor did it sound remotely as good as a Mesa\Soldano to me. I don't know how the current EVH are or if they are still bound to Peavey (I suspect they are the same) but its also very subjective and you should play one to decide before you buy because to you it may just be the tits. I would also tell you to try an H&K, Bogner and Rivera for comparison if you can since you are shopping in that price point. Might as well be thorough as one there may actually turn out to be your favorite.

Now as to bias, I personally have that for Mesa so I would push you in that direction. I highly recommend a road king because the ability to assign 6l6 vs el34 etc on a per channel basis is simply awesome and its basically 4 amps in one. I have the 2x12 combo and its heavy as hell, so a head could make more sense to you. I also have a 2x12 w v30 if which I find bassy and boomy but blends ok w the C90s. I see a lot of amps out there for sale and I got mine in basically mint condition from Guitar Center Used ($1500) and they shipped from Connecticut to Seattle for free. The plus there is I was able to return the amp if something was amiss. I am super happy with this amp and its flexibility that I would tell you I think its the perfect amp for a variety of reasons but mainly the progressive linkage (tube assigning to channel). I run my stuff primarily at 50w but I could get to 120W if I chose. And each channel is individual so you could do two 50w and the other 100w or whatever. Anyways I have rambled enough. Good luck to you. Buying an amp is like buying a car. Test drive as many as you can because no two amps, even same model, will sound the same. Tubes will come into play but I have lots of NOS tubes and EH after market in addition to my mesa ones. I like to monkey with that to dial in my tones.

BTW you didnt mention what style of music you like and this could factor in. Hope that helps a bit. Peter

I strongly recommend you try an Archon. It's got a midrange bite like a DSL, but not so buzzy, more meaty and sweet at the top. It's kind of like a more polite rectifier.

I don't know from personal experience, but Uberschall is supposed to be good for that as well.

Try a ReVv Generator 100 or 120. Sounds like an Uberschall and a 5150 had a baby!! They're crazy amps!!

http://geargods.net/review/fluff-demos-the-revv-generator-120-with-a-little-help-from-trey/

JMMP said:
Hi guys,

Has anyone gotten to compare a Recto, Uber, SLO, or 5150 together? I'm currently on the hunt for a new amp, and am in the heavy research phase. I'm trying to determine if a switch in speakers can take me to the tone I'm thinking of, or if a new amp through my Mesa Traditional 412 can do it.

The sound I'm imagining is somewhat brown in nature, but isn't terribly different from my Roadster Ch3 in Vintage mode with the variac power. I kind of think the 5150 would get me there, but that amp was voiced with greenbacks. I wouldn't buy an SLO, but rather an X88 rack preamp, but I figure that and an SLO are close enough for comparison's sake.

Thanks for any thoughts and experiences!

Buy a 2 channel dual and do the Revision C mod and I think that is what you are looking for.

Thanks for all of the responses.

That revv generator sounds pretty close to what I'm looking for, but like so many great YouTube guys, Fluff makes everything sound good.
I will also look into the archon, as I think it's in that thicker recto type camp as well. I'm also going to try EL-34s in the roadster again. I feel I didn't give it a long enough time last I tried.
Shouldn't the earlier revision Rectos be pretty similar to a SLO?
I wonder if I could mod one my Roadster's channels to an earlier revision's spec?
I will see if I have any schems on the roadster (don't' think I do) and check if ch3 and ch4 are independent enough (my gut would say no, though).
Thanks again for the responses!

You can do the Rev C mod on Roadster. Jumper the 100 ohm resistors which are in series to cathode bypass caps. Search the board for more info or PM me.

I always ran my Roadster, and now Road King, heads through cabs with Greenbacks and it really helps get that type of tone.

Latest posts

Back