Run a Roadster with only 2 6L6 tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyldh

Reaction score
Hello,

I just have a few questions that I wanted to clear up because I'm getting some conflicting information from a local "Mesa certified repair center" that is telling me my 6L6 tubes can only be replaced in a "quad set."

It's possible to run a Mesa Roadster with only 1 matched pair of 6L6s, yes? I've heard this can be done in a pinch.

Is this bad for the head in any way? Do I need to switch all my channels to 50w or anything like that? Do you run the middle pair, or the outer pair?

From the Roadster manual, it says:
Rectifier Tracking follows your choices in power settings to always mate the proper amount of rectification for the number of tubes in use. For example, if you are using either 2 x 6L6 and you choose Recto Tracking, 1 x 5U4G will be applied. If you use 4 x 6L6, 2 x 5U4G will be used.

Is the "if you are using 2 x 6L6" meaning literally that you only have 1 pair installed, or just that you've switched the channel to 50w? I assume that's referring to switching the channel to 50w.

Thanks in advance. Just making sure I understand my equipment. :D

kyldh said:
Hello,

I just have a few questions that I wanted to clear up because I'm getting some conflicting information from a local "Mesa certified repair center" that is telling me my 6L6 tubes can only be replaced in a "quad set."

It's possible to run a Mesa Roadster with only 1 matched pair of 6L6s, yes? I've heard this can be done in a pinch.

Is this bad for the head in any way? Do I need to switch all my channels to 50w or anything like that? Do you run the middle pair, or the outer pair?

From the Roadster manual, it says:
Rectifier Tracking follows your choices in power settings to always mate the proper amount of rectification for the number of tubes in use. For example, if you are using either 2 x 6L6 and you choose Recto Tracking, 1 x 5U4G will be applied. If you use 4 x 6L6, 2 x 5U4G will be used.

Is the "if you are using 2 x 6L6" meaning literally that you only have 1 pair installed, or just that you've switched the channel to 50w? I assume that's referring to switching the channel to 50w.

Thanks in advance. Just making sure I understand my equipment. :D

The amp needs to have 2 pairs of tubes installed...

Thanks!

kyldh said:
a local "Mesa certified repair center" that is telling me my 6L6 tubes can only be replaced in a "quad set."

Not all 4 tubes need to be matched. You need to have a matched pair in the two inside tubes and a matched pair in the two outside tubes. That being said, you can change out the inner set of tubes without changing the outer set of tubes with no problems and vice-versa. It is helpful to change out all 4 at once just so they wear similarly.

Ok thanks. For some reason I recall hearing these heads could run without some of the tubes if they went bad in the middle of a gig of something. I believe I heard that back when I owned my Triple Rectifier. Oh well, glad I never tried it then I guess!

Back