Roadster Reverb issue...any advice?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southdakota

Reaction score
Hoping this is a common problem and someone will have some advice. My 2010 Roadster head has a reverb problem. When I channel switch from either 2, 3 or 4 to channel 1, I get a really heavy dose of reverb for about 1-3 seconds and then it tapers off to the normal level that I have it set to, which is about 10 oclock. It does not happen when switching from 1 to any of the other channels.

On another note.....regarding the Fx Loop on footswitch. The pedals in my effects loop are staying engaged wether the Fx Loop switch is on or off on the footswitch. It's not a big deal to me as I have one pedal in my effects loop that is an always on pedal and therefore I would have it engaged all the time anyway. Just not sure if this is normal? I do have the effects loop switch in the back of the amp engaged. Thanks for any advice I can get!

Southdakota said:
Hoping this is a common problem and someone will have some advice. My 2010 Roadster head has a reverb problem. When I channel switch from either 2, 3 or 4 to channel 1, I get a really heavy dose of reverb for about 1-3 seconds and then it tapers off to the normal level that I have it set to, which is about 10 oclock. It does not happen when switching from 1 to any of the other channels.

On another note.....regarding the Fx Loop on footswitch. The pedals in my effects loop are staying engaged wether the Fx Loop switch is on or off on the footswitch. It's not a big deal to me as I have one pedal in my effects loop that is an always on pedal and therefore I would have it engaged all the time anyway. Just not sure if this is normal? I do have the effects loop switch in the back of the amp engaged. Thanks for any advice I can get!
How high are your channel masters? The only time I experienced that reverb swell was when I had the ch1 master around 3:00. Lowering to 12:00-1:00 fixed it for me.

I believe the FX Loop status in the channel strips should be set to 'off' for the footswitch FX switch to function properly. The switches (in the on position) in the channel strips override all other switching, and will switch in the loop as soon as the channel is selected.

Dom

So far running below 12 o'clock in the house but have tried quieter and louder and does the same thing.

Thanks for the help, Dom. I just replaced V4 and have the same issue with the reverb.

I switched the effects loop switch the other way and in this position, the effects loop is no longer on at all, even with the footswitch.

Third issue....this is intermittent but happened just now. On clean channel (I use fat and very little gain) I'm getting a static or almost what a blown speaker would sound like. I turned presence all the way down and it nearly goes away completely. Like I said, it's intermittent. I played on other channels for a bit and then went back to clean and it was gone.

This amp was shipped quite a long distance to me. Are all of these issues possibly tube related? I do hear a lot of intermittent tube noise....weezing, the noise you hear as a tube warms up....but these sounds are not coming through the speakers and are only audible standing next to the amp head. I'm loving the tones. It is not overly noisy on high gain settings compared to other tube amps I have owned. So I'm kind of stumped but I'm guessing a tube change wont hurt. I was told they only had 20-30 hours on them.

Southdakota said:
Hoping this is a common problem and someone will have some advice. My 2010 Roadster head has a reverb problem. When I channel switch from either 2, 3 or 4 to channel 1, I get a really heavy dose of reverb for about 1-3 seconds and then it tapers off to the normal level that I have it set to, which is about 10 oclock. It does not happen when switching from 1 to any of the other channels...

My Roadster head makes the same effect when switched from any of dirty channels to Channel 1 clean/fat modes. Maybe it makes the sound when going to Ch2 clean/fat but it's too late an evening to confirm that :)... I've been thinking it's normal behaviour as the dirty channels' (presumably) louder signal is still present in the spring tank when the channel is changed to clean and the reverb return gain level is also boosted while the signal is still echoing in the tank... This is all hypothetical as I don't have any means to confirm this from schematics and could be completely off-track :)

Just got a message returned from Mesa tech support. The reverb issue may be a problem with the "muting circuit" and requires a tech to fix. He thinks the Fx loop may be a faulty pin in the cord to the foot controller but I can live with that. Like I said, my effects loop is always on anyway. I am nowhere near a tech so I guess I will just not use the reverb, which is ok for now. Playing live, I can have some added at the board.

Back