Rectoverb 25 combo owners. Transformer getting hot ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredm

Reaction score
I just picked up a used Rectoverb 25 Combo today. It's just 6 months old. After about an hour of playing time I decided to have a look at the rear of the amp, just being curious really. Everything looks ok except I noticed the mains transformer was quite hot to touch. You can hold the steel core for about 30 seconds and then it becomes rather uncomfortable to continue. It's like holding a cup of freshly made coffee, that kind of hot.

Can any owner of a Rectoverb 25 combo tell me if this is normal. I tried calling Mesa and then realised that they are 8 hours behind U.K. time. :oops:

I'll give them a call in a couple of hours anyway, as I believe Easter Monday is not a public holiday in the U.S.

Any reassurance would be gratefully accepted.

Everything in tube amps gets hot. Sometimes REALLY REALLY hot. I wouldn't worry about it. You have quite a bit of power dissipation in the transformer. If it sounds fine, it's fine. If it sounds AMAZING, it will blow up shortly :shock:

Thanks for the advice. Actually I have a Laney LC15R which I now realise gets just as hot after it's been switched on for an hour, so I guess this is all normal.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back