New DR - hum

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miro9486

Reaction score
Hello,
I've recently bought new 3-ch, multi-watt DR. It's my second tube amp (I have owned Peavey XXX for abou 10-11 yrs now). But there are few things concerning me:
1. I've notice that when I turn on the amp there is some humming from power transformer (I guess - right from the tubes). It's louder in bold mode and more quiet in spongy. Louder than in XXX. Is it normal?
2. I bought it new, from local distribution - but as it turns out it's late 2014 production - should I even bother with the fact? Did anyone from you also get new, old, unused amp? :D were there any additional changes to multi-watts in last couple years?
3. It has got some minor scratches on the front diamond plate panel - does it happen in the new ones?

Other than that it's a beast :)

Miro9486 said:
Hello,1. I've notice that when I turn on the amp there is some humming from power transformer (I guess - right from the tubes). It's louder in bold mode and more quiet in spongy. Louder than in XXX. Is it normal?
That's totally normal. It's magnetic coupling between the power and output transformer. It varies from amp to amp depending on the transformer placement and alignment. It shouldn't be noticeable when you turn the volume up a bit. Spongy mode is more quiet as it reduces the voltages in the power transformer.

Miro9486 said:
Hello,
I've recently bought new 3-ch, multi-watt DR. It's my second tube amp (I have owned Peavey XXX for abou 10-11 yrs now). But there are few things concerning me:
1. I've notice that when I turn on the amp there is some humming from power transformer (I guess - right from the tubes). It's louder in bold mode and more quiet in spongy. Louder than in XXX. Is it normal?
2. I bought it new, from local distribution - but as it turns out it's late 2014 production - should I even bother with the fact? Did anyone from you also get new, old, unused amp? :D were there any additional changes to multi-watts in last couple years?
3. It has got some minor scratches on the front diamond plate panel - does it happen in the new ones?

Other than that it's a beast :)

2 and 3) It could be a floor model. Was it packaged when you bought it? Mesa covers it with plastic and packs their boxes pretty well. Any scratches would likely be after unpacking it.

My '07 Dual Rec had that same kind of xformer hum but I put some rubber washers between chassis and power xformer. No more hum!

If huming is alright then it's all fine :) It really ain't that loud. Just lounder than in Peavey. Thanks for claryfing

Ad. 2) and 3) I'm pretty sure it wasn't foolr unit. It might just have been unpacked at distribution. Also some "diamonds" (1-2) are a bit flattened, like not fullu pushed out (not like hit and dented). So it's seems like it is something not post-production-related.

Maybe some of you could share some close-ups of diamnd plate fronts in those "uglier" places (scratches, deformed diamonds;) ) that weren't damaged by the user? When I find out how to add pick I'll post "the things" bothering me on mine:)

Back