Comparison Single/Dual/Trem-O-Verb/Rect-O-Verb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blah

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have one question. I'm now in searching of my sound. I have PRS Ce24 96' and it is tuned to drop C# (c# g# c# f# a# d#) for alternative rock/metal... Currently I have at home Dual Rectifier 100W, I think it is first version (see the amp on picture below). I just found that this is too loud for Slovenian stages and for practice with band. And now I'm wondering if between Dual and Single is any big difference in sound? And which channel of Dual Rectifier is on 2nd channel of Single Rectifier (I hope that you understand what I'm trying to say :mrgreen: ). And what you will say about Tremoverb VS Rectoverb VS Single Rectifier, is also a big difference in sound and character? I'm asking you that, beacuse it is difficult to find this amps in Slovenia and test them.

Thank you very much for your answer in advance and I hope that you will understand me.

And this is picture of yesterday's testing :mrgreen:
rszimg2093.jpg

blah.

Even at 50W, the Single isn't a quiet amp. If you like the Dual, post your front and back panel settings and maybe we can make suggestions for adjustments and help you use what you already have.

BTW, Single Recto and old Rectoverb are 2 channels and nearly identical. They're a little bit deeper in sound. They have only the silicon rectifiers, so that extra bottom stays pretty tight.

I'm kind of ill so I have to stop, but others might finish the comparison.

The single has a but more bright and tight voice than the dual. There are online comparisons on YouTube, and I think that come across.

If you are looking to play classic rock, the single tone is great. For more heavy stuff, the big bloom of the dual's lows are awesome. Though the single's tightness may be good for downtuned guitar as well. You could also put an EQ in the loop of the single to bring up the lows a little. It has 6L6, so it should be capable of big lows.

Yes I assumed, that between 50W and 100W isn't a lot difference. But you find sweet spot earlier on 50W than 100W from my experience.

I play drop c# tuning (c# g# c# f# a# d#) and I'm more in alternative rock/metal music. Dual Recto is for my taste way to angry, so I want to try Single... Thank you both.

blah said:
Yes I assumed, that between 50W and 100W isn't a lot difference. But you find sweet spot earlier on 50W than 100W from my experience.

I play drop c# tuning (c# g# c# f# a# d#) and I'm more in alternative rock/metal music. Dual Recto is for my taste way to angry, so I want to try Single... Thank you both.

Dual Recto is too angry so you want a Single Recto? Even the Mini Recto is angry in my experience!

If you want something more polite try an Electra Dyne ;)

[edit] but still loud.
Mini Recto for stage volume issues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7f92E70M48 (Dual vs Single)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXY53F03-lk (Dual vs Mini)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLpk6H5YX3A (Electra Dyne Demo)

I just wanted to test Single if there is really difference like on this video. Must say, that Single on video is waay more cool for me.

Yes I have. But yesterday I test DR again and than I switch on the back from tube rectifier to solid state rectifier and than I get really good sound on channel 2 and modern preamp. I was really satisfied. But in Slovenia is one Rectoverb for sale for 800€ and I'm really interested for it. But first I must sell my Marshall TSL...

In my experience, isolated guitars is a terrible way to compare two different amplifiers. A ton of nuance that is readily apparent and jarring as you A/B the amps in isolation becomes lost in the mix with a band, or stands out in a completely unexpected way, particularly with another guitarist.

The increased high end of the single sounds great in isolation, but I'm concerned about how it would sound in the mix. One of the first times I tried playing at volume with my band, all that could really be heard when everyone else was playing was the high end sizzle from my amp.

What worked best for me, after trying a ton of different rectos, was sticking with one and dialing it in in a way that sat well with the other guitarist and our band. I'm pretty indifferent to which recto I used now (Tremoverb, Dual, or Road King) EXCEPT to say that the Dual is a head and is easier to cart around then the others, which are 2x12 combos.

Also, the nuance we're discussing amongst ourselves is going to mean precisely jack squat to the audience you are playing for.

I recently realized that I needed to stop chasing tone and work with whatever gear I was using, and I got a lot better in very short order. Still working on it but the change in focus has had a big impact on my playing and happiness.

dlpasco said:
In my experience, isolated guitars is a terrible way to compare two different amplifiers. A ton of nuance that is readily apparent and jarring as you A/B the amps in isolation becomes lost in the mix with a band, or stands out in a completely unexpected way, particularly with another guitarist.

The increased high end of the single sounds great in isolation, but I'm concerned about how it would sound in the mix. One of the first times I tried playing at volume with my band, all that could really be heard when everyone else was playing was the high end sizzle from my amp.

What worked best for me, after trying a ton of different rectos, was sticking with one and dialing it in in a way that sat well with the other guitarist and our band. I'm pretty indifferent to which recto I used now (Tremoverb, Dual, or Road King) EXCEPT to say that the Dual is a head and is easier to cart around then the others, which are 2x12 combos.

Also, the nuance we're discussing amongst ourselves is going to mean precisely jack squat to the audience you are playing for.

I recently realized that I needed to stop chasing tone and work with whatever gear I was using, and I got a lot better in very short order. Still working on it but the change in focus has had a big impact on my playing and happiness.

I totally agree with this. Navelgazing is pretty futile when it comes to tone. Recorded tone is one thing and it is quite magnified, but with recorded tones it's like cooking. Using various amps, microphones, and EQ settings 'cooks' the recorded tone you want.

For live, dime the mids, roll back the bass, and set the gain to where you want for a tight, clear, and open sound. No unessential frequencies.

Maybe check your tubes.
I was getting mad at my Recto and then I swapped my v1 and all of the sudden it sounded much better. I fought with my recto for years but I think my kids proved useful. I plugged in the amp, and started playing with my OD pedal. I hadn't gotten the result I wanted from it and I was frustrated. But, somehow the volume and drive were at noon and the tone was about 8o'clock or so. I think the kids moved the knobs. And BAM!!!
I discovered that for soloing live, I like a lot of compression. My approach and technique for solos tends to lend itself to this!

Yeah, at the end of the day, your amp is just a tool that helps you make your music. It is not so much what your amp does, what matters is what you do with the amp.

Some tools help you achieve the desired results more easily than others. And what works for someone might not work for someone else - one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I have a handful of Mesa amps, all great in their own right, and all sound and feel different from each other. Every one of them has at least one significant upside advantage that has won the amp a place in my arsenal. But I don't play favorites. For band playing, I regularly rotate the amps I take with me - to keep my mind fresh and alert and to make me experiment and discover new musical possibilities, even new aspects and dimensions in old songs we've been doing for years. After all, the amp is not the thing, it is just a tool.

None of us can really say which Rec is ideal for the OP. There is no substitute for firsthand experience and testing. But what I can tell is that all Mesa Rectos, including the Single (while not exactly my cup of tea), are quality amps and if you like the general kind of sound they make, you can't really go far wrong with any of them. Yes, there are differences - but they are still basically just different flavors of the same core sound. It is all in your hands to make them sing.

LesPaul70 said:
Lots o' good stuff
YellowJacket said:
Lots o' good stuff
dlpasco said:
Lots o' good stuff

I think he was trying to figure out whether volume is much different and how different the sound really is, but all three of you raise incredibly good points about the core sound staying the same and different flavors of pure awesomeness.

Why don't you just re-label your volume and gain knobs to loud and angry...Then adjust to taste! These amps are more versatile than many believe!

I'm using a Single 50 for some Open C tuned metal (think all things HevyDevy) and can say that it will suit your needs just fine:

17eJy85.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/blockroom-recordings/sinking-ship

Latest posts

Back