Chicken Head Knobs on Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotts

Reaction score
After years of not being able to see my knobs, and through a little inspiration from Blaklynx, I decided that I needed chicken head knobs. I searched and found mini chicken head knobs which fit my roadster perfectly. They are not the quality of the stock knobs. They are plastic, but they work and I can see them which is far more important than anything else. It took me about an hour from start to finish. Hope you like it.

I made the solo knob red so that I can easily differentiate it from the output. I originally bought black knobs with cream for the volume, but the cream stood out so much better that I ordered more of them. If anyone wants the black knobs, I'll be happy to send some to you if you donate to the site. I'll pay the postage to you via USPS as my contribution.

Hi Knotts,

That looks really good. They certainly stand out and are really easy to see. The cream knobs look really good and they almost match the colour of the print on the face plate.

I was thinking of cream knobs for a while, as I explained to you via PM...... looking at yours, I may have to buy some!

The red knob doesn't look out of place, either. It's far removed from the cluster of other knobs so it looks OK to me. Maybe the other knob can be red (I'm trying to imagine it) and it'll still look OK.

Thanks for the plug..... appreciate it. I've inspired at least one person..... :lol:

Enjoy the new look.

-B

I really like this.

Blaklynx, will your black knobs fit on my Tremoverb?

Can you post a link?

Thanks

I did this to my Marshall as the standard knobs are just as useless for visibility especially on stage. Thinking about the same for the Recto, yours look great (and Blaklynx's black ones). Going to try a blob of paint in each of the indentations first.

TremoJem said:
I really like this.

Can you post a link?

Thanks

Hi TremoJem,

I bought these knobs from a local electronics store. I wanted to see them in person because some of the ones I saw on ebay looked cheap with poor surface finish such as sink marks, flow lines and gate positions not trimmed properly (google these words and add the words 'in plastic' as well, ie. sink marks in plastic)

You have a combo, right? I'm not sure if they will fit.

I googled the Tremoveb amp and for the combo, my concern would be the piping underneath the bottom rows of knobs and also the small distance between the top knobs and the shelf of the cab

For the knobs I used, I had to trim the tips a little to fit. I also had to trim the tails on 3 (I think it was 3) knobs to avoid hitting the diamond shape on the diamond plate. See my post here for all the work done: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=69901

I just measured the knobs I have and the measurements are:
a. Overall Length: 31.5mm (approx.) before I trimmed the tips.
b. Centre of knob to tail: 15mm(approx.) Say 15.5mm (I couldn't measure this accurately because the knobs are installed on amp)
c. Diameter of body: 9.2mm

On your amp, get a rule and measure two distances:
1. On one bottom row knob: from the centre of knob to the piping
2. On one top row knob: from the centre of the knob to the shelf of the cab

If any of the dimensions you measure are smaller than the dimension I showed at b. then this poses a fitment problem because the tail will be far more difficult to trim than the tip of the knob (unless you want to shorten the tail and square it off a little). Trimming the tips won't be a problem.

Hope this helps.

-B

TremoJem said:
I really like this.

Can you post a link?

Thanks
TremoJem, I have 20 black ones if you want em.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/P-K900

The quality is good. I'm not going to say they are "great" quality, but they very good for the price. I didn't notice any surface flaws.

massless said:
I did this to my Marshall as the standard knobs are just as useless for visibility especially on stage. Thinking about the same for the Recto, yours look great (and Blaklynx's black ones). Going to try a blob of paint in each of the indentations first.

I've already tried that. I painted with a metallic red nail polish. It's OK up close but at a reasonable distance and especially in dim light, it's still not good enough. You can see the painted knobs (before I replaced them) on my amp if you go to the link that's in my previous post before yours.

I'm thinking of taking the original knobs to a machine shop and splicing in a tip, about 1.0~1.20mm thick and 5mm wide and having the tip protrude past the diameter of the knob approx. 2.0mm. I'll design the 'tip' and have it machined out of aluminium and have them press fit it in. Could be interesting but I have reservations of 'wrecking' original equipment. I'll see.

Alternatively, I might design a few knobs and have one of the designs custom made. I know a guitar builder at work who has knobs made for his guitars, so I could use his contact to have them made. It'll be a fun project, I think.

-B

Blaklynx said:
massless said:

I've already tried that. I painted with a metallic red nail polish. It's OK up close but at a reasonable distance and especially in dim light, it's still not good enough. You can see the painted knobs (before I replaced them) on my amp if you go to the link that's in my previous post before yours.

I'm thinking of taking the original knobs to a machine shop and splicing in a tip, about 1.0~1.20mm thick and 5mm wide and having the tip protrude past the diameter of the knob approx. 2.0mm. I'll design the 'tip' and have it machined out of aluminium and have them press fit it in. Could be interesting but I have reservations of 'wrecking' original equipment. I'll see.

Alternatively, I might design a few knobs and have one of the designs custom made. I know a guitar builder at work who has knobs made for his guitars, so I could use his contact to have them made. It'll be a fun project, I think.

-B

Nice idea. I'm sure I've seen pics of a recto with 'peaked' chrome knobs somewhere. The black chicken heads look great to me, especially with the black face plate you have. And perfectly practical.

Wondering if glow in the dark paint would work for the knobs.

massless said:
Nice idea. I'm sure I've seen pics of a recto with 'peaked' chrome knobs somewhere. The black chicken heads look great to me, especially with the black face plate you have. And perfectly practical.

Wondering if glow in the dark paint would work for the knobs.

Thanks for that.

The knobs you're talking about are found on v2 of the V-Twin pedal. Not sure if they were used anywhere else. I have this pedal.

Here's a pic on someone's account:
http://s196.photobucket.com/user/wahwahwells/media/IMG_1321.jpg.html

Latest posts

Back