Tremoverb for Metal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agus

Reaction score
This is my first post so sorry for the dumb questions but I have to ask (I hope I can make sense). I purchase a Tremoverb Combo, I got a good deal so I couldn't pass it up (bought it on line so I won't get it for a week or so). I hear that the Tremoverb is mostly use for blues but if I'm not mistaken isn't the Tremoverb a clone of a Dual Rectifier? I been told that if I want to get the kind of heavy sound that I'm looking for I should gone with a Mark V, Road King but they are pretty much out of my price range right now. I'm pretty much into Slayer, Metallica, Lamb of God style of music. Will I get that kind of sound riff's out of my Tremoverb without the use of pedals? If any one owns a Tremoverb I would like your input please.

Kim Thayil (Soundgarden), James Hetfield (Metallica) and the dude from Incubus all use or have used Tremoverbs.

I know two of those dudes aren't metal... more trying to point out they're not blues amps.

Actives and/or boost and it's a metal monster. Check to see what tubes are in it because that of course can influence the tone and feel.
Also, for the same reason, look to see if the speakers are stock or have been changed.
Running it along with a v30 212 recto cab would sound glorious.

Did the tremo-combos all come with the c90 black-shadows? (anyone?) The one's I've seen had them IIRC.

If I'm not mistaken they are the original speakers, I'm not sure about the Tubes since I haven't received the Tremoverb yet. What about spongy/Bold? I think if I change it to bold it would be a heavier sound. Am I correct or wrong?

Tremoverb can get very heavy, but it's gain structure is a little loose since it's a Rectifier. The Mark series will 100% nail the tight rhythms you're after, particularly a Mark 3, 4, or 5. The tremoverb can approximate that with a pedal tightening up the front end as mentioned.

Is the Roadking or Roadster close to the Tremoverb? or is the Tremoverb in its own league? Thought I ask. Thank you all for your answers!

Also is there like a preference on tubes for the Tremoverb? Or should I just stick to the original tubes?

I own both Road King II and Tremoverb combos, and honestly, the Tremoverb has something about it that's just meaner. My rig is inspired by Mike from Incubus (aforementioned) and the Tremoverb nails the SCIENCE, Make Yourself, and Morning View tones with a PRS. Those all involve extreme heavy tones as well as clean tones. When I use my Les Paul or Chapman ML-1 I can get some pretty nice singing leads (even for a Recto) through it on the orange channel set on the vintage high gain using channel cloning.

My point is, I think you may really enjoy the Tremoverb. I love both my Tremoverb and Road King and I'll never get rid of either.

Agus said:
Also is there like a preference on tubes for the Tremoverb? Or should I just stick to the original tubes?

I would switch the tubes just for reliability reasons, I'd even inspect it just to get an all clear, as I've had an issue with mine since I've gotten it that requires me to send it to Petaluma.

Thanks MarkIII for the advice, I will stick with the tremoverb and just save my $ and maybe get a Roadking or Mark V in the future. What tubes would you recommend? I haven't received the amp yet I know is going to be here by the end of this month or so but any suggestions on the tubes? I want that heavy sound.

Play the amp first with the tubes it's got and maybe you'll like them. For me though, I really enjoy the 6l6 420's, which were the original tubes that came with rectifiers in the 90's. They have a very "sweet" sounding midrange and top end that just fits the Mesa voicing perfectly. The 440's that come in Mesa's these days are a bit more sterile sounding to my ears. You can find 420's used on eBay
'

When you do get your TremoVerb make another post asking TremoVerb owners' what are their settings to get a metal sound!

Its a versatile amp (as well as your Roadster and Road King) you have to asks ToV owners' "Which channel [red]" "Which mode [modern]" which rectifier [silicon]. which setting "spongey / bold" I say "bold".

Then when it comes to the tone control, that's a whole setting of its own. you don't set it right, you are not going to get what you want out of it.

Off hand, I soup out the mids (7 o'clock), treble about 11 o'clock, bass almost full [5 o'clocl]
Then set the preamp gain almost full or to your liking.

Hopefully other Tremoverb owners will post their suggestion settings. :wink:

My first post!

I recently scored a tremoverb as well. So far I am completely blown away at the range of tones. Yes, this amp can do metal no problem, 70's 80's 90's and beyond without any pedals. Of course this is only my opinion and we all now about opinions! LOL

I am probably the worst mongrel/mutt of styles per se' there is; and I believe this is a very diverse amp.

I actually use my tremoverb primarily on the blues channel with the gain about 9-10 o' clock and tone settings to taste - mine currently being primarily funk, a bit of R & B and a little reggae. I have an old super strat Yamaha with a bareknuckle piledriver tele pickup loaded in the neck position to accommodate. Between the right pick attack and rhythm, instant gratification can be had if your into that stuff.

Congratulations! The tremoverb is a mighty beast!

menace329 said:
I recently scored a tremoverb as well. So far I am completely blown away at the range of tones. Yes, this amp can do metal no problem, 70's 80's 90's and beyond without any pedals. Of course this is only my opinion and we all now about opinions! LOL ...
:lol: I'm in somewhat in the same boat. I got mine because me and my buddy were supposedly going to form a metal-like band so I needed that heavy gain mod-Marshall / Dual Rectifier tone. That idea was short lived. :twisted:

So I'm stuck with a supposedly a "metal amp"[?] but I find outside the Red Channel / Modern mode, its fairly a low to moderate gain amp too. And with the tremolo I could do some of my Creedence Clearwater Revivial covers.

But at a gig doing covers and if there's a guitarist(s) among the audience note the TremoVerb which looks more Dual Rectifier, he thinks you're going to play some metal tunes - lol

Everyone that has heard the extreme range of styles that I can pull out of that amp is just amazed. (not because of my playing lol)

I agree the fun part is watching fellow guitar players expressions when they see its a mesa boogie, and it says DUAL RECTIFIER...... heh heh....

and then I tell them it is not modded.... lol

Back