New Single Rectoverb owner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoelH

Reaction score
Hey, a newbie here. Just got a Single Rectoverb 50 head for a pretty killer price. I have been a Marshall-style amp guy most of my life. I bought this as a backup, but thinking I may use it a LOT more than I anticipated. I'm pretty impressed thus far.
So being more of a Marshall guy, I'm thinking I will run El34s in her to somewhat tame the lower-mids/bass that the Recto series have an abundance of.
I have an old set of EI Big Bottle 6CA7s in there now. But after a half hour or so, they're starting to hiss. Likely a sign they're failing.
I've read that because they are fixed bias, you have to use EL34's that are within "Boogie Spec".
Problem: Where is that Spec published? Or is it? I can understand Smith wanting the revenue stream. I get it; good business. But I have absolutely NO interest in paying the inflated prices on their WEBsite.
Anyone have a clue? High transconductance numbers, maybe? If anyone knows, I'd love have that info.

And yeah, I know, there's a bias mod out there. Suppose I could go that route. Wouldn't mind avoiding that if possible.

THANKS for any help! Noel

I emailed Doug at dougstubes.com and worked with him when I retubed my roadster, highly recommended!

Most of the tube vendors out there will know what range is OK for your amp. I like Tube Depot, but there are many others (like Doug's, mentioned earlier) that can set you up right.
As a reference, Groove Tubes rating #5 is right on the mark, and the folks at Mesa have told me that #4, 5 or 6 are acceptable.
I do recommend buying the burn-in option (already done by Mesa and Groove Tubes), if offered, as it helps ensure the tubes won't drift as much over time. :wink:

Why not just get the mesa tubes?, unless you've become accustomed to another particular brand/model or something. I mean it's just a single pair of power tubes on that amp.
It probably still has the stock preamp tubes and IMO it wouldn't be worth changing them if they still are working. (actually it's a quick/easy thing to try a few different pre in the V1 slot, like the tung-solRI it's just so easy to get to on the single-rectos anyway).

The singles really aren't as boomy in the lows anyway, and those str440 tubes really have an awesome depth and crisp defined highs.
Mesa'a 447 EL34s have great barking mids if that's more what you're after.

Hey thanks guys! been thinking about JJ Kt77s.

I've purchased from Doug before. Seems like a good guy.

Been thinking more about a Bias pot. Eh, I'll see how things go.

Welcome NoelH.
I get my tubes from Mesa, because I trust them, they're competitively priced, and I really love that "burn in and hammer" thing that they do.
I buy from them with complete confidence, since I believe they have the best qualified tubes for my/their amp.
To me, that confidence is worth more than a few bucks :)

I also have a Series 2 Rectoverb head.

Don't mess with an already great amp. No need for any bias mod.

Run Mesa tubes like others have recommended or buy from a vendor that can supply the correct tubes.

So if I understand Mesa tubes: The STR-447 is an E-H EL34, correct?

Haven't used E-H Tubes. Was considering JJ KT-77s or Tung Sol EL34-B.

Sounds like if Groove Tubes rating between 4-6 work, then having something in the middle of test range will work. I had Tung Sol EL34-Bs in a DSL 100 a few years back. Lots of top end, and the bottom was really tight. Seems like that would be a good recipe for a Recto. I know; different amp. But seems logical.

Oh, one last thing: As many around the WEB have pointed out, the Effects Loop really is an Achille's Heal on these amps. And yup, having trouble with my G-Major in the loop. Gets overloaded. So, I am thinking of having the Loop changed to a Series Loop.

Anyone done that on a Single Recto?

Again appreciate you guys' opinions!

I'm going to try to be diplomatic here....

Why do so many folks buy their first Mesa, come to this site and ask for advise while pointing out all the perceived weaknesses of the amp they just bought?

Maybe this amp isn't for you?

The bias mod is not needed.

The effects loop is perfectly fine - I've been using mine for years with no troubles. In fact, the loop on my Dual Rec is fine too. There is no Achilles heel here.

You seem to want a Marshall type tone so buy some Mesa EL34's and call it a day - but it's never gonna sound like a Marshall.

It's a great amp - period - you just need to decide if it's the amp you want.

Really not trying to offend you - but I haven't really heard you say very many positives to this point.

NoelH said:
Oh, one last thing: As many around the WEB have pointed out, the Effects Loop really is an Achille's Heal on these amps. And yup, having trouble with my G-Major in the loop. Gets overloaded. So, I am thinking of having the Loop changed to a Series Loop.

Um, I don't think a serial loop will help with your effects unit overloading. You need to adjust the send level or channel master volume (or the Fx unit input level) to fix that.

Also, while I personally do prefer serial loops and will probably mod the only parallel loop amp I currently have into a serial one at some stage, I think that the shortcomings of Mesa parallel loops get blown out of proportion sometimes on the net. They really aren't that bad. Set the mix to 100% and you will not hear a difference to a serial loop in a band mix.

I wonder how these people who slag Mesa parallel loops on the net are using them? Home alone at whisper volume? Newsflash, a serial loop may not sound significantly better or different at that volume - because of signal bleed. My Mark V has a serial loop, but at bedroom volumes it gives me that out-of-phase chorus quack people normally associate with parallel loops. Crank the amp and the problem goes away. Enough volume and a band setting fixes most perceived Mesa sound problems.

But that's the nature of Internet myths and legends, someone detects what he perceives to be a problem with a product (while maybe using it in a very limited and specific way that the product was never intended for), then he posts a long and exaggerated rant, new users read that first and let it guide their perceptions of the product, and sooner than you know there's a consensus on the net that the product sucks in some critical aspect.

Here is something that may help........

There is a pedal made by Loopmaster - here's the link:
http://www.loop-master.com/cleandirtychannel-switcher-wtuner-p-84.html

I use this pedal instead of the Mesa pedal that came with the amp.

It enables me to run whatever effects I want in front of the amp - by channel

For example - on my clean channel I run an OD pedal in the pedal loop1. This effectively gives me 3 channels - Clean - OD - and Modern on Channel 2.

Again - there is nothing wrong with the Mesa loop - but if you want to run effects "out front" this is an excellent option as it provides 2 independent loops and switching thru the external switching jack.

Actually, I was playing at a band rehearsal and had my G Major in the loop at pretty high volume and the Loop most of the way up. The problem was, when I turned the G Major up to loud enough volume, it distorted. I use the G Major in the Series Loop of my other amp (a boutique hot rodded Marshall circuit) and no such issues.

It definitely wasn't just perception, the G Major was lighting up the overload indicator, and sounded distorted. When I lowered either the Loop, or the G Major in or output, it was too low to get over the drummer. So I'm definitely having issues with the Loop.

So far that's my only gripe. Loving the tone and so are my band mates.

Here is something that may help........

There is a pedal made by Loopmaster - here's the link:
http://www.loop-master.com/cleandirtych ... -p-84.html

I use this pedal instead of the Mesa pedal that came with the amp.

Hey, I appreciate the idea. But I only use 3 pedals in front: A Keeley-modded Tube Screamer, Buddah Bud-Wah, and a Visual Sound H2O. Then I would like to have the G Major in the Loop. So, don't think I need the Loop-Master.

NoelH said:
Actually, I was playing at a band rehearsal and had my G Major in the loop at pretty high volume and the Loop most of the way up. The problem was, when I turned the G Major up to loud enough volume, it distorted. I use the G Major in the Series Loop of my other amp (a boutique hot rodded Marshall circuit) and no such issues.

It definitely wasn't just perception, the G Major was lighting up the overload indicator, and sounded distorted. When I lowered either the Loop, or the G Major in or output, it was too low to get over the drummer. So I'm definitely having issues with the Loop.

I don't doubt that but don't blame the Mesa loop for it. The fact that it is a parallel loop and not a serial one had nothing to do with your problem - if you ovedrive it when it is parallel, you will also overdrive it even if you converted into a serial one.

What causes the loop distortion/overdrive on your Mesa is the total input volume. It is mainly the sum of two controls: the loop send level (back panel on most Rectifiers) and the channel master volume knob. My guess is that your channel master volume is turned pretty high up - and your loop send pot is midway up or higher as well. You need to turn both down until you get no distortion, and this is where the indicator on your effects unit is useful. A hint, don't turn just one knob down and leave the other untouched - try different combinations of both. They interact with each other, and different combinations also sound different. If you turn one of them very low, your sound quality will probably suffer, in one way or another.

Many modern effects units also offer method of calibrating the input volume. If yours has can do that, it would probably be the best solution - you wouldn't have to change your amp sound at all.

I actually really like what I'm hearing in the amp. I'll just get a good set EL34 and I'm good. I love the tone and gain structure. I just keep the bass control low on the lead channel and it sounds awesome. I actually like it more than the JCM2000 I had.

Sorry to sound argumentative, but I am still having issues with the loop. I kept the channel master low, and tried to manage it that way, but it's still overloading. I used it today with a Visual Sound H2O and a Keeley-modded Tube Screamer. The tone was killer. Very happy with the amp.

i had problems with the g-major in the loop of my 5150 combo. This post i found solved the problems. Will they help you, im not sure, but its one more place to look.

Question
Can I connect a G-Major in a Peavey 5150 effect loop ?

Answer
The Peavey 5150 or 5150mkII heads have hi-z effect loop (instrument level).

The G-Major inputs (low impedance) require line level signal. The impedance mismatch results in an insufficient level of signal in the G-Major input generating a high floor noise, and/or a too high level in the return of the 5150 which could cause some distortion.

You will at least have to set the Input Range of the G-Major to Consumer and set the OutRange to i.e. 2dBu or 8dBu in order to get a satisfying result. You should perhaps try to insert another (hi-z input) unit in front of the G-Major as a "buffer".

pfeddema said:
You will at least have to set the Input Range of the G-Major to Consumer and set the OutRange to i.e. 2dBu or 8dBu in order to get a satisfying result. You should perhaps try to insert another (hi-z input) unit in front of the G-Major as a

...talk about a cliffhanger ending. :lol:

Back