Mini Rec + Five band EQ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamtheaterrules

Reaction score
Any of you using the 5 band Mesa EQ pedal with your Mini Rec? If so, how are you liking it?

Basically, I really like my Mini Rec, but after getting the V25 I just don't know how much I'll use it. I like the cleans and crunch much better on the V25 and I like the gain stuff better as well. After trying both, I have confirmed that the "Mark" tones are the ones I've always wanted But.... the recto is very different but very cool. Then I think, "but to be fair, the EQ in the V25 takes it to another level over what it is with the EQ off." So I wonder if maybe the recto with the Mesa EQ pedal in the loop would take it to the next level as well.

I am actually considering selling the Mini. As much as I love it, I only turn it on every 10 days or so, just because it's there, since getting the V25. (In fairness, the V25 is still pretty new to me and I'm still exploring it, so I play it every day). I figured if the Mini Rec really goes to another level with the EQ I would keep it, and if not, I might try something else since I have my Boogie well covered with the V25.

Just wondering who has tried the EQ with the Mini, and what you thought of the results.

I have tried it and it works well, but the effect is not as dramatic as I hoped. To be fair, I was hoping to get the mini rec closer to mark tones with it, and while it did a great job fine tuning the "tone", it of course did not change the gain structure which is at the core of the Mark sound. Now of course I have the V25 so I'm as happy as a pig in @$#%. :mrgreen:

Heck, I'll send you my EQ so you can try it out for yourself :)

Honestly I think an OD in front for the Recto does more for the tone than an EQ. Obviously you can be pretty drastic with an EQ in the loop but to me at a certain point you're trying to fight the amps natural tone.

I've been playing my Mini Mark a lot more too but I'm still going to keep the the Rec around because it does have a unique voice of it's own.

I didn't touch my Mini Rec for months after buying the V:25, but I am moving back to it now and really like it for the ways it is different from the V. In particular I like its characteristic recto grind. I don't think these amps cross-over at all, so one could never replace the other for me.

Also, the MR makes a great backup amp. Never gig tubes without a backup!

Found this thread and thought I would add to the party. I would like to try the GEQ pedal. I recently got the Mini Rectifier and had a time getting the Red channel tweaked to get it match the warm thickness the Green channel has but more gain for solos. The Red channel has waaaayyy more gain than I need. I finally got it part of the secret is set the switch to Vintage, gain to 1:00, treble to 8:00, mid 11:00, bass 2:00, presence 8:00, and master no more than around 2:00.

Also for even more warm and gooey overdrive tones stick a Version 3 OCD in front of the Green channel. Oh my that sounds good.

As mentioned, I think you should try a good OD pedal in front of the Mini Recto. I found after countless tries with many different EQ's (including the Mesa) they really "fogs" up the natural character of the amp.

But, only you will know if it works for you, and you should try it for yourself if you can get the chance.

Dom

domct203 said:
As mentioned, I think you should try a good OD pedal in front of the Mini Recto. I found after countless tries with many different EQ's (including the Mesa) they really "fogs" up the natural character of the amp.

But, only you will know if it works for you, and you should try it for yourself if you can get the chance.

Dom

I agree with everything said here; I've played both extensively, and they're really different flavors. But Dom hits the nail on the head here. Try it with a good OD, and it breathes new life into it. I'm running an MXR Custom Badass OD into it, and that set at 9am gain, noon level, and Vintage gain on the MR results in a, well, bad *** tone!

Back