Roadster Brit Love

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotts

Reaction score
I've come across a lot of feedback regarding brit mode on channel 2 of their roadster. I've been finding myself playing it more and more, and preferring a lot of the tones over some of the other channels. I'm playing a lot of classic rock and I'm finding that the lower gain output from channel 2 set to brit very good at cutting through the mix and being articulate. I think my last gig was playing 75% in CH2. Curious if there are others lurking out there that are also enjoying it. I'm thinking that most of the guys that don't care for it are playing different types of music.

knotts said:
I've come across a lot of feedback regarding brit mode on channel 2 of their roadster. I've been finding myself playing it more and more, and preferring a lot of the tones over some of the other channels. I'm playing a lot of classic rock and I'm finding that the lower gain output from channel 2 set to brit very good at cutting through the mix and being articulate. I think my last gig was playing 75% in CH2. Curious if there are others lurking out there that are also enjoying it. I'm thinking that most of the guys that don't care for it are playing different types of music.

Well.. I have enjoyed the Brit mode in the Roadster a lot. It doesn't have lots of gain but just enough to make it useable crunch and with boost it is possible to produce convincing lead tone also :) the settings are kinda extreme but it works ;)... I'm playing only in church nowadays and enjoy my tones more than ever :D
I use all channels also cause we have not decided solid structures in songs and the end result will differ according to feeling ;) sometimes we play with heavier tones and sometimes with very atmospheric feel. The roadster has enough flexibility to cover my needs, and a bit beyond...

I use Brit a lot as well. The same settings get a nice classic rock tone with my Les Paul and a slightly gritty clean sound with my tele.

jbird said:
What settings ya'll using? 6L6's?

Well... Here's my Brit: Vol 9:00 Pres 14:00 Bass cranked Mid cranked Tre 13:00 Gain cranked, 50W, tube-recto

Seems kinda extreme :D but it works with my setup. I have strat(S/S/H)/LP(JB/Jazz) and mesa 4x12 traditional cab. With 50W option the low end is not overwhelming. Also I have master vol at 12:00 so all channels can be balanced.
With the LP the gain can be dropped a bit but it sounds great with gain maxed also ;)... The power tubes are JJEL34's - 'cause the 6L6's had too boomy overall tone.

jbird said:

The funny thing is, I had to look. I have no idea what numbers any of my settings are, I just turn knobs until I get the sound that I want. My Brit channel is set up with everything pretty much at 2 o'clock. That gives me a nice light gain with my Les Pauls (BB3/57) and a slightly gritty clean with my tele (stock). 6l6s tube recto, 50 watt.

silentbob said:
jbird said:

The funny thing is, I had to look. I have no idea what numbers any of my settings are...

I'm much the same. I am using 6L6's. Most of my knobs are hovering around noon with brit mode. If I turn down the volume of my LP, it's clean with a little punch, and when I turn up the volume I get the grit & growl.

I have a Dual Rec, so no Brit mode.... but I love my Raw channel. Love it long time. Doing a lot of AC/DC with it right now. When the gain is reigned in, the normal EQ suggestions go out the window. Pushing all the EQ controls to 2 to 4 o'clock while the gain is at 9 o'clock sounds really cool and only sizzles when I slam it.

I've since configured it more conventionally, but I had a decent Donnington sound for Angus (he was using a Mesa preamp in a rack for The Razors Edge tour with a shallow "w" shape on the 5 band EQ). I really like the lower gain sounds with the tube rectification. In my case, spongy and tube makes the power amp run a bit below 40 watts or so, I think. Really freaking cool.

But then..... I want to play Sad But True or Harvester of Sorrow... or Stinkfist... and the tweaking begins anew.

If I ever replace this, it will be with a Roadster. I could use a dedicated Brit mode aside from the other two.

If you want Brit mode to scream, dime the Master Volume for the channel. Add in a clean boost and EL34s to taste.

Unfortunately, cranking the Master sounds great, but wrecks havoc with dialing in a usable setting for the clean channel.

But it sounds rad.

Back