Need some expert advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mc_carlini

Reaction score
I'm new here and thought this would be the best place to start.

I currently have a 3 Channel Dual Rectifier Solo Head running through a Mesa slant 4x12 cab. I bought both together for a screaming deal a few years ago and voila: I had my dream rig. Mark Tremonti/Alter Bridge rank #1 for me, and that beautiful heavy tone is still what I am after.

However, separating myself from the psychological and visual factor of this beautiful rig, which has taken a few years, I have to say: I don't think this is right rig for me right now. Too big, too loud, and not enough versatility :oops: . Here is a little context:

I am just about to graduate college and I have a good job lined up in marketing, and the company has all kinds of opportunities and connections for booking bands at various venues of all types and sizes. I haven't been in a band for a few years (yeah, the rig has just been sitting there collecting dust and it kills me) but this next year I plan to find at least a group to jam with, if not form an actual group. I want to be able to play across the spectrum: hard rock, blues, jazz, etc., so I think this rules the Dual rectifier out. I don't think I need a 4x12 for jamming or playing at tap houses (or at most any venue, especially one with a sound system where a smaller amp could be mic'd), so I am considering selling the 4x12 as well. It also takes up a lot of room and transporting it is not the easiest.

Joe Bonamassa ranks #2 in terms of tone search, and this is where I need some advice: Is there a Mesa amp that can get me close to both Tremonti hard rock and Bonamassa blues all in one?

The plan is to sell the cab and the head and I am looking for some kind of 2x12 combo amp, maybe the Roadster? Which artists use the Roadster?

I apologize if this thread is a repeat, but I already looked in the Roadster FAQ thread and tried searching.

I went through a phase like that about three years ago, wanting something different. The fellows here urged me not to get rid of my Dual Rectifier and I'm glad I listened.

Rather than switching gear, why not simply expand your setup? Find a used Electra Dyne and get an RA 27" 1 x 12. It's a smaller form factor and plenty awesome for blues / rock stuff. The 1 x 12 is as wide as the mesa headshells and it can work as a downsized cab for the recto as well. If funds are a huge issue, you can flip the 4 x 12 to cover the cost of the 1 x 12. A used mesa will be similarly priced to the amount of cash you would lose flipping the recto head and then buying another new head. The plus side, you're not losing out on your equity this way. (I got rid of my 4 x 12 and I kind of regret it now)

Other suitable mesas for what you want: Express series. TA30. Royal Atlantic. There are some other options.

mc_carlini said:
The plan is to sell the cab and the head and I am looking for some kind of 2x12 combo amp, maybe the Roadster?

If you like the Recto sounds and are looking for more versatility in a single amp, the Roadster sounds like a plan but just don't get it in the combo format - if you plan to gig it, that is. If you thought your 4x12 was a PITA to lug around, the Roadster 2x12 combo is not going to be any easier. It may be smaller but it is insanely heavy! The only thing even worse would be, I reckon, a Road King 2x12 combo. A RKII head alone is about as heavy as a Mark V combo - and a Mark V combo is heavy enough already. (Then factor in a built-in 2x12 cab on top of that.)

Get a Roadster head and then find a separate cab (2x12 or 1x12) that suits your sonic needs. Your back will thank me in the years to come for this advice.

Maybe the rectoverb25 combo. Has the power cut to help low volume. Not too huge or heavy. Very versatile, especially with a boost option in front.

mc_carlini said:
I'm new here and thought this would be the best place to start.

I currently have a 3 Channel Dual Rectifier Solo Head running through a Mesa slant 4x12 cab. I bought both together for a screaming deal a few years ago and voila: I had my dream rig. Mark Tremonti/Alter Bridge rank #1 for me, and that beautiful heavy tone is still what I am after.

However, separating myself from the psychological and visual factor of this beautiful rig, which has taken a few years, I have to say: I don't think this is right rig for me right now. Too big, too loud, and not enough versatility :oops: . Here is a little context:

I am just about to graduate college and I have a good job lined up in marketing, and the company has all kinds of opportunities and connections for booking bands at various venues of all types and sizes. I haven't been in a band for a few years (yeah, the rig has just been sitting there collecting dust and it kills me) but this next year I plan to find at least a group to jam with, if not form an actual group. I want to be able to play across the spectrum: hard rock, blues, jazz, etc., so I think this rules the Dual rectifier out. I don't think I need a 4x12 for jamming or playing at tap houses (or at most any venue, especially one with a sound system where a smaller amp could be mic'd), so I am considering selling the 4x12 as well. It also takes up a lot of room and transporting it is not the easiest.

Joe Bonamassa ranks #2 in terms of tone search, and this is where I need some advice: Is there a Mesa amp that can get me close to both Tremonti hard rock and Bonamassa blues all in one?

The plan is to sell the cab and the head and I am looking for some kind of 2x12 combo amp, maybe the Roadster? Which artists use the Roadster?

I apologize if this thread is a repeat, but I already looked in the Roadster FAQ thread and tried searching.

The rectifiers are alot more versitile then people give them credit. For blue's tone you can either used push on clean channel and roll back your volume for clean or use raw on 2nd channel, in raw or pushed max the gain and slam the front end with a tube screamer with maxed level and you can also use some or all gain from the pedal as well, gives you a screaming rock tone.

Also there are many pedals out there now that will give you that tone going through the clean channel.

As for power you can yank two power tubes and cut it down to 50 watts. If you do this you have to miss match your cab with out put setting on back of amp, example use the 4 ohm tap to go into an 8 ohm cab.

The cab is up to you on what you want to do, i say keep the 4x12.

FYI what might have been a good deal years ago might be all you get for the amp/cab now, the original 3 channels took a hit on price once the reborns came out, i see them sell for $800 to $900 all day and the cabs selling for about $400.

Thanks for the words, everyone. I ended up pulling the trigger on this last night…

00x0x_2zuM3dvzCnF_600x450.jpg

Marshall Class 5. Capable of some gnarly blues tones apparently. I would have preferred the head, but I do like the white…

I may hold onto the rectifier as many of you are recommending. Thank you siggy14 for the blues settings, it actually does sound pretty good.

I may end up just trading down the 4x12 for a 2x12. Funny how the 2x12s seem to be almost as expensive as the 4x12, I guess you really do pay for convenience :lol:

If you can swing it, the Road King has some incredible versatility. I tend to use my Electra Dyne more, but only because it fits the style of what I'm doing now. Plus, I use an Xotic BB with my Dyne, whereas I don't with the RK.

mc_carlini said:
Thanks for the words, everyone. I ended up pulling the trigger on this last night…

00x0x_2zuM3dvzCnF_600x450.jpg

Marshall Class 5. Capable of some gnarly blues tones apparently. I would have preferred the head, but I do like the white…

I may hold onto the rectifier as many of you are recommending. Thank you siggy14 for the blues settings, it actually does sound pretty good.

I may end up just trading down the 4x12 for a 2x12. Funny how the 2x12s seem to be almost as expensive as the 4x12, I guess you really do pay for convenience :lol:

No problem, and yeah the Mesa 2x12's hold their value pretty well... My suggestions for your style of music go with another brand and put some greenbacks or for the best bang for the buck is the EVH speakers which are basically the heritage greenbacks with and EVH sticker slapped on them. V30's are great for hard rock and rock and metal, but I think for blues to Rock you do better with a greenback varient.

Latest posts

Back