Is it safe to power two 4X12 Recto cabs with RK on 50wts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armando

Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone know if it's "safe" to run two 4X12 Recto cabs(V30) with a Road King head set to 50watts?? I'm coming out 4ohms outputs to each cab, which are 8 ohms each.

I'm just curious as to whether this could be unsafe to either the head, the cabs or both?

Thanks in advance!

The amp will only see a 4 ohm load so no big deal. However, it will not be louder than a single 412. When running at reduced power output (two tubes vs the full complement) you may tend to push the tubes harder with increased volume settings. You will get longer tube life running the amp at full power compared to 50W setting. The only concern you should have is when the combined load becomes less than 4 ohms. So you could use both 8 ohm outputs on both channels A and B and set your cab selection to A+B. That would give you some flexibility if you wanted to run one cabinet by itself with a specific channel.

I personally think it makes more sense to run the amp at 100 watts with a fullstack. That's a lot of speakers to push so your head will feel a little anemic at 50. The Road King has an option to switch to 50 watts on the head so the impedance should be fine, right? Two 4 ohm outputs to 2 8 ohm cabs is perfect.

Regarding the question, "Is it safe?" the answer is, "Yes," as long as the impedance is matched. Wattage is irrelevant. The output is evenly distributed to all the speakers.

Back