Favorite Recto Tone on an Album?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverwulf

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite Recto tone on an album is? I've probably got tons, but I'll get the ball rolling...

Creed - Human Clay

Say what you will about how much you hate the band and all that jazz, but one of the primary reasons I decided I wanted a Recto was because of this album. I heard the album and it sounded massive back then to me, then I ended up catching a show of theirs in Columbus, OH on the Human Clay tour. That sounded huge live and I saw he had Rectos (and read he used the same on the album), so I tracked down the only Mesa dealer in the state where I was (WV) at the time and went to plug one in. I plugged into a Mesa Single Recto and there it was - instantly the tone I've had in my head. That was the late 90's and I haven't looked back since. I traded in my Marshall DSL 100 (which was new back in that day) for a Dual Rectifier not long after.

Soundgarden - Superunknown

Although mixed with a Marshall JMP, it was a different side of the Recto used for less saturated and middle of the road heavy sounds, not to mention used in "spongy" and "tube rectifier" modes as opposed to the typical "bold" and "silicon diode" modes used by most rockers. The mid gain, squishier tones of the album I enjoyed as it showcased a different vibe of the Recto on record.

I agree with
Soundgarden Superunknown

What a sound that had, big and bold.

Later sounds would be

Disturbed The Sickness

That was it finally for me, that sound was what I wanted. Granted I still don't have a Dual Recto, but I will. :D

Incubus Science and Make Yourself albums. Thick but with lots of mids. I'll agree on the Mark Tremonti, Disturbed, Godsmack, those type of bands.

Here's a couple more...

Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve

The tone that would become the benchmark of the current "djent" trend 20 years later was a Mesa Dual Rectifier. With the TC in front stripping out some of the low end, Meshuggah crafted a sound that punchy, bold, thick, and yet clearly defined. Still sounds great today!

Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World

One of the albums that defined the modern 7 string, boosted with a OD pedal sound. It's tight and thick, but a completely different vibe than the Meshuggah tone above which was more stripped in the lows.

Yes, that Meshuggah tone was awesome, and definitely created what we hear today.

That Nevermore was what got me into 7 string and definitely an OD out front really gives you "that" sound, love that sound.

siggy14 said:
Ben Duncan said:
Korn, Issues

I think issues was a mixed bag of all different type amps, it was follow the leader that was poor rectifier.

I'm using memories of magazine interviews that I read over ten years ago when I was 12 as references......lol. But I thought that the main rhythm sound on Issues was mostly a rectifier, and that they didn't start blending heavily until Untouchables, using a VH4

Ben Duncan said:
siggy14 said:
Ben Duncan said:
Korn, Issues

I think issues was a mixed bag of all different type amps, it was follow the leader that was poor rectifier.

I'm using memories of magazine interviews that I read over ten years ago when I was 12 as references......lol. But I thought that the main rhythm sound on Issues was mostly a rectifier, and that they didn't start blending heavily until Untouchables, using a VH4

Been years for me as well, but I am pretty sure there are different tones on that album that a rectifier cant make, I will have to go back and listen to it again.

siggy14 said:
Been years for me as well, but I am pretty sure there are different tones on that album that a rectifier cant make, I will have to go back and listen to it again.

There are a couple parts that have their normal sound plus a cocked wah sound or other things, beyond that it sounds pretty rectish to me. I'm strictly talking about rhythm tones. I tried to find an interview or something from then but I'm having a lot of trouble finding info.

Let me know if you listen :)

3124+ said:
Yes, I only like their first two albums though.

Same here, after that they werent really pop punk anymore. I went to a show of theirs once, I mean they are a native DC band. Anyway after that show I decided never again, it was a mixed bag of 11 to 20 year old girls with some guys thrown in and I was 30 at the time, to say the least I kept my hands by my side the whole show and watched who I bumped into and tried to stay away from crowds which was hard at the 9:30 Club in DC.

To name some.

Creed of corse
Korn
Kittie's first two albums, not sure what they used after that as I got out of them.
Almost any of the late 90's Nu-metal bands
Fall Out Boy's first two albums
New Found Glory
The Audition
and many many more....

Anything Mark Tremonti - Creed, Alter Bridge, Tremonti.

He does mix with the Bogner a little for some added low end, but he has said that 80-90% of his tone is from a Dual when he records, Triple when he tours.

Latest posts

Back