Static Like Noise RV25 intermittent

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a RectoVerb 25 that makes intermittent static like noise. In talking to a local tech he suggested watching the bottom of the board for "wiggle" on loose components. I have eliminated the tubes, cables, speakers etc. but welcome thoughts on problem and legitimacy of component wiggle on board. Love the amp! Thanks for any and all input,

Reilly88 said:
I have a RectoVerb 25 that makes intermittent static like noise. In talking to a local tech he suggested watching the bottom of the board for "wiggle" on loose components. I have eliminated the tubes, cables, speakers etc. but welcome thoughts on problem and legitimacy of component wiggle on board. Love the amp! Thanks for any and all input,
Intermittent static like noise is usually a bad preamp tube or EMI/RFI.

How did you eliminate the tubes as a possible source of this static?

Dom

I keep a decent stock of new and vintage tubes. I rotated them in one at a time until all were replaced. Tested the tubes on a Sencore Mighty Mite for grid, shorts, life test etc. All passed well. Problem occurs with the stock Mesa Tubes as well as some vintage Bugle Boys. I have the amp on a known good Furman rack supply and none of the other amps exhibited the problem when using the same supply. Switched the power cord also. Head is less than a year old and not over used or pushed to extremes. Mainly in a studio environment.

If it sounds like a sputtering static noise that comes and goes, it is mostly tubes. Some may test well but the tester may not be operating at the same bias voltage as found in the particular tube socket. But if you changed the preamp tubes, did you change power tubes too?

Yup. That's partly why suspect more then the tubes. Tech that mentioned component looseness to me is a local who work on test equipment and repairs amps for a few locally owned shops. i'm strapped for cash at present so trying to do what I can. I do keep my older tube gear going by myself but when there are solid state components mixed with the tubes I am still learning.

The RV25 is a new model. Shouldn't that still be under warranty? :?:
Maybe you are far from a warranty station or the factory and want to avoid shipping...can't say I blame you.

If you can duplicate the problem consistently enough, you can try pulling the preamp tubes, one at a time, starting with first tube in signal chain (usually V1) to see when the problem stops. That way you will know at about what stage the issue is occurring. A bad solder joint, for example, will cause noise like that.
Of course, you'd still need to get it to a tech to repair.

Also, have you tried a jumper cable in the FX loops jacks? If the noise stops, you may have a bad jack. Mesa generally uses a switching jack for the return and if it is dirty, corroded, or just not making good contact, noise can be the result. A jumper will eliminate that as a possibility.

Good luck with that. I know the feeling of buying a new amp with a defect...no fun! :wink:

PS. I too have some old bugle boys...sound good, don't they? :D

I have a roadster and I am experiencing the SAME thing. Its like an intermittent wave of static that comes and goes. Ive only had the amp since September. Could this be tubes? or something else? Thanks

Latest posts

Back