Mesa Boogie 5 Band Graphic EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand if someone wants a Mesa branded EQ but it's an EQ after all. Like any pedal, there's good and bad ones available.

I prefer more than 5 sliders, though.

looks cool, yet It misses one selling feauture and that is the preset option found in the mark v and express plus, it's such a great thing to have sliders and presets that I just don't see how they,with this simple EQ pedal, could compete with such options on the market that have actual programmable settings, half the size and half the price and more band EQ options.

This is trully a fan aimed product for those owners of boogies that dont have EQs.

It's not just the EQ pedal. They have 2 others that incorporate the Flux-Drive and the ThrottleBox. The lack of a 5 band EQ is one of the things that have kept me from selling my DC3 for a Rectoverb 25. I might just reconsider now. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/pedals/pedals-main.html

I would be curious to know how this works in the effects loop. Since that is traditionally about where the EQ sits in the preamp on my DC3 and other Mesa amps that include an EQ.

I've already pre-ordered one from Sweetwater, they are expected in May.

I'll let you know how it performs in the FX Loop when I get it.

I've always felt there was something special about how Mesa's GEQ responds. I own three different GEQ's & two parametric EQ, none of which feel as musical in my MKV as the onboard EQ. I hope this pedal is the same.

I can't wait to try it with my Stiletto & Marshall DSL.

Dom

bendo said:
It's not just the EQ pedal. They have 2 others that incorporate the Flux-Drive and the ThrottleBox. The lack of a 5 band EQ is one of the things that have kept me from selling my DC3 for a Rectoverb 25. I might just reconsider now. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/pedals/pedals-main.html

I would be curious to know how this works in the effects loop. Since that is traditionally about where the EQ sits in the preamp on my DC3 and other Mesa amps that include an EQ.

This is THE 5-band EQ used in all of our classic amp designs, and will work exceedingly well in the loop of any of our other amps! Thanks!

Authorized Boogie said:
This is THE 5-band EQ used in all of our classic amp designs, and will work exceedingly well in the loop of any of our other amps! Thanks!

This includes the ones with parallel effects loops? I ask because my MXR 10 band sounds like poo in the effect loop of my Dual Rectifier with parallel loop.

bjorn218 said:
Authorized Boogie said:

This includes the ones with parallel effects loops? I ask because my MXR 10 band sounds like poo in the effect loop of my Dual Rectifier with parallel loop.
I doubt the Mesa EQ will be any different in a parallel loop. The dry parallel signal makes it impossible to effectively tone shape.

Have you considered modding to series? I hated the way most of my effects sat in the FX loop in my '01 Triple (parallel), but love them all in the loop of my Roadster & MKV, both series.

Dom

I'm on the fence about modding the loop. The main sticking point is that I thought the mod defeats being able to use the foot controller. I actually use the foot controller for channel switching as well as using the solo boost in live situations.

I'm curious about this as well. I'm considering the mod, but if that actually happens then i'll decline, i like the solo mode.

One of the best things about Mesa amps is the 5-band EQ. I'm glad to see Mesa is offering it in a pedal. Good work, Mesa!

Yet more proof that Mesa employees actually read this forum. :D
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66030#p453788

Yeah, so there already are dozens of EQ pedals and rack units on the market. What extra does this provide?

Nothing.

...except that it is the exact same EQ that you can find on some of the best Mesa amps of all time. Even the best non-Mesa EQs can get you just "pretty close" - but not quite there.

Got a killer deal on a IIc+ that didn't have the GEQ? No problem - just stick this in the loop. Ever wished that your Road King had a Mark-style GEQ? Here's the answer.

I would order one right away if my Mark amps didn't have one already[*]. As it stands, I find other, differently banded EQ pedals more useful. They complement the built-in Mark EQ in interesting ways (and also work nicely with my Rectifiers).

([*] Though not due to the virtues of the demo video in the first post. Scooping an already middle-poor tone is...seriously not a good idea. Neither to my brain - nor, especially, to my ears. The V scoop in the demo video makes the Recto sound like a Metal Zone pedal. :x )

MichaelC4 said:
LesPaul70 said:
The V scoop in the demo video makes the Recto sound like a Metal Zone pedal.
I agree totally. Sounds like bee's in a can.
I agree that it sounds terrible, but I have yet to be able to listen to anything on the internet that comes close to how things sound in real life. With all that said, I measured my pedalboard this morning and rearranged it slightly to make a little extra room for this one. I haven't ordered it yet, but I am very tempted as my fuzz pedal is collecting dust.

LesPaul70 said:
...I would order one right away if my Mark amps didn't have one already[*]. As it stands, I find other, differently banded EQ pedals more useful. They complement the built-in Mark EQ in interesting ways (and also work nicely with my Rectifiers).
That's why I like parametric EQs more than graphics. Number one, knobs, not sliders. Two, there are no limits on the frequencies selected by the manufacturer of the EQ. If I didn't already have a Mini Rec, a Grid Slammer, and a Fromel Shape (granted, only the mid control is fully parametric, but that's where I want the flexibility anyway), I would probably go for the Flux Five, but I'm very satisfied with my current set-up.

And yeah, I know it's different strokes/different folks, but I will never get my head around that scooped mids concept either. More mids is where it's at.

AHAHA! I was just thinking how the graphic EQ would work in the FX loop of a recto to boost the MIDS!! TEhehe.. It would probably help out a tonne for creating a useful lead tone / solo boost.

I think the Electra Dyne would do well with a Graphic EQ as well. Dime the mids to get more crunch and then V scoop it after. LOADS of fuN!

Yes I sure do want one of these pedals, been wondering when they will be released.
The Australian dealer has them listed on their site but at an ungodly price !
Almost twice the RRP listed on the Mesa site.

Im In Sydney Australia and I really do wish international folks like myself could order mesa products direct from mesa USA.

Authorized Boogie said:

What about amps without loops like my TA15? Will this work well in front?

Latest posts

Back