Road King 2x12 vs Carvin Legacy 2x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramon

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Quick question - I have Roadster for about a year and since then I've been connecting it to a Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab (because I didn't have anything else, except 1960A, which doesn't sound good with Roadster at all). It sonds decent, but I'm not 100% happy with the tone. Carvin has it's own, very specific sound (I could hear it when I plugged it into JCM800 too). Anyway - I'd like to achieve tones like Rammstein (since Reise, Reise), or Mettallica from Load, Re-Load and so on and expecially this kind of tone --> http://youtu.be/wKRlhsSsU6M?t=43s . Not the same tones of course, but some like these. Carvin can't give me that. From what I've read here most of you guys reccomend Mesa cabs, especially Horizontal. I haven't had any opportunity to play with this set (Roadster + Horizontal 2x12), so I can't say anything at all. BUT now there I have a chance to trade my Carvin for a Road King 2x12 (with extra charge, but it's still a good deal). And my question here: I know RK isn't a Horizontal (which - I suppose - most of rock bands use), but will I get closer to my "dream" tones with RK? Should I go for it? I will of course try it before buying, but I'm curious about opinion from more experienced people.

Hello. :D
I doubt you'll be happy with a Road King 2x12 based on what influences you listed. This cab is basically two individual 1x12 cabs. One closed back with a V30 and an open back with a C90. A Mesa 4x12 traditional or Rectifier OS cab along with a little volume will get you the Load/Reload tone easy.
If you have to stick with a 2x12 cab then I'd recommend something a bit oversize and either V30 or G12K-100 speakers.
A third option would be to get the right speakers and load them into your Carvin cab.

I have V30's in Carvin, but I guess speakers are not the only thing that defines sound. I thought that counstruction and materials matter a lot. Isn't RK built from the same as the Horizontal (except it's half-opened and has one C90 of course)?

So I bought it (a while ago actually) and the difference is unbelievable. So far so good and I'm quite satisfied with the sound.

I looked into a Carvin Legacy 2X12 cab because I kept seeing them for dirt cheap on various sites. The reviews on them are mixed.

I do know this: a Mesa 2X12 will not disappoint. Yes, you are gonna pay more than you would for a typical 2X12, but it will be worth it. I've seen quite a few players using Marshall, Peavey, or Egnater heads with none other than a Mesa cab. 8)

The RK 2 x 12 is an amazing sound cab as is the 2 x 12 Rectocab.
I personally really like the sound of a v30 and c90 combined so I am not surprised that you are happy with the outcome.

Just a minor detail, the Mesa v30s actually sound different than most since they are an OEM speaker that was designed by Celestion specifically for Mesa.

I know, that they are different. I've read about this in few topics :) But the construction makes a BIG difference. RK 2x12 is much more heavier than Carvin and you can actually hear that. I can say I am satisfied.

Back