Anyone here switch from a mark IV to a Tremoverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Reaction score
I've owned a couple of Rectos in the past and a mark III red stripe and a mark IV "A".
went the Axe Fx route and am now looking to add a real tube head back into the mix.
The Tremoverb is the one Recto I have not had the change to 'try" yet.
I miss my old mark IV , but find that I often crave a bit of the Recto Grind.
Would a tremoverb satisfy me or should I look at something like a DC-5? which I've heard are somewhere
in between a mark Iv and a recto? (or is that a crock?)

I didn't make the switch you mentioned but I will tell you the Tremoverb is my favorite amp.... Over the years I've owned a lot of amps and tried out a ton more and in my opinion the Tremoverb is the best 100w amp for under a grand. 8)

does it behave at all at lower volumes or would I need a hotplate to use it in the house?
One of the things I really like about the Mark IV is that is behaves really well at lower volumes.
I wonder if a roadster would be a better "at home" amp? I really don't know

Tremoverb a bedroom amp!? HAHAHA!!! :lol:

Not unless you like thin, anemic, fizzy tones. (The low volume tones are a more a function of speaker excursion than amp volume which is something that a hotplate won't remedy so much)
I have the RA 27" 1 x 12 extension cab for my Electra Dyne and it works well with my Recto in spite of the c90 speaker. A 1 x 12 like this is your best bet for controlling levels for at home volume but a 100watt tube amp is still loud!

I don't need to play at bedroom levels , just not gig volume or band practice volume. :lol:

I actually picked up a single rectifier, and use that more than the Mark IV. Actually, it's about equal how much I use each one, Very different sounds, recto has more gain, but sounds much more open than the Mark IV, the leads are still smooth and creamy, but it's definitely less compressed. I very much like the single recto's rhythm, especially in vintage mode, tons of gain still, and fizz is much more manageable than modern mode.

Don't just blindly believe everything you read on this board....just yesterday a friend of mine was over playing on my Tremoverb with a Carvin Ultra V tuned to drop c as I was changing strings on another guitar....he had the volume turned really low....even lower then what would be considered a bedroom level....he had it this low so we could have a conversation....while we were talking I mentioned how incredible the sound was even at that volume and he said he was about to say the same thing.

So yes in my opinion the Tremoverb sounds freaking incredible at very low volumes....It even sounds better at low volumes then having my HK tubemeister 18 set to one watt....

I've been searching for a low watt amp the past few months....played quite a few....and I have to question the whole concept of lower wattage amps sounding better at lower volumes....even with 1 watt it is loud....put a few good pedals on a higher watt amp and play at lower levels and I can get the same sound....

So in my opinion get the higher watt amp and put a eq and distortion pedal in front when playing at lower levels and you can still get a great sound....in fact a better sound then any lunch box amp out there....but don't believe me either judge for yourself.

jjmmesa said:
Don't just blindly believe everything you read on this board....just yesterday a friend of mine was over playing on my Tremoverb with a Carvin Ultra V tuned to drop c as I was changing strings on another guitar....he had the volume turned really low....even lower then what would be considered a bedroom level....he had it this low so we could have a conversation....while we were talking I mentioned how incredible the sound was even at that volume and he said he was about to say the same thing.

So yes in my opinion the Tremoverb sounds freaking incredible at very low volumes....It even sounds better at low volumes then having my HK tubemeister 18 set to one watt....

I've been searching for a low watt amp the past few months....played quite a few....and I have to question the whole concept of lower wattage amps sounding better at lower volumes....even with 1 watt it is loud....put a few good pedals on a higher watt amp and play at lower levels and I can get the same sound....

So in my opinion get the higher watt amp and put a eq and distortion pedal in front when playing at lower levels and you can still get a great sound....in fact a better sound then any lunch box amp out there....but don't believe me either judge for yourself.

My experience is similar with 100W heads, dialed in properly through both my well worn cabs cabs in studio conditions. Not midnight quiet, but loud enough to drive speakers and get a good thump

To answer the question - a Roadster is excellent under these conditions, and well worth checking out. Both my MKV and Lonestar sound awesome at studio volumes too. The master volumes on all 3 of these amps are excellent

well that's good to hear.
I'm using a JSX right now and the JSX is really a great low volume amp. I use a clean boost and a 10 band EQ in the loop and can get it to sound great at almost any volume (recto 2X12 cabs f'n rock at low volume)
the only problem is ...................it's a JSX, some days I love and some days I don't.
I've owned in the past
a blackface 2 channel dual recto---no good for low volume but I wish I had kept it
Rectoverb........ not bad , not great
Mark III red stripe...........loved this amp
Mark IV "A"..........loved this one too
so I know I can get a mark series amp to behave, but every time I hear a clip of a Tremoverb it
gives me gas.
I'm going to have to track one down , hopefully GC has a used one I can "try" :)

Latest posts

Back