mesa maverick.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleachedfan

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post. last night I became part of club mesa. I now am the proud owner of a maverick 2x12.
A few questions.
1.this amp has been sitting for a while, anything I should do?
2. There is a slight hiss with nothing plugged in.
3. The reverb buzzes when turned up.

I was also wondering if anyone had info on how to do the 1m mod for the input. I have some experience with fender amps, but those are a different beast.

Anyways, im looking for basic boogie care info . Thanks!

I'm brand new to Mesa too. Got a Stiletto Ace...so I can't help you with your questions. Pretty weird that no one around here has replied.
Oh well. Wish I could help.

EDIT: Actually...maybe I can help on a couple of those...if the hiss is slight, forget about it.
If the reverb noise is slight, forget about it.
If it's a high gain amp (I have no experience with any other Mesa than mine) I'd imagine there's gonna be some hiss. Reverb...how noisy is it? Is it only when you crank it? Are you ever gonna crank the reverb? Or for that matter, are you ever gonna play with nothing plugged into it?

just sit tight for a while - someone will respond - it's that the maverick isn't as common as the standard duel or triple rec's or even the mark's-- always been curious about the maverick - let us know what you think of it :?:

Congrats on your amp. I have owned a maverick head for about 10 years and really like it. I'll try to answer some questions but I'm not a repair guy....I just play the **** thing, but I can try and help until somebody more knowledgeable chimes in.

bleachedfan said:
1.this amp has been sitting for a while, anything I should do?
Not sure how long "a while" is. You might consider having a technician go through the amp, especially since it sounds like there might at least be an issue with the reverb. Mesa has an authorized repair search feature on their website.

bleachedfan said:
2. There is a slight hiss with nothing plugged in.
It's really tough to say just without having the amp in front of me. Does it hiss on either channel or just one? If the output knob is turned up high enough, it's normal to get hiss even with nothing plugged in. If everything is turned down, or it's on standby, and there's a hum then maybe something is up. Humming could mean a capacitor problem, but it's usually not a high pitched hiss. But there's also a fan in the amp and sometimes they get noisy, make sure it's no that that you're hearing (should be obvious).

bleachedfan said:
3. The reverb buzzes when turned up.
That seems strange. I'd guess it's either the reverb tank or the tube driving the 'verb. It's the 5th preamp tube for this amp (looking at the back of the amp, it should be the 2nd from the left....tube 1 is closest the the input jack). Try swapping another preamp tube (if you have a spare you know works, or borrow one from a working amp) in this position and see if that helps the buzz. Any 12_7 will work.

bleachedfan said:
I was also wondering if anyone had info on how to do the 1m mod for the input. I have some experience with fender amps, but those are a different beast.
I'm not familiar with this mod, sorry. You can find schematics here, probably good to have. http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=288

Good luck!

So far as that reverb problem, make sure that you have the right type of tube in there.

My Lonestar is supposed to have a 12AX7 in the reverb slot. I foolishly put a 12AU7 in there. As I turned up the volume, the screech got louder. :lol: Other amps I've had, to include Mesa amps, have never been so tempermental about having the exact type of tube in the reverb slot.

Hope this helps.

I also have a Mesa Maverick 2x12, its a great amp. I get a bit of hiss with my rig also, but find that as it warms up the his actually fades out. With mine, I've been assuming that it is related to tubes needing some replacement, but until the performance is compromised I'm happy to just live with it.

Can you explain to us what the m1 mod is? I've never heard of this mod before.

J

As was said from earlier posters. Reverb tube and or tank. Hiss is to be expected. It's a high gain amp and that's the nature of tubes really. I have the 2x12 Mav and have always loved these amps. My first one was the short head version. Killer amps and built like a tank as you would expect from Mesa. Sadly mine is suffering from a low hum that not even a Mesa tech could explain. Sigh. Anyhoo, good luck if you havent already fixed it...old post and all. :)

Back