Is the Tremoverb manageable for a home use amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Reaction score
Or is it a best like the usual rectos?
I've been gas ing for one of these for years and would love to try one
but the other rectos I've owned in the past need to be cranked to sound any good at all
and I can't do that right now/

Being as I run a Triple Rec and 2 cabs at home, and don't need to crank the snot out of it to sound good, yes you can easily use that at home if you tweak it accordingly. Both with tubes and settings. If I put all the stock tubes back in my amp then I have to rattle the walls before it even sounds halfway decent. A good tube combo will sound great even at low volumes.

it depends how quiet you are looking for? Not disturb someone in the next room? Not gonna happen. Moderately heard on the main floor from a basement. Maybe.

These are tube amps. They require a certain amount of volume to get the power amp and speakers going. They can always be played at low volumes but I think thats where the fizzy/buzzsaw stereotype comes from - people wanting to play these things with no power amp distortion and all preamp gain. In my experiences, that on Recto = Fizz.

not looking for "conversation" level but the last recto I had was a Rectoverb and I ran it though a recto 2X12 and it was just too much.
I'm thinking I may be better off with something like a JSX which I've also had in the past and I know that amp
is great at low volumes (as is the MarkIV which is also on my list), but would run me a lot more cash.
I've been using the Axe Fx II through a Fryette 2/50/2 and I've gotten to the point that I think I'd rather just use the Axe Fx for recording and lose the Fryette and run a tube head into my 2X12. Maybe a Studio Pre if I can find one cheap enough, that would probably pair up nicely with the Fryette.

Maybe decoupling it from the floor and keeping it a few feet from a wall would help with keeping the sound contained. Controlling reflections from the rear and front may help as well. It still wouldn't completely contain it, but it would help keep the bass and highs from creeping through the walls.

I've used a chair, rack, and a custom, home built amp rack with or without foam/blankets to raise and prevent the bass from being absorbed by the floor with combo amps. It also got it closer to or at ear level and I was less likely to crank it. An amp tipped up on a short chair works really well. If you're on a budget, a heavy curtain, couch, or bed will absorb some sound from the bottom, front, or rear (depending on placement) and something like a full bookcase or shelves with various shaped materials can help diffuse the standing waves, clearing up the sound and preventing cancellation. Anything that resonates can be treated to prevent transfer, and if it rattles, it's transferring. It may be as simple as putting a pillow/stuffed animal, or pad on or in something. Since bass and low mids transfer more easily, I would treat those as vigorously as possible.

Again, it won't contain the sound 100%, but will help. I lived with neighbors on either side of me, 20 or 30 feet away, and rarely bothered them.

Back