Effects for the Mini Recto.. delay and reverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adambomb

Reaction score
Starting a "Mini Rig" means having a mini pedalboard too. I'm sick of carrying my rack for effects. I love the Mini so much that I'm gonna practice and gig with it and let the Mark V chill for awhile. Got a TC GMajor in a rack with other stuff but like I said, I sick of lugging around big boards and racks.

The Mini to me sounds great alone but just want some delay and maybe a little Reverb. Was thinking about the TC Flashback pedal and running my OCD and tuner out front. Has anyone tried the Line 6 DL4, TC Repeater, or any of them smaller Line 6 boards in the loop of the Mini? Was also thinking about just getting a little TC Nova board. Main thing is having good delay. So what are you guys using with good results in the loop on the Mini Rec?

I've been using a Boss DD-5 with all my Mesas for the last little while now and like it. I have a few other higher priced delays and the Boss holds its own against them. Where it really excels is that it's repeats are voiced in a way that keeps them from muddying up the dry tone, which is a problem that most of my "better" sounding delays have.

That, and I like the simplicity of a set and forget delay.

Have you checked out the new Flashback X4? Amazon appears to have dropped the price of the original Flashback down to $129.

Mini board for my Mini Rec. The DD-7 in the loop is fantastic.
IMG_0001a.jpg

While I do not own a mini Rec, I have owned a Line 6 DL-4 for a few years and I can tell you about it.
Pros: it has several different delay types plus a simple looper. You can program and store 3 different delays and call them up on the fly, my favorite feature. Each delay has 2 adjustable parameters. It also has tap tempo. Awesome!
Cons: The only delay type that I like is the Analog delay(without modulation). I don't like any of the other delays. So, I basically have 3 analog delays stored with different parameters. The multi-head echo is ok, but it's not adjustable enough due to the fact that there are only 2 adjustment knobs. Basically, it's a digital pedal trying to replicate a bunch of different delays, and it sounds digital.

This model is several years old. Now there are a lot better digital delays out there. It's a good pedal with some very usable features, like storing and calling up 3 different delays on the fly. That's by far the best thing about this pedal. The main thing I don't like is the tone. I would much rather have an analog delay pedal or a one of the newer digital creations available now. There are even delay pedals that have an all-analog signal path, but are digitally controlled. Truly the best of both worlds!

I hope this helps you and good luck on your quest!

KiwiJoe said:
IMG_0001a.jpg

Kiwijoe, what kinda music you playin? I'm looking to oversimplify my effect rig as well.

Patrick

dadoffive said:
Kiwijoe, what kinda music you playin? I'm looking to oversimplify my effect rig as well.

Patrick
Patrick, we're pretty eclectic, playing mostly blues, bluesy jazz to jazzy blues (modal Miles, Cannonball, etc.), and blues-based classic rock: Santana, Cream, Chicago, John Mayall, Clapton, Tom Petty, old (Peter Green era) Fleetwood Mac, Procol Harum, Steve Miller, etc.

I'm thinking of adding a nice reverb pedal and possibly swapping out the GE-7 for a parametric or a compressor, but I'm definitely a minimalist with the pedals.

This is the pedalboard I use for the Mini Recto in my cover band:

IMAG0231.jpg

The unmarked silver box is a buffered loop switcher and channel switch my tech put together for me. I've got the delay and clean boost in the loop, so I have a solo switch. I've got an A/B switch to go between the acoustic and electric rigs, and I don't use much gain on channel two of the amp; the tube screamer and DS-1 are modded, and they get me all the saturation I need for the few occasions that warrant it.

They're fun amps to play live, since I can actually turn the thing up. I laugh at people who say Rectos aren't versatile.

dadoffive said:
KiwiJoe said:
IMG_0001a.jpg

Patrick

What kinda pedalboard is that?

Oh btw, I ordered a TC Flashback Delay on Black Friday from Music123 15% off. But now I'm lookin for a small board and a way to power 4 pedals.

Adambomb said:
dadoffive said:
KiwiJoe said:
IMG_0001a.jpg

Patrick

What kinda pedalboard is that?

Oh btw, I ordered a TC Flashback Delay on Black Friday from Music123 15% off. But now I'm lookin for a small board and a way to power 4 pedals.
That's an NYC Pedalboards Six Shot. Google around, and you'll see that there really are only good things said about NYC.

http://www.nycpedalboards.com/sixshot.html

I'm using a simple One Spot daisy chain-type of power supply (with the daisy chain under the floorboard; you'll see the drilled holes I made to do that). With only 4 or so pedals, they work just fine. No need for a DC Brick or VoodooLabs unless that is what you want.

noodles said:
This is the pedalboard I use for the Mini Recto in my cover band:

IMAG0231.jpg

The unmarked silver box is a buffered loop switcher and channel switch my tech put together for me. I've got the delay and clean boost in the loop, so I have a solo switch. I've got an A/B switch to go between the acoustic and electric rigs, and I don't use much gain on channel two of the amp; the tube screamer and DS-1 are modded, and they get me all the saturation I need for the few occasions that warrant it.

They're fun amps to play live, since I can actually turn the thing up. I laugh at people who say Rectos aren't versatile.

This pedalboard is geniuse. I'm interested to something like a switch to activate a couple pedals in the loop. got delay in the loop but need a clean boost I guess to get a louder solo tone. You think that would work? Have an OCD out front but it's not much of a volume boost for solos. Want something like what you got going on without as many pedals.

Adambomb said:
This pedalboard is geniuse. I'm interested to something like a switch to activate a couple pedals in the loop. got delay in the loop but need a clean boost I guess to get a louder solo tone. You think that would work? Have an OCD out front but it's not much of a volume boost for solos. Want something like what you got going on without as many pedals.

If you just need a single loop switcher, you can get a good one for not much scratch:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ampaign=none&gclid=CJC2wI7U9LMCFYKK4AodomsAwA

I've got two overdrives because I need to cover a broad range of tones and saturation levels. For example, I have the TS7, DS-1, and chorus all on, going through channel 2, when we play Boston's "Peace of Mind", but it's channel 1 and the TS7 for Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance". My pedalboard would be a lot simpler looking if I didn't play acoustic, too, since I could ditch the A/B switch and acoustic preamp.

I like OD pedals out front, since I use them for added gain AND tone shaping. I'm happy with the LPB-1 as a solo boost in the loop, since it doesn't change the tone at all; it just makes it louder. It gets LOUD, too, which is why it's set around 9:00.

noodles:

have you considered installing an Allums mod kit on your TS7? I was surprised that the TS7 sounds as good as it does, and the mod improved it noticeably. Hard to decide, though, cuz the "LOK" style pedals have much smaller, more fragile components and pcb inside, they are much more difficult to work on......which also means the mod is almost impossible to undo if you don't like the result.

I run a Supernova and a Barber Custom and a chorus in front, and my mini rec loop has Pedalhacker mod BF2 flanger, Hardwire reverb and Hardwire delay.......and I have one spot left for maybe a vibe or trem pedal. Using a 1-Spot but would love to afford a non-chained PS.

I sometimes use my TC Hall of Fame reverb with my Mini -- sounds great in the loop (and out front if the amp is set clean). The amp sounds good enough not to really need it though. I gotta decide if it's worth the extra cable and power concerns to have it for that *one song* where reverb is actually featured.

I don't use delay that much, so I can't comment there. But I do occasionally click on my Carbon Copy. Also sounds fine.

Guess I'm actually not much in the camp to speak to this question... :lol:

I run a Boss DD20 and TC Hall of Fame reverb thru the loop (s) on all three of my MB amps... great results

Carbon Copy in my loop. Love it....a little dark but stays out of the way even when set pretty wet.

Tried the Carbon Copy, Boss DD7, and Gmajor Delay... but settled on the TC Flashback Delay. Sounds so much more crisp and tranparent. Yes even the TC Gmajor delay dont sound as good as the actual TC Flashback pedal. Got it in the loop on my pedalboard so I have the buffered bypass dipswitch on and sounds better than way with the long cable run. Needing a Reverb, Chorus, and Compressor now.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Adambomb said:
Tried the Carbon Copy, Boss DD7, and Gmajor Delay... but settled on the TC Flashback Delay. Sounds so much more crisp and tranparent. Yes even the TC Gmajor delay dont sound as good as the actual TC Flashback pedal. Got it in the loop on my pedalboard so I have the buffered bypass dipswitch on and sounds better than way with the long cable run. Needing a Reverb, Chorus, and Compressor now.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Glad you found the right delay for you, bro. I've been frustrated with the GE-7 EQ on my board, so it's getting replaced in a day or two when my new Fromel Shape arrives (YAY!).

As for reverbs, I'm looking really hard at the Mr. Black (Jack DeVille) Supermoon to run last in the loop. I think that's next and will complete the board.

http://www.mrblackpedals.com/products/supermoon

soundchaser59 said:
have you considered installing an Allums mod kit on your TS7? I was surprised that the TS7 sounds as good as it does, and the mod improved it noticeably. Hard to decide, though, cuz the "LOK" style pedals have much smaller, more fragile components and pcb inside, they are much more difficult to work on......which also means the mod is almost impossible to undo if you don't like the result.

Oh, mine's seriously modded. This guy Joe that I knew from another forum started with your standard vintage mod, but then he dropped the bass cut to a lower frequency. Originally, this was aimed at 7-string players who complained that a TS was thinning out the low B string too much, but it does wonders at fattening up the traditionally thin TS sound. He made the gain circuit a lot less aggressive--he altered it with the intention of always using a little gain, even as a boost. It's why I run the gain around 11:00-12:00.

I like it so much, I got the DS-1 from him, too. I wanted something that sounded like the guys trying to boost the crap out of an old Plexi. In comes this thick, creamy piece of awesome. It's almost like syrup.

Sorry for the necrobump. :lol:

Back