Looking for good Mini Rectifier settings to nail EVH Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reeko

Reaction score
Guys,

So, I was on youtube listening to clips of people playing their mini rect and heard one guy that seemed to nail a Pretty Good early EVH tone but he didn't post any settings.

I have not been able to get that calssic EVH Ryhtm tone and wondered if anyone here had some settings that might work.
I Can't seem to decide if I should be Push CH 1 or Vintage CH2 and other tone settings etc.

FYI: I play a Les Paul (AFD model) and am using the mini Rectifier 1x12 cab. Have some delay and verb in the loop.

Do the mini's have the bold/spongy settings on the back? If so I'd use spongy since Ed used a variac on his old Marshalls. I would also thing that vintage, or raw mode if the mini has it, would get closer than ch1 pushed mode would. Be conservative with the treble and use the presence to bring out the top end, but just mess around with it from there.

I'm not sure you are going to be able to "nail EVH Tone" with a Recto, regardless of which incarnation of Recto you are using.

I think the Stiletto would be your best bet if you want a Mesa to "nail EVH Tone." Otherwise, get a EVH 50-watt head. Those things totally nail EVH's tone.

I don't know... this guy seems to be close. Maybe a litle buzzy, perhaps can be tweaked a little with an EQ in the loop .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5oF7TLKIg4

Unfortunately he did not post settings.

Hey that's me ! lol :shock: i was just messing with my SG, les paul prb would of sounded a little top end to it.

Doubt this will work for you but you can try my Vintage settings...
Gain:11:30-12:30, Tre: noon, Mid:8:30, Bass:10:27, Pres: 8:30-9, and Master anywhere above 9. 25 watts, loop engaged.

Cool thing about these settings is that you can switch between Vintage and Modern mode without touching a knob (except maybe bass down a hair in modern) and the modes both sound good with these settings.

Of course everybody's tastes vary. I'm using a 2x12 mesa cab and a Les Paul with Burstbuckers 1-2. Also put a Tung-Sol in V1 which REALLY helped to smooth the gain out and give me a better clean tone too.

Mate, I can't help you with the EVH thing, but if you're ever interested in a Wes Montgomery, Santana (Abraxas album), or Larry Carlton/Dumble-esque tone, let me know. :mrgreen:

I guess it depends on your definition of "nailing" it. Vintage mode or Pushed Clean with a little boost in front should be close enough for grins. But for my definition of nailing it, you've got the wrong amp and cab. You might do better running a plexi pedal like a Plexitone into the clean channel set clean.

KiwiJoe said:
Mate, I can't help you with the EVH thing, but if you're ever interested in a Wes Montgomery, Santana (Abraxas album), or Larry Carlton/Dumble-esque tone, let me know. :mrgreen:
how are you running the santana tone? Love Carlos:)

ken361 said:
KiwiJoe said:
how are you running the santana tone? Love Carlos:)
With my guitar (semi-hollow body) here's the settings* that get me close to the old Super 60/Mark I tone, to my ears and some others who have heard and agreed:

Channel 2 "Vintage" setting, 10 watts (although I'm sure it wouldn't change much at 25)

• Gain: 11-12
    Treble: 3
    Mids: DIMED!
    Bass: 11
    Presence: DIMED!
    Master Vol: 12-1
    Boss GE-7 EQ: 800 and 1.5khz pushed about 3-4 db, gain flat
(all amp settings are "o'clock")
Add some delay/reverb to your liking,and that should get you close with that mid-rich punch and singing sustain. YMMV.

Good luck and let me know how it works for you!

I already posted this over at the MLP forums but since it's Recto-specific I think it fits here as well :)

So I finally got around recording a micro demo of a EVH-esque tone with the Mini Rectifier. I never learned any VH tune before and "You really got me" is simple enough so I went with that :D

Here's the sound sample (over a really nice free backing track):
http://soundcloud.com/davidcorrales/you-really-got-me

Here are the settings (I added a red dot to make them easier to read):
Settings_zpsb7a51adb.jpg

Here's the mic placement (used a WGS Retro 30 speaker):
Micplacement_zps68ee652b.jpg

For me these settings are way too trebly although they cut like a knife! And the whole point was getting close to the EVH tone :)

ken361 said:
thanks, using the bridge pup all the time?
No worries, mate. I use the bridge probably 90% of the time; it's just a rounder, fuller sound that I like. I use the bridge every now and again, like maybe switching in the middle of a solo, accompanied by a change in phrasing or dynamics, just to keep things fresh; or in certain rhythm work where there might be another instrument like an organ or another guitarist the bridge just cuts through a bit better, especially if I'm playing low register stuff on the wound strings. Also, whenever I use the wah (which isn't that often) I'm on the bridge because the frequency response is better and less flubby at the bottom of the wah sweep.

I'll post some demos so you can hear what I'm talking about.

David Corrales said:
I already posted this over at the MLP forums but since it's Recto-specific I think it fits here as well :)

So I finally got around recording a micro demo of a EVH-esque tone with the Mini Rectifier. I never learned any VH tune before and "You really got me" is simple enough so I went with that :D

Settings_zpsb7a51adb.jpg

For me these settings are way too trebly although they cut like a knife! And the whole point was getting close to the EVH tone :)
i would think it would be bright at least with my v30, it sounded pretty smooth with the back track. Sounded like it was 2 keys or something but not in a bad way:)

ken361 said:
David Corrales said:

Settings_zpsb7a51adb.jpg

i would think it would be bright at least with my v30, it sounded pretty smooth with the back track. Sounded like it was 2 keys or something but not in a bad way:)

Something to realize when I listened to this.
When I compared it to the real EVH track, I realized that EVH was down tuned (Eb?) so that might explain why it sounds a little bassier than the above track.
Also, when EVH gets to the Palm Muted sections it sounds chunky, the above track did not play palm muted after the intro.

All in all sounds good, I think downtuning might have made it sound closer.

I like to mic the speaker a slightly little more off the cone for warmth

David Corrales said:

Settings_zpsb7a51adb.jpg

Good job man you came pretty close. To quote Larry David "pretty pretty pretty pretty good".

Thanks for the kind comments guys :mrgreen:

I agree that it's a very bright setting. In fact, it was much brighter than what I would normally aim for but after hearing the song several times I realized it's just like that, bright! Same goes for the mic placement :). I did try to tame the harshness by switching to the 10 watt mode which is warmer and looser.

As mentioned also, the key to it all is in the mix. On it's own it's bright and even kind of "thin" if you will. But when mixed in with the rest it definitely rocks... just as the Mini Recto!

Back