Buying a Mini Recto and have a question for owners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mule#1

Reaction score
Hey Guys! I am buying a mini Recto as a easy to carry backup to my MK V rig and band practice. I have a TA-15 but doesn't have enough gain. My worry is in the store I had to turn the bass down to zero or it had a flubby low end. However on all the you tube videos the gain control is usually never past 12:00 and I had it around 3:00 and treble cranked to 3:00. Does anyone else have a problem with low end? Or did I just have too much gain? I was playing it through a mini recto cab but also tried a Transatlantic open back with the same result.

I greatly appreciate any timely responses as I'd like to buy it this week! Also does it cut through in live settings?

Haven't played a Mini yet, but why do you have the gain and treble up this high ? I'm running the gain on my DR at around 12:00 ... as the manual states, turning the gain up decreases the effect of the tone controls ...

UnderJollyRoger said:
Haven't played a Mini yet, but why do you have the gain and treble up this high ? I'm running the gain on my DR at around 12:00 ... as the manual states, turning the gain up decreases the effect of the tone controls ...

Thanks for the reply! I did not read any manual as I don't own the amp yet. That is what I am looking for. I noticed on line videos always show gain around 12:00. I am going to go today to try that out as I think I was putting into hyper drive lol.

mule#1 said:
Hey Guys! I am buying a mini Recto as a easy to carry backup to my MK V rig and band practice. I have a TA-15 but doesn't have enough gain. My worry is in the store I had to turn the bass down to zero or it had a flubby low end. However on all the you tube videos the gain control is usually never past 12:00 and I had it around 3:00 and treble cranked to 3:00. Does anyone else have a problem with low end? Or did I just have too much gain? I was playing it through a mini recto cab but also tried a Transatlantic open back with the same result.

I greatly appreciate any timely responses as I'd like to buy it this week! Also does it cut through in live settings?

What setting were you on? I'm assuming with all the gain your were speaking of that you were on channel 2, so were you on the "vintage" or the "modern" setting? That is going to make a huge difference.

I'm a relatively new owner, and I'm still playing around with my settings. We all have different tone colors and levels of gain that we're looking for based on the kind of music each of us plays, but I can't see having/needing the gain at 3:00. Like UnderJollyRoger said try backing off the gain to just under 12:00, the master at 12:00 so you can push those ELs - 1:00, baseline the treble, mid, bass, and presence at 12:00 on the 10 watt setting and go from there. That's my baseline set-up with the "vintage" setting (I actually punch up the mids a bit more); I don't do much as of yet with the "modern" setting since I am after a very specific sound. The tone controls are VERY responsive (especially the treble and mids) so it's important to not overdo the gain.

As for cutting through in live settings, I've had mine to a blues jam with a bass, Hammond B3, and drums on stage, in a small venue, and the little thing just cuts through like you wouldn't believe. The house guitarist wanted to use it, and I let him for a set; he was just blown away. And I'm only using a Recto slant cab with the 1X12 V30; I can only imagine pushing a 2X or even a 4X12.

And if you find yourself playing at a bigger place, just mic it up. Everybody I have come in contact with either in an audience or people I've played with ALL comment on how bitchin' my sound is, and I lay all the credit on that Mini. :mrgreen: It really is an amazing little amp!

Yea sometimes I gotta run my bass around 9 depending where I have my other controls set. Like said before, the Minis controls are very responsive and effects other knobs when just one moves. Couldn't imagine having the gain past 1 on Ch2. You probably flubbed out the low end by having way to much gain. This amp truely is way better than some $3000 dollar amps I've played. Just got a 2x12 recto cab for mine and it sound amazing. Was playing through a 4x12 and still sounded amazing, but with a 2x12 or a 1x12 this amps just cuts kicks and thumps. Get one ASAP and you won't regret (as long as you like Mesa amps).

Thanks guys! I picked one up yesterday and like it a lot. I also picked up a 2x12 Recto figuring the extra $200 more than the mini recto cab was worth it since I can put it under my 4x12 and have a stack with my MK V now :lol: I am running the gain between 11:00 and 12:00 now and a bid difference! Can't wait to use it at practice tonight!

I like the gain at 2 o clock or so its thicker sounding, i use all mogami cables and good tubes and get zero flub unless you run the master pass 9 o clock or so. Turning the treble up adds some gain, for my les paul 1 o clock on the treble is fine and presence at 11 o clock. With some old stock tubes helps make the amp more smoother sounding. Stock power tubes arent too great.

when the speaker was new I would run the bass below 12 o clock for bedroom levels and after break in pass 12 was smoother by far.

mule#1 said:
Thanks guys! I picked one up yesterday and like it a lot. I also picked up a 2x12 Recto figuring the extra $200 more than the mini recto cab was worth it since I can put it under my 4x12 and have a stack with my MK V now :lol: I am running the gain between 11:00 and 12:00 now and a bid difference! Can't wait to use it at practice tonight!

Your goal and plans are exactly what I did with both amps cabs and all. Makes the V and Mini sound great. I had to get a 2x12 instead on 1x12 for the Mini, for one price isn't much difference, and 2, the Mini has loads of lowend on tap in the Modern mode so didn't wanna blow a 1x12 cab, even though they are almost immposible to blow. I used to work for WGS speakers and we tried hard to blow up a V30 and we couldn't do it. CONGRATS MAN!

ken361 said:
I like the gain at 2 o clock or so its thicker sounding, i use all mogami cables and good tubes and get zero flub unless you run the master pass 9 o clock or so. Turning the treble up adds some gain, for my les paul 1 o clock on the treble is fine and presence at 11 o clock. With some old stock tubes helps make the amp more smoother sounding. Stock power tubes arent too great.

Yeah for $200 I couldn't see not going that direction! Used it last night at practice and everyone was blown away. Thanks to all for your input.

mule#1 said:
ken361 said:

Yeah for $200 I couldn't see not going that direction! Used it last night at practice and everyone was blown away. Thanks to all for your input.
running the mini into a 412? gotta be sweet

Say, Mule#1, have you tested your Caliber 50+ through the 2x12 Recto as yet?
I have a DC-5 combo (6L6's) and I'm looking at options for cabs of the 2x12 variety. The lead channel on the DC-5 (so far) is just a little too compressed for my liking but I'm thinking that may be the result of the open back. Years ago I had a Calibre 50 (yes, EL84s) which had an almost bell-like clean tone but was similarly compressed on the lead channel, so I'd be interested in your impression with the Recto cab if yet tried.

streengthry said:
I have a DC-5 combo (6L6's) and I'm looking at options for cabs of the 2x12 variety. The lead channel on the DC-5 (so far) is just a little too compressed for my liking but I'm thinking that may be the result of the open back. Years ago I had a Calibre 50 (yes, EL84s) which had an almost bell-like clean tone but was similarly compressed on the lead channel, so I'd be interested in your impression with the Recto cab if yet tried.

I had a DC-5 for a long time! I wish I still had it. Believe it or not the way I got a great sound was to not use the GEQ. The amp is naturally dark and I found when I used the GEQ it was darker and more compressed. You may want to give that a try. As for 2x12's I think the old metal grill top open with a MS-12 or C90 and closed bottom with an EV opens up nice while keeping the low end tight.

With my MK V and Mini Recto they respond well to the Recto cabs but remember they were designed for those speakers. In that way the V30's were new on the Mesa radar when they designed the DC-5 so they sound good with the Vertical 2x12. My 50+ is older than the DC and likes the old cabs. I have heard the DC-5 through a Recto vertical 2x12 with V30's that sounded good!

mule#1 said:
streengthry said:

I had a DC-5 for a long time! I wish I still had it. Believe it or not the way I got a great sound was to not use the GEQ. The amp is naturally dark and I found when I used the GEQ it was darker and more compressed. You may want to give that a try. As for 2x12's I think the old metal grill top open with a MS-12 or C90 and closed bottom with an EV opens up nice while keeping the low end tight.

With my MK V and Mini Recto they respond well to the Recto cabs but remember they were designed for those speakers. In that way the V30's were new on the Mesa radar when they designed the DC-5 so they sound good with the Vertical 2x12. My 50+ is older than the DC and likes the old cabs. I have heard the DC-5 through a Recto vertical 2x12 with V30's that sounded good!

Many thanks for your thoughts (& experience!). Shall approach this a little more deliberately. Am still tweaking this amp, got it not long ago in mint cond. with factory tags - incl. engineers' signatures on inspection card- still on the power cord!
Having an EV12L as one of the speakers in a 2x12 has occurred to me. My experience with a 12L has been as standard equipment in an Acoustic G60T combo I owned before the Cal 50 - an early and very good Boogie 'me-too' amp from the very early 80's. The amount of dynamic 'pump' that the 12L delivered even from upper-register single notes was something to hear. :shock:

streengthry said:
mule#1 said:
streengthry said:

Many thanks for your thoughts (& experience!). Shall approach this a little more deliberately. Am still tweaking this amp, got it not long ago in mint cond. with factory tags - incl. engineers' signatures on inspection card- still on the power cord!
Having an EV12L as one of the speakers in a 2x12 has occurred to me. My experience with a 12L has been as standard equipment in an Acoustic G60T combo I owned before the Cal 50 - an early and very good Boogie 'me-too' amp from the very early 80's. The amount of dynamic 'pump' that the 12L delivered even from upper-register single notes was something to hear. :shock:

Trial and error! I have an older 2x12 I could sell but the shipping to australia would cost twice what the cab was lol. I have 3 of them and really love the sound.

I just had to chime in here - I played through a mini recto for the first time last weekend and was totally blown away. Don't ask me what settings I used, I just tinkered until I got it where I wanted.

It was running into a Mesa 2x12 vertical cab (not the older halfback-one of the newer sealed models) on a hardwood floor & it sounded very nice.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of these gems to anyone playing any style

Latest posts

Back