Rectifier Question: For Foo Fighters tribute: which Recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkle

Reaction score
Rectifier Question: For Foo Fighters tribute

I owned a solo rectifier a long time ago....
My question is...

I need to cover some clean parts...some more "brittsh parts" and then the REcto parts like Monkey wrench....

When did the 3 channels come out? And what is a good year to look for if any stands out?

I have a chance for an old tremoverb...would that work?

What would be the "best year: for a Dual Recto....

Or should I go Roadking?

Thanks for the help....

Pretty sure Dave Grohl runs through regular old run of the mill 3ch dual and triple recs. Any year 3ch the 3 bases you're looking to go for. You wouldn't need the road king and you probably wouldn't be able to cover all 3 in a live situation with any of the 2ch recs.

I thought they used Roadkings...Any Rectifier will get ya close enough...I might go for that Tremoverb if I were you!

Before the roadkings came out he would use dual rec's and I believe Vox's for clean. When the roadking came out he ditched the two amp setup and just used the roadking 1.

Dave is from my area and I knew a guy in this area that was friends with him, he said on the early albums the record company made him record with marshalls (DSL's) but he would tour with the dual rec.

Grohl was using Road Kings for a very long while, although I believe recently has switched to a handwired HiWatt and Vox setup...but if you're looking to capture the sound, along with all the versatility of the parts you mention...Road King. It's a monsterous amp.

A bit outdated, but decent reference:

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/78-foo-fighters-dave-grohls-guitar-gear-rig-and-equipment

It is a shame too, he sounded so much better through the roadking

BoogieMan_SC said:
Grohl was using Road Kings for a very long while, although I believe recently has switched to a handwired HiWatt and Vox setup...but if you're looking to capture the sound, along with all the versatility of the parts you mention...Road King. It's a monsterous amp.

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/78-foo-fighters-dave-grohls-guitar-gear-rig-and-equipment

siggy14 said:
It is a shame too, he sounded so much better through the roadking

BoogieMan_SC said:

Agree 100%

siggy14 said:
Before the roadkings came out he would use dual rec's and I believe Vox's for clean. When the roadking came out he ditched the two amp setup and just used the roadking 1.

Dave is from my area and I knew a guy in this area that was friends with him, he said on the early albums the record company made him record with marshalls (DSL's) but he would tour with the dual rec.

I didn't know VA was in the "area" of Warren, Ohio...which is in the NW corner of Ohio. Sorry, just bustin your chops lol.

As a huge foo fan. I can tell you they both used 2 channel recs/ ac30s until 2000's. switched to 3 ch recs/ac30's when the 3 ch came out. and you know the rest. You can see them using 2 ch recs in some earlier live vids on youtube. At one point in the earlier days dave used a savage 2x12 with the 2 ch rec, but not sure what model. which can also be seen on youtube vids. :D

He's only using the Vox and the HiWatt for specialized stuff. He's always had those.

Most of the early recordings were done with a Single Rec 50 Solo until Colour and the Shape, when the switch to Dual Recs was made. He still had his Vox's for cleans, but that was when Mesa came to him with the RoadKing, which covers most cleans now (and everything else) when playing larger venues.

His main amp right now for large venues is 2 RoadKings, a Fender Tone Master for smaller venues.

Chris still plays his RoadKings, though for smaller shows he uses Fender tweed amps, and his pedals for OD. I've seen him with Blues Jr's at the garage tour.

They both still have Vox's that are used for cleans and some OD. I don't think they will ever give those up.

I play in a FF cover band. I play Lead and Rhythm (not much lead in FF tracks). MANY times i have heard the comment "You've nailed that tone".

I run a Roadster in 50 Watts with 2 power tubes and a rec pulled (I know it's not neccessary, but I'd rather save my heater elements as spares).

I also have a Mesa-DC3 that I use in the practice area, and for smaller gigs. I was able to dial it pretty **** close. It cuts through everything.

I use a TS808 and a few different Fuzz pedals (Karl, CoolCat), phaser 100, and a Carbon Copy. We cover about half of their catalog right now. I have never needed anything more than this.

Not trying to sound like a know it all or anything like that, just sharing my experience, and my sickening love for the Foo.

PreAmp tubes
V1 - TungSol Re-issue
V2 - Mesa SPAX7
V3 - Stock Russian Mesa
V4 - Stock Russian Mesa
V5 - Stock Russian Mesa
V6 - Stock Chinese Mesa (Russians kept dropping in there)

Power Tubes
Stock Mesa

P8292745.jpg

P8292746.jpg

P8292748.jpg

P8292750.jpg

Thanks for all the Help...
I just picked up a Dual rect...3 channel...
I also have a Morgan Mv45...and will find a use for...

I think I am getting a Pro co rat...since it seems to pop up...

They use the RAT distortion pedals ALOT. Good choice.

I find that my TS808 covers what the RAT does. You could also go for a Maxon OD.

Tremoverb all the way

Play the Rhythm channel clean, run an OD or distortion pedal through it for the pushed Marshall sound, and then set up the lead channel with the Modern Recto sound with the gain around 3 oclock.

I have a tone freak Naked OD...which is a killer pedal...

bendo said:
They use the RAT distortion pedals ALOT. Good choice.

I find that my TS808 covers what the RAT does. You could also go for a Maxon OD.

Thanks ...

I got a Dual rect....3 channel the other day...

brungio said:
Tremoverb all the way

Play the Rhythm channel clean, run an OD or distortion pedal through it for the pushed Marshall sound, and then set up the lead channel with the Modern Recto sound with the gain around 3 oclock.

Anyone have any idea of what pedal Chris or Dave used to use for solo's? Specifically the days when they played with the 3ch DR's. It seems that Chris has changed his pedals so many different times over the years that I haven't really been able to narrow down what he used during his time with the DR's.

Some people have claimed that the Foos use Dual Rectifiers on their records. To clarify -- yes, they did use Rectifiers almost exclusively on "The Colour And The Shape". On the first release though, Dave mostly used a Marshall, with a Vox used sparingly on some of the tracks. Everything after "The Colour ..." and all the way to "One By One" though was mostly a Vox amp and some pedals. Dave relied on the Vox for his clean AND dirty tones. After "One By One," Dave and and his bandmates used lots of different boutique amps, Fender amps, Hiwatts, and Vox amps. It should be noted that Dave, in an interview on Mesa's website, claimed that they really only used the Road King Rectifier for their recorded clean tones on some tracks.

Chris backs these claims up as well. There are tons of interviews online that can be found of Chris talking about the power of the Vox sound, and how you don't need that much distortion and gain when recording rock tracks.

Back