Rev F with parallel fx loop R-002958

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feedthesweed

Reaction score
So after reading up on 2 channel dual rectifiers I came to the conclusion that mine was a rev G . Even though it has two 16-8 speaker outputs, small logo, attached power cord, it does have a parallel fx loop. Everything I had read previously suggested that only rev G's had parallel fx loop.

My curiosity just didnt let me settle there so I finally opened up the amp to look what the PCB said. To my astonishment it says RF-1F!

I dont know if this has ever been seen before but I have not seen or read about a Rev F with a parallel fx loop or such a high serial number.

Unfortunately I dont have any experience with other dual rectifiers (other than 3channel ones that I dont like that much). I took it to a friend to hook it up to his 4x12 with vintage 30s and it sounds amazing. orange channel sounds like a Marshall done right, fuller and more aggressive. The red channel is even more aggressive but with the rectifier tone more present but without being too buzzy or fizzy.
Other than that I dont know how to describe it too well since I am not that good with the terminology of describing the sound with words.

photo1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo-1.jpg

if I remember correctly rev F finished around 2800...Yours looks like rev G with rev F board...I heard same story with rev F serial but with rev D board inside of amp...

Thats what I am thinking. My question then is, would it be wired like a rev F or G? Since I have no point of reference I cant tell by how it sounds. Not to mention I have been playing it through a half-back 4x12 and it sounds nothing like a v30 cabinet, it sounds way darker and cuts through way less.

Probably should also mention that this is my first post on this forum, I have been reading a lot of posts here so I wanted to make sure I share this discovery since at least to me it is quite the oddball.

I have an oddball myself, so it's nice to see another one out there. Was always wondering what's up with mine, as the research I've done makes everything seem to contradict each other:
Small logo
Serial # 3170
Inspected 12/1992
EIA606 transformers
RF 1F board
Attached power cable
Parallel FX loop
16/8 16/8 4 4 speaker outs

I recently put EL34s in this bad boy and it sounds CRAZY good. Any additional insight about my amp is greatly appreciated!

Serial effects loop — This can be identified in the back of the amp by the presence of only a Send knob and one arrow pointing to the jack.
Parallel effects loop — Identifiable by the presence of two knobs (Send and Return) and two arrows pointing to the jacks. This appears on every Revision G
Detachable power cable. Appeared after a few thousand amps into Revision G
A speaker output impedance configuration of 8-16ohm, 8-16ohm, 4ohm, 4ohm for Revision F
Attached power cable for Revision F (which actually helps to reduce hum from the amp)
Small “Mesa Engineering” logo on the front of the head shell Revision F
Large “Mesa Engineering” logo on the front of the head shell. This appeared a few thousand amps into Revision G.
All Revision G's have parallel loops and all Revision F's have serial loops. But whereas all Revision F's have a serial loop, small logo, and attached power cord, there are some G's that carry over the attached power cord and a small logo in addition to a parallel loop. This is contrary to later Revision G's that have a detachable power cord, large logo, and a parallel loop.

It's a transitional model. I've had quite a few, still have one now. Revision F went well into the 2900's confirmed, and you still see various F's scattered into the low 3000's as well. In the 2900 to 3600 or so range, you will find some occasional F's with parallel loops and some G's with serial loops as Mesa was making the jump to what would officially become the iconic Revision G circuit that ran it's course in the 90's.

For example, my Revision G in my signature is a straight up Revision C chassis with serial loop, and it's in the 3500's. All of the ones I've had - both Revision F and G - through the mid 3500's or so have sounded virtually identical to every earlier F I've owned.

I too have a strange Dual Rec.

It was built in 92 as it's written inside, its serial number R01544, has a black metal grill with chrome diamond plate, attached power cord, it screams revision F, has all the things my Rev F had, but has a Rev G board inside?!?!?

Very strange.

Sounds amazing however.

Cheers.

Diezelmonster said:
I too have a strange Dual Rec.

It was built in 92 as it's written inside, its serial number R01544, has a black metal grill with chrome diamond plate, attached power cord, it screams revision F, has all the things my Rev F had, but has a Rev G board inside?!?!?

Very strange.

Sounds amazing however.

Cheers.

Contact Boogie and see it they have a record of a repair. Sounds like it came back and had the board replaced at some point. Either way, it sounds great, and that's all that matters!

My old 2 ch rectifier was also a bit of a strange one. It had a serial in the 6k range (I bought it new back in 96) so that put it firmly in the rev G range. It had the parallel loop, the big logo, but it did have the attached powercord and the 8-16, 8-16, 4, 4 speaker jacks. I never opened up the amp because I sold it before all the revision talk began, so I don't know it was a G for sure. Probably was. Great amp. I with I never sold it.

Bullen said:
My old 2 ch rectifier was also a bit of a strange one. It had a serial in the 6k range (I bought it new back in 96) so that put it firmly in the rev G range. It had the parallel loop, the big logo, but it did have the attached powercord and the 8-16, 8-16, 4, 4 speaker jacks. I never opened up the amp because I sold it before all the revision talk began, so I don't know it was a G for sure. Probably was. Great amp. I with I never sold it.

That was actually pretty common. Let me ask this - was it a standard or chrome chassis?

Back