Does it safe to play the Triple w/out all rectifiers tube?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siouwkurur

Reaction score
Dear forum, i just want to confirm if safe to play the 3 channel Triple Rectifier (the older one, not the reborn/multiwatt). Once i played my Triple with diodes rectification mode selected and no guitar sound coming out from the spkr cab, instead of static noise and whoosing. Since the amp a brand new couple years ago, all the rectifier tubes has never been replaced, and once replace all the preamp and the power amp tubes so i suspected it maybe the Rectifier tubes that failed. I pulled out all 3 5U4GB and play the amp again with rectification select to Silicon Diodes, the amp back to sound normal again. Is it just fine and won't cause any damage if i play this amp without all the rectifier tubes? (I still try to find the fresh 5U4GBs for replacement). Can someone give any idea if the issue with my triple merely from the failed rectifier tube? I try to comprehend this, since i played with rectification selected to silicon diodes and at that time the amp went crap, then when all the rectifier tubes pulled out it sound normal again. Does the rectifiers tube still in the path of the circuit even though the rectification selected to diodes, or, when silicon diodes rectification selected is actually activated 2 rectification system, valves and diodes? :?

I was told it's fine to pull the rectifier tubes....I did it just to stash them as I never used them anyway, obviously assuming you always stick to SS rectification.

siouwkurur said:
Dear forum, i just want to confirm if safe to play the 3 channel Triple Rectifier (the older one, not the reborn/multiwatt). Once i played my Triple with diodes rectification mode selected and no guitar sound coming out from the spkr cab, instead of static noise and whoosing. Since the amp a brand new couple years ago, all the rectifier tubes has never been replaced, and once replace all the preamp and the power amp tubes so i suspected it maybe the Rectifier tubes that failed. I pulled out all 3 5U4GB and play the amp again with rectification select to Silicon Diodes, the amp back to sound normal again. Is it just fine and won't cause any damage if i play this amp without all the rectifier tubes?
Yes, fine.

Can someone give any idea if the issue with my triple merely from the failed rectifier tube? I try to comprehend this, since i played with rectification selected to silicon diodes and at that time the amp went crap, then when all the rectifier tubes pulled out it sound normal again. Does the rectifiers tube still in the path of the circuit even though the rectification selected to diodes, or, when silicon diodes rectification selected is actually activated 2 rectification system, valves and diodes? :?
The rectifier tubes remain in the circuit, but are bypassed by the silicon diodes. So if you have a shorted rectifier tube, you will have to remove it even if the amp is set to silicon diode. (On the 3-channel Rectifier. On the 2-Channel Rectifier, they are actually separate and you don't have to.)

It's likely only one of the three rectifier tubes has failed. Try putting one of the rectifier tubes back in and run the amp on vacuum tube at low volume (this is safe, but don't crank it). If it works, the tube is not faulty. Then try each of the others. Even if you buy three new tubes, keep the two good ones as spares, they may be useful. Rectifiers don't need to be matched so there's no harm in running an old one with a new one.

Thank you for all the valuable information gentlemen. Now it’s clear to me, i can leave the rectifier sockets empty until i get new 5U4GB’s for replacement. When i notice the schematic (if those what provided in net for dual are the right one) in the two channel the selector switch completely disengage the other rectification in one position (either SS or Valve), but on 3 channel version the switch selector disengage of diodes in one position and the other bypassed the valve rectifiers to the diodes path. And also its a good idea to keep the rectifier tubes somewhere out of the amp when just play at hi power Silicon Diodes mode rectification all the time, the benefit come to mind is less heat generated inside the chassis. :)

siouwkurur said:
Thank you for all the valuable information gentlemen. Now it’s clear to me, i can leave the rectifier sockets empty until i get new 5U4GB’s for replacement. When i notice the schematic (if those what provided in net for dual are the right one) in the two channel the selector switch completely disengage the other rectification in one position (either SS or Valve), but on 3 channel version the switch selector disengage of diodes in one position and the other bypassed the valve rectifiers to the diodes path. And also its a good idea to keep the rectifier tubes somewhere out of the amp when just play at hi power Silicon Diodes mode rectification all the time, the benefit come to mind is less heat generated inside the chassis. :)
Yes, that is all correct.

Back