Safe mismatch with MARSHALL MR1960BV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0nn!e

Reaction score
Hello,

this saturday, I'm gonna gig with full(B)stack made of these 2 babies.

These have option to be connected 2x8ohm in stereo (not mine case) or 4ohm/16ohm mono. On rehearsals, I'm playing only one cab connected on 16ohm in mono and I've never played with fullstack so I wonder if I'm going on right way....

There is probably only one possibility:

16ohm / 2 = 8ohm correct match ---> 4ohm outputs on the head to 16ohm on the cabs = safe mismatch?

Is that right? Will it affect the sound anyhow?

Before my Mesa cabs I had 2 Marshall cabs and a Mesa Roadster which only has one 8 ohm jack. I tried the safe mismatch and it sounded terrible to me. I ended up having a custom Y speaker cable made and it sounded right again to me. I would suggest trying the safe mismatch before the show to avoid suprises.

I have plugged in an 8ohm cab into my 4ohm jack in my LSC and actually preferred it. It gave the cab a little more snap and punch. Good for classic rock, maybe not as good for other applications. As suggested, I would try it out before you step on stage.

I've done it as I said. Two 16ohm cabs into two 4ohm outputs on the amp. And I must say it was fucking insane - it was really loud and amazing sound!!! After the soundcheck mr.stage-manager came over and asked me to play some riffs for him - he just squatted right before the cab and listened to it. (he also looked closely on settings) He really liked it! 2ch. Triple Recto FTW!

On the other side, I could barely hear the rest of the band including drummer (which has really special and loud set) lol!

Latest posts

Back