Solo jump on old 2-channel recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0nn!e

Reaction score
Hello,

I've played on 3 channel Dual Recto yesterday and I really liked the SOLO switch with it's own volume potentiometer for solos, it is really useful feature! I have old 2-channel Triple (rev. G) which does not have this; so I'm forced to use both channels for crunch but one is with more gain / volume for solos.

I don't need clean tone nowadays so it doesn't bother me but it will end soon. What solution are you guys using for solo volume on old 2-channels?

What do you think about modifying amp? Any experience or ideas?

Thanks!

You could re-wire the master control with a dual pot and the electronics of the three channel's solo function but I wouldn't encourage it. It would be a lot of effort for something that can be done simply using a boost pedal in the loop.

I would just put a tubescreamer or other stompbox on there. To me it'd be an advantage over a regular solo volume boost, as you can change frequencies/tone in addition to volume jump.

Thanks for replies :)

I guess you are right, EQ in the loop should do the job. I would prefer modifying of Mesa more because I don't like too many cables around stage, but doing some mechanical **** would hurt look and perhaps also the soul of the amp.

So the question is: EQ or Overdrive pedal?

MXR 10 EQ or Boss GE-7?

Tubescreamer or Tubescreamer?

It surely must be 100% true bypass!

Hello again,

and what about this tubescreamer? Is it good one or "shitty new-age production?" Will it do smooth and louder / more penetrative distortion suitable for solos?

It is in local bazaar for like 97 USD. Buy or let for others?

r0nn!e said:
Hello again,

and what about this tubescreamer? Is it good one or "sh!t new-age production?" Will it do smooth and louder / more penetrative distortion suitable for solos?

It is in local bazaar for like 97 USD. Buy or let for others?

That's a good price for that, it will suit your needs nicely. Double check that it works there if you can. :)
It's built rather well and is popular with boosting recto's, but Maxon OD808's are even more popular for use with recto's (they have less mid hump than a TS9, but mids are what you want for solos, so the TS9 would be the better choice)

If you want a boost in volume, place an EQ in the loop as mentioned in the other posts. MXR 10 band or Danelectro Fish n' Chips. Forget the Boss GE-7, too noisy...... and forget a tubescreamer if you want a boost, unless.......

.......you want more compression for more liquid type playing (depending on gain settings). It won't give you a volume boost unless you're amp has clean settings and has the headroom for the pedal's extra gain/volume to take up that headroom = increase in volume (clean amp settings only).

Well, I play with gain at 2'o'clock, so there is not much room for TS9 ey?

Danelectro looks very weak, I don't think it could survive gigging?

So it still looks like MXR M108 is best choice for me because it doesn't suck the tone huh? (at least you guys hyping it like that)

EDIT: What does "liquid" mean? Can you place YT example of "liquid tone" and "non-liquid" tone?

r0nn!e said:
Well, I play with gain at 2'o'clock, so there is not much room for TS9 ey?

Danelectro looks very weak, I don't think it could survive gigging?

So it still looks like MXR M108 is best choice for me because it doesn't suck the tone huh? (at least you guys hyping it like that)

EDIT: What does "liquid" mean? Can you place YT example of "liquid tone" and "non-liquid" tone?

With gain that high, an EQ in the loop is what you want. MXR is good. The Danelectro may not survive stomping on a daily basis.

Liquid is just a term used to describe the amps natural ability to how easy it is to play solos/lead. For example, the rectos aren't known for ease of playing solos (great as a rhythm machine). They just don't have the natural sustain/compression, unless gain is extremely high, and even then it's not quite smooth (liquid enough). The single notes just don't blend into each other smoothly like running water (hence the term liquid).

Try legato runs or finger tapping with gain turned down to 11~12o'clock. It's very choppy, almost stacato-ish, ie. not smooth and liquid-like. A Mark series amp is much better and easier; they have a great, smooth gain structure that makes them easy to play. Listen to Santana for some great examples of smooth, liquidy-type solos (experience counts but the tools make it easier).

The rectos need a good OD out front and if the pedal is balanced against the amps gain setting, you can get them to sing. I use two OD's out front, one to push the front end as I don't like the amps natural recto tone on it's own (for rhythm), and the other to add the final push for solos; for sustain and ease of playing solos. FYI, my amps gain is usually around 10~11oclock.

I hear ya man, thanx for answer. I noticed that Rectos are little bit unpleasant for leads. Doing legatos and **** is really hard and not much fun.

And MXR 10EQ would help liquidity or only pushing sound through the band?

EQ will help you cut through. Boost the mids (upside down V shape on the sliders, smooth the curve though) and up the EQ output level = help cut through and volume boost.

For smoother playing, push the front end with an OD. What you need to look out for is uncontrolled feedback. With gain at 2oclock on the amp plus an OD may = disaster. You really need to find a balance.

I don't know what pedal others use for solos. I know many use a TS9/808 to tighten the amp but many videos I see is all rhythm type stuff. It's like solos are taboo or something with rectos. I like the Wampler Pinnacle, Wampler Plextortion, Marshall Drive Master, MI Audio Tube Zone, MI Audio Blues Pro to name a few pedals that I have. Coupled with an EQ after the OD you can really tame the pedal before it hits the amp. Sometimes I use a compressor in combination. It's a fine balancing act to make all this work, it's not just plug and play.

It's not easy for me to say buy this or that pedal. Your playing style and setup is different to mine. What suits me may not suit you. Just try stuff and experiment. It's the only way you'll learn what works for you and your gear.

Blaklynx said:
For smoother playing, push the front end with an OD. What you need to look out for is uncontrolled feedback. With gain at 2oclock on the amp plus an OD may = disaster. You really need to find a balance.

A compressor works really well for this. More compression without the extra distortion produced by an OD pedal or by pushing the V1 tube harder.

What about this one? (Ibanez CP-9 from made between '81 and 84') On local bazaar for about 92 USD.

And compressor should be IN LOOP of before the AMP?

r0nn!e said:
What about this one? (Ibanez CP-9 from made between '81 and 84') On local bazaar for about 92 USD.

Can be used in either position, but I prefer it before the amp. It makes the lead sound fat instead of screaming.

screamingdaisy said:
r0nn!e said:

Can be used in either position, but I prefer it before the amp. It makes the lead sound fat instead of screaming.

Good call for compressor, screamingdaisy. It is another option rather than just an OD pedal.

I've used a compressor in the loop but at very low compression levels. It works well, just to even out the signal a little bit but not too much. At high settings, I don't think it'll work that well. Plus I prefer compressors with Attack controls in combination with the Threshold / Level for the loop. Agree with your remark about out front of amp for lead stuff.

Can anyone recommend a good compressor pedal? I have just started to think about purchasing one so and advice would be great.

Cheers

I've used an MXR Dyna Comp with good results.

My best results have been with the compressor built into the TC Electronic G-System... and unfortunately they don't make a pedal version and I don't know which pedal would be the best to suggest to you.

Back