FX Loop mod information please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WannaBoogie

Reaction score
I have been searching the forum with every phrase I can think of in order to find the definitive scoop on the DR3ch MW effects loop situation as well as the mod information.

I have a whole slew of Boss pedals as well as a GT-10 that all sound like junk through the FX loop. I'm under the impression that the FX loop circuit needs to be modded somehow to function as a serial loop (???).

If someone can point me to the information (since I obviously can't operate the forum search properly :oops: ) It would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

WannaBoogie said:
I have been searching the forum with every phrase I can think of in order to find the definitive scoop on the DR3ch MW effects loop situation as well as the mod information.

I have a whole slew of Boss pedals as well as a GT-10 that all sound like junk through the FX loop. I'm under the impression that the FX loop circuit needs to be modded somehow to function as a serial loop (???).

If someone can point me to the information (since I obviously can't operate the forum search properly :oops: ) It would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
The new Multi-watt Recto's already have a serial loop (that's why there is only a "Send Level" control & no "Mix" control).
Recto-FXloop-detail-600_fs.jpg

How high do you have your Channel Masters and FX Send level? Maybe you are clipping the pedals?

I've owned a GT-3, GT-5, and still own a GT-6. IMHO they sound like crap through anything other than a full-range PA or good pair of headphones (I use mine to practice at home this way).

FWIW- I use a TC G-Major in the serial loop of my Roadster and it sounds great!

Dom

Thanks for the reply. What a relief I don't have to cut anything. :D

But, you're right. I must be doing something wrong.

The channel masters are rarely set above 10:00...

I am wondering if I still have a bad tube in V3 or V4. I swapped them for Chinese as part of this process. But, maybe I missed a trick. Perhaps some setting on the GT-10 is causing this. But, my TR-2, DD-7 and DS-1 by themselves still sound like junk.

I will continue to read until I figure it out. I'm still a bit new at this. Surely this must be some newbie mistake that I will laugh at once I sort it out.

Thanks again for taking time to reply.

I really don't have a good answer for that Dom...

The (errant?) assumption was that effects pedals go into the effects loop. Keep in mind I come from a solid state parallel universe where everything was "built in" and the footswitch was your effects pedal.

I was not aware of guidelines for what goes in front and what goes in the loop. But, I am definitely ready to learn... Any reading materials to suggest?

I got the effects that I like, the pedal-board itself, and scoured the net for details on what order the pedal-board should be arranged. But, I never considered to split effects into separate loop/in front classes... The rabbit hole just got deeper.

Cheers

The general guideline is time-based effects, like delay and reverb go in the FX Loop, while pedals that amplify your signal, like OD's, Distortion & Boost, go in front. Wahs sound better out front as well. Effects like Chorus, Flange & Phase are a matter of taste.

I always run Wahs, OD's and Boosters out front, and Delay & Reverb after the preamp (in the FX Loop). With dirty tones I like the Chorus & Flange in the FX Loop with Phaser in front.

Also, the FX Loop in your Recto is a Line-Level signal, while most effect pedals are made for instrument level (much lower) signals.

Dom

Sorry. But, I guess this thread has become about effects now. But, I have one more question...

What about the GT-10? It has all classes of effects built into it. If I chose to use it (instead of the various stomp boxes) Is there a graceful way to incorporate it? or will it always be a compromise no matter where it's connected?

Look into the "4 cable method" for hooking up to the amp. This will put the Recto's preamp section in the GT-10's Loop, allowing you to put some effects in front of the amp, and some in the amp's FX Loop.

Be sure to turn OFF all preamp and cabinet modeling in the GT-10.

1st cable: Guitar to GT-10 Input
2nd cable: GT-10 Ext Loop SEND to amp Input
3rd cable: Amp FX Loop SEND to GT-10 Ext Loop RETURN
4th cable: GT-10 Mono Output to Amp FX Loop RETURN

Be warned, there are alot of signal levels to properly set up. I'm sure the BOSS forums can help there :wink:

I think you would be better off with stomp boxes out front, and a high quality FX unit in the FX Loop, YMMV. The GT-Series of processors were really designed to be used into a full range PA and that is where they sound best IMO.

Good Luck,
Dom

Dom, as always... good information. Thanks for being so thorough.

I'm not one to insist on putting a square widget into a circular orifice. So, the GT-10 is out of the mix. I have my necessary effect pedals.
I Just to figure out how to use the combinations I want when they are on different sides of the "fence"

Cheers

Remember, what I told you are guidelines, not hard rules. There really is no "right" or "wrong" way to use effects, if it sounds good so be it!

You could also try running all your effects in front of the amp. Many great amps (The original JCM800 2203/2204 amps for example) did not have an effects loop so into the front end was the only option.

Good luck with your tone-quest :D !

Dom

Latest posts

Back