Need some Rectifier advice!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronhimself

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I got a great deal on a 3 channel Triple Rectifier this week. I was in the market for one of the older 2 channel Duals, or a Rackmount Dual, but this Triple popped up on craigslist for a price I couldn't refuse.

Here is my question:

Would it be worth my time to sell this one and snag an early 2 channel or a Rackmount? I know this is a very common question, but is there THAT much difference in tone? Sorry to beat a dead horse fellas, but I have to ask :).

Thanks!

I'd say it's not worth the effort, enjoy the Triple. I run a Mark V and a Triple 3 channel and have no desire to upgrade to the Reborn series. If you were starting from scratch then yeah, get a multi watt just for that reason alone.

Cameronhimself said:
Would it be worth my time to sell this one and snag an early 2 channel or a Rackmount? I know this is a very common question, but is there THAT much difference in tone? Sorry to beat a dead horse fellas, but I have to ask :).

Thanks!
They're close! Unless you were to go for a Pre-500, the change in tone is very small. I'd just mod the Triple, myself. But if that wasn't an option, I'd probably go for one of the earlier Rectifiers if I was looking for the Rectifier sound.

But the change in tone is very slight. 3-channel has a tiny bit more bite and fizz, and the 2-channel has a little more depth and girth.

If you're happy with what you got, then keep it. If you're dissatisfied with the tone you get, and feel like you're missing just that little more, spring for a 2 channel.

Just to elaborate, I used to own a very early series 1 rectoverb combo that sounded great. I also had a Mark III, and I currently own a early Mark IVa along with the triple. So, I've had some Boogie experience.

The reason I'm curious about the triple, is that I always hear how much smoother and organic the 2 channels and the Tremoverbs sound, and how the 3 channels are totally different. But, people tend to exaggerate, so Ive come to the experts. I have no way of testing out any older rectos, so that's my problem.

They're not totally different, they're kind of different. The nice thing about the 3 channel heads is having 3 channels so you can dial in a dedicated lead, rhythm, and clean tone.

I had one of the early ones, and now I have a more current Triple, I dont think its worth the bother, the new one has an additional channel, plus the boost for pumping your leads.

Theres not that much difference, just learn to really work the amp you have and get the sound you have in your head, you will drive yourself crazy chasing this or that tone if you arent careful.

Back