Any problems with the Mini Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waygorked

Reaction score
I just returned my third Transatlantic 30. If they ever fix all the issues related to the buzzing loop on the gain channel, I will happily buy a 4th one, as I absolutely loved the tones of that amp, alas.

So I have just brought home a Mini Rectifier for an extended audition. While it lacks the Vox top boost sound that I loved so much, everything else is stellar. I think I could like with this amp, assuming it actually does what it is supposed to do. I am assuming that as Mesa has a much longer history with similar circuitry, the likelihood of design flaws similar to those that plague the TA30 should be much smaller.

Are there any problems that have been identified with these?

my only problem with the mini rectumfrier is that it's not currently chillin' in guitar room.

waygorked said:
I just returned my third Transatlantic 30. If they ever fix all the issues related to the buzzing loop on the gain channel, I will happily buy a 4th one, as I absolutely loved the tones of that amp, alas.

So I have just brought home a Mini Rectifier for an extended audition. While it lacks the Vox top boost sound that I loved so much, everything else is stellar. I think I could like with this amp, assuming it actually does what it is supposed to do. I am assuming that as Mesa has a much longer history with similar circuitry, the likelihood of design flaws similar to those that plague the TA30 should be much smaller.

Are there any problems that have been identified with these?

I've had mine since the first shipments went out and I haven't had any technical issues. I play mine on a regular basis.

The only thing that you have to watch out for is switching channels when each channel is set up with different wattage. For example, 25w on ch1 and 10w on ch2. There is a small pop when in the switching. The manual of the amp warns about this and it makes sense because of the change in voltage going from 25w to 10w. To tell you the truth is not bad at all. When both channels are on the same wattage this does not occur. Just something to watch out for.

I've played a few now and I have to agree, I think the Rec sounds WAY better with the EL84's. I don't know if it's truely because of it's low wattage or what, but it feels more real to me then it's bigger bros. I don't have any use for using one within a band context 'cuz it falls short of the headroom for what I do, but for some future studio use, I can see it happenin'.

I don't have noticed any problem on my Mini Rec.
Mine is one of the first 230v shipment in europe.
I use fx loop with multi effects, everything's OK !!!

No issues or problems with my Mini

But I would wish for more spare time to play it

I have had my Mini Recto for about 6 weeks now with zero problems at all! It sounds great, very inspiring to play, and can be set at low and fairly high volumes while still sounding great through my 212 recto cab!! The loop works great as well!

Best of luck!! :D

I've had mine since October, I play it all the time, and I've had no problems with it. Well, other than the wife complaining about how loud it is. :D

Is mes going to reissue the single recto down the road with an EL84 power section like the mini :O

MesaENGR412 said:
Seanthesheep said:
Is mes going to reissue the single recto down the road with an EL84 power section like the mini :O

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...91-amps/210413000000185?src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

You could use these in your current 6L6/EL-34 equipped amp (like the Single Rec) and run EL-84's in it. Since this is available, I don't see Mesa changing the power of a Single Rec to EL-84's.

-AJH

Agreed. There is no chance.

If they felt a compelling need to discontinue a versatile amp such as the single rectifier that offered the choice of 6L6s or EL34s, why would they ever re-introduce a version that only runs on EL84s?

EDIT: Plus, EL84s are only for lower wattage amps, right? You don't use those for 50 watt or greater amps, correct?

krash said:
EDIT: Plus, EL84s are only for lower wattage amps, right? You don't use those for 50 watt or greater amps, correct?

It says in their description on the link that the actual adaptors along with the tubes reduce the overall wattage of the head, and with a 50 watt amp, their output is reduced to around 20 watts, and for a 100 watt amp, the power is about 40 watts, so I guess you could theoretically use them with just about anything.

_AJH

40watts worth of Yellow Jackets / EL-84s will still be quite loud!

When I use Yellow Jackets, I run only two of them to run my Recto at 20watts. I used to use it this way ALL the time and now I use it loaded to the gills with 6L6s. It tears paint off walls but sounds SOO good. The Yellow Jackets give a 'different' tone than a Mini Recto. You end up with something that has more mids and is less phat or thick in the lows. If you turn the bass way down and crank the master, the power tubes start to clip and the result is a really different flavour of overdrive. The best speaker cab I've tried with this configuration is a Marshall 1960ax 4 x 12. Nothing can touch it.

Going to try the YJs with an Electra Dyne 27" cab when it arrives. Hopefully the result is favourable!

played my new mini recto quite a bit today. picked it up around noon..already has a good 4 hours on it :wink: this is one of the best sounding amps i've ever played. I buy/sell/trade amps quite a bit, always tone chasing, but I think I just caught the tone I've been looking for. No issues in the first longggg playthrough

My Mini Rectifier has no Bass Control in the Vintage/Modern Channel anymore.
It doesn't matter if the bass knob is 7:00 or 5:00, it sounds the same.
It sounds as if it was a little before middle position, and sounds with a weak bass...
The clean Channel remains perfect.
Has anyone already heard about this and guess what may be?
Tubes, or something else in the circuitry?
Thanks

Back