That Maddening Popping sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WannaBoogie

Reaction score
I have seen a few mentions of the irritating POP! when switching channels on the DR 3ch (and others). It is the only irritating design flaw that I have identified in my DR so far. But, as the pop sounds MANY decibels louder than I am generally playing, I have to remember to a) Stop b) turn master down c) switch channels and d) reset volume to proper level... (The acrobatics are necessary so the neurotic dog won't have kittens every time the POP occurs)

So, 3 questions...

1) Has anyone found a workable fix for this?

2) Can that POP damage the speakers in my cab?

3) Does the POP also occur when you change via the foot switch?
(No, I don't have one just yet. See my other posts if you are curious as to why)

Thanks

That pop is normal for 3 ch duals/triples.
The usual way to lessen it is to switch between all 3 channels for about a minute while your amp is warming up on standby.
It will lessen the pops dramatically.

When they started producing the 3 channel recto heads, they switched from LDR optic switching (which was noiseless) to relay switching. IIRC the reason the relays cause the "pop" is due to built up static in the switching system being released.

WannaBoogie said:
1) Has anyone found a workable fix for this?

The fix for me was to buy the new "Multiwatt" Reborn Dual Rectifier.
I bought it for the tone, but I also had to have instant channel switching with no dropouts or popping sounds. It doesn't pop like the older models.

I've owned a few channel switching heads that popped. They were unusable to me in a live setting.

Mine doesn't pop if I select all channels beforehand in standby mode before turning the standby switch to the on position...

KH Guitar Freak said:
Mine doesn't pop if I select all channels beforehand in standby mode before turning the standby switch to the on position...

Yeah Thanks also to Domct! for the "12312 on standby" hint. That did seem to alleviate the problem.

To get rid of the pop switche between all channels a few times while in stadby mode... then go into full on or "play mode" and do it again after that you should have a very barely noticable sound.

This style relay is far more reliable and has a much longer life than the silent optical type. I've seen the optical type go within year... follow the above and you will be good to go... the latency is barely noticable on my Roadking but I've heard other amps where there is a definet delay.

Latest posts

Back